Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Friendly Advice for a first trip to The Valley?

Hello kind residents of Charlton Life! I'm a Canadian who will be in London at the end of the month and would love to get a bit of football in during my visit. Admittedly, I am an Arsenal fan but there is zero chance I can either afford or obtain tickets to their game against ManU on the 22nd(thankfully that game is a late kick off so I can just nip to the pub after to catch it).

Because your fair football club still seems to believe that pricing tickets affordably is the right thing to do, and because you happen to be playing a South London Derby against Millwall I thought a trip to The Valley might be the best football matchday experience on offer for me during my trip.

Sooooooo my question for you is what can I expect? I hope that the atmosphere will be good for the derby(pretty much any atmosphere is better than the Emirates). What stand will have the best atmosphere? Good pub to hit pre-match?

Any and all advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Sits back and waits for the inevitable accusations of "your milwall"
  • Options
    his millwall

ps dont wear anything flamable
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2014
    The Antigallican (opposite the train station) is the away fans pub, and the Liberal club is tickets only I believe.

Rose of Denmark, or pubs in Greenwich might be better, and if your truly neutral go for the North Stand
  • Options
    Errr... When Millwall play at the Valley you may find a few of the pubs change their opening hours.

Dress code for this: have you got a tin hat?

Anyway welcome to our fair stadium. Get tickets in the North Upper for atmosphere and avoid the toilets at half time if you don't smoke!

Afterwards make your way to Greenwich for pubs etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick responses and the help. Just rang the ticket office and they said that without membership I've no chance of buying a ticket because now that Millwall have sold out their away allotment they aren't going to take any chances selling to unknowns. So I can understand why you guys might think I'm Millwall(it's almost like they have a bad rep or something).

Any suggestions on how I might get a ticket? I'd also be up to meet pre match for a pint if any of you lovely Addicks would care to educate a poor cannuck on the illustrious history of your club.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Canadian, eh... you wouldn't happen to know our Leroy?

Leroy and I go way back.
  • Options
    Why do we only appear to get these posts a few weeks before the Millwall match........
  • Options
    How much is membership?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome
    @TheArgsenal‌

Few Canada based addicks on here, where you based fella?
  • Options

Thanks for the quick responses and the help. Just rang the ticket office and they said that without membership I've no chance of buying a ticket because now that Millwall have sold out their away allotment they aren't going to take any chances selling to unknowns. So I can understand why you guys might think I'm Millwall(it's almost like they have a bad rep or something).

Any suggestions on how I might get a ticket? I'd also be up to meet pre match for a pint if any of you lovely Addicks would care to educate a poor cannuck on the illustrious history of your club.

not going to happen, maybe check out fulham or another london club in your stay.
  • Options
    Sitdaaaan
  • Options

You sound a decent guy (way too good for Bumnal). Consider it sorted.

One condition - change that username, PLEASE !!!!

Prepare to become Addickted - you know it makes sense ....
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Wow, @GlassHalfFull, that's a super kind offer. I'll happily change my username, but I think I need mod permission. Maybe ChARGton AFC would please you? (ARG are my initials).
  • Options

Welcome
    @TheArgsenal‌

Few Canada based addicks on here, where you based fella?

Thanks! I'm from Toronto originally but I've been living in Edinburgh the past year.
  • Options

OK - no worries. Ask those nice people at Admin.

Plse send me a private message and we can sort the job out.
  • Options
    Didn't we have all this last year with an American? The writer of Ecclesiastes was right - there is nothing new under the sun.
  • Options
    If you're looking to be in the thick of the atmosphere then North Upper, but chances are you'll be standing for 90 minutes (especially if we win). If you want to sit down the NW quadrant is good. I sit there of I'm going with my old man. Your close enough to the atmosphere, tickets are slightly cheaper, and he gets a chance to rest his legs.

A lot of very nice pubs in Greenwich, as @Bryan_Kynsie‌ said a lot of the pubs near the ground may be closed or alter their opening hours on match day to avoid any trouble, although you won't find any unless you go looking for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wise choice Cannuk to combine a trip back to the mother ship and an intense study of its culture with specific field research into South London footballing codes of practice.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying that our Canadian friend should try to get a red card membership through the club as they might only be selling Millwall tickets to members?
  • Options

Thought Millwall only put tickets on sale to their lot today!?!
  • Options

anyone would think it's a cup final!
  • Options
    Millwall supporter.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Millwall supporter.

Didn't we have the same question from an American last year?

• Options

Just rang the ticket office and they said that without membership I've no chance of buying a ticket because now that Millwall have sold out their away allotment they aren't going to take any chances selling to unknowns.

Millwall tickets don't even go on sale until Monday.

"Tickets go on sale to season ticket holders on Monday 10th November from 9.30am and to members on Wednesday 12th November from 9.30am"
  • Options

I didn't even realise Millwall had an allotment.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Millwall supporter.

Which was why I lol'd his message as soon as posted ...too obvious
  • Options
    "Nip" to the pub. ,!.,!!,,,,,,!!! Nip means ' to pinch and seize or bite' , it's right there in the dictionary. Gave it away straight away. He want to pinch and seize or bite at the pub.!!

Spanner.