Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Jones

edited October 2014 in General Charlton
Born: 9/1/1963 Wrexham
Debut: Sheffield Wednesday Away 26/9/1987. Final Match: Barnsley Home 29/9/1990
Honours: Six Wales full caps, three whilst at Charlton.

Andy Jones joined from Third Division side Port Vale for a club record fee of £350,000 in September 1987 after beating off numerous sides for his signature including Manchester United and a certain Alex Ferguson. Jones had an impressive record of 49 league goals in 90 appearances for the Valiants during his 2 years.

His time at Charlton has him scoring 20 goals in 79 league and cup appearances. During the 88/89 season Charlton were willing to sell Jones back to Port Vale for a £175,000 fee, but he refused the move. However he did end up back on loan there along with another loan spell at Bristol City. He was sold to Bournemouth for £80,000 in October 1990.

Further spells at Leyton Orient, Poole Town and Havant occurred. After leaving the game due to injury, Jones became a financial advisor. He later took up residency in Ringwood, Dorset, working as a director of his own food waste recycling company.

I remember Andy's spell of the club but what do other lifers remember of his time in South East London

Comments

• Options
    I can remember him and I am surprised he scored 20 goals for us as I don`t remember many of them.
  • Options
    Very good with he's head not to bad with his feet apart from the odd moment the open goal miss at Oldham on the plastic pitch spring's to mind!. But he help keep us up too
  • Options
    He scored a few in 88/89 including one against Derby when we beat them 3-0 to confirm staying up for another season. Also a couple at Luton on the plastic pitch. In a 5-2 defeat.

Ultimately a disappointment though.....

• Options
    I was seeing a girl from Prestatyn at the time we signed him and made her come with me to a Rhyll town (his first club) reserve match so I could visit the programme shop to buy a couple that he had played in.

Used to get a lot more excited about charlton than I do now.
  • Options
    I remember Neville Southall making an incredible save against him - scrambled across his goal and blocking a shot from about 2 yards.

Jonah should have buried it but didn't expect Southall to cover that much ground so quickly.

Had the pleasure of a round of golf with Andy a few years back - lovely fella and by christ can he hit a golf ball! Plays off either 4 or 6 handicap if I recall correctly
  • Options
    I good striker but never really lived up to expectation.
  • Options
    Jones narked Lennie Lawrence almost immediately when he said he was using Charlton as a stepping-stone to a bigger club. So Lennie rarely played him, preferring Leaburn instead - not one of his better judgements. With his natural attacking talents, Jones should have had a much more successful career.
  • Options
    This is only a rumour but I heard a story that, after taking a girl out for a drink and a "slap up" bag of crisps, he invited her back to his place, shall we say, to round the evening off .

They then spent the rest of the evening watching a video - of all the goals he'd scored.

As I say I'm sure it is only a rumour and can't be true. Any normal bloke would at least have bought her a big mac rather than just a bag of crisps wouldn't they?
  • Options
    A big disappointment and one of the few gambles by Lennie that didn't come off, although I guess it's hard to jump two divisions at once. Jones never really looked 100% fit to me.
  • Options
    Thought he was shocking, overweight with a shit touch.

Didn't we opt to sign him over Steve Bull or something????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think it's fair to say that Andy did not mind a beer and that the fit, ripped athletic body he joined us with in the October of 1987 did not last that long.

Given chances he could score goals but fitness was clearly an issue and his career petered out.
  • Options
    Remember that Everton game at Selhurst... couldn't believe 1) he didn't score and 2) Southall got to it
  • Options
    I showed him a yellow card at Gravesend when he was with Havant or Poole, can't remember which. Harry wouldn't have been impressed with his conditioning.....
  • Options
    I remember the Everton miss but even worse was the famous 28,000 'sell out' game v Liverpool in 1987/88 on their long unbeaten run when Jones missed a sitter - at the same end!

Think Ablett made a crazy back pass - with the score at 0-0 - and Jones fluffed an open goal when he scuffed his shot straight at Grobelaar.

Not long after Barnes bamboozled Johnny H and set up Beardsley for their opener and our chance to make history was gone.
  • Options
    Remember a boxing day game early kick off in which he scored a very early goal (maybe against Portsmouth). Was just recovering as i had rode pushbike to ground because 75 bus wasn't running until later.
  • Options

Remember a boxing day game early kick off in which he scored a very early goal (maybe against Portsmouth). Was just recovering as i had rode pushbike to ground because 75 bus wasn't running until later.

Yes, definitely vs Pompey.
  • Options
    Stone said:

I showed him a yellow card at Gravesend when he was with Havant or Poole, can't remember which. Harry wouldn't have been impressed with his conditioning.....

Redknapp was the Bournemouth manager who bought Jones from Charlton in 1990.
  • Options
    Some Andy Jones goals;

Very good header to equalise late on at Nottingham Forest in a 2-2.
    The curling effort from outside the box at home to Spurs.
    The two headers away to Luton when were 5-0 down (he was a sub that day).
    A near post side foot at home to Norwich on Mortimer's (or "Mortimore's"..) debut.
    The aforementioned close range header at home to Derby.

John Humphrey gave me his honest opinion the night before the Soccer Sixes and felt that Andy wasn't quite good enough and that's why he didn't get in the team. Shame because I thought he was ok and he'd cost us a massive amount of money!!! (£325k?).
  • Options
    He got a couple in the second half at Southampton, we were three down at half time. Razor Ruddock got a couple that day too.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

He got a couple in the second half at Southampton, we were three down at half time. Razor Ruddock got a couple that day too.

Yep...he got one v Southampton (Tommy Caton got the other one with a great free-kick). Seem to remember our nemesis, Jimmy Case got one for Saints. Lost 3-2.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok I was wrong, thought he got both but I stand corrected.
  • Options
    Too young to remember any of his qualities (beyond his hair, which was very fashionable at the time). However, I remember Leaburn's qualities, and the same with Williams and Melrose. So that says a bit.
  • Options
    That game at Southampton was just so typical of that season. A quick burst of goals and we were out of the game, followed by a quick burst of our goals to give us forlorn hope.

I guess when we went down we were kind of expecting Andy Jones to score a hatful of goals and to get us straight back up. It didn't happen and we were reliant on Gordon Watson's goals to keep our heads above water.
  • Options
    The miss in front of an open goal at Oldham had to be the worst.

Also dishonourable mention to the Palace "away" match in the relegation season and the yellow shorts he must've painted on.
  • Options
    Is that the miss where the commentator reaction was "Ohhhhhhhhhh dear, dear, dear,dear,dear!" Seen it on the highlights of that season. Oldham had a plastic pitch as well back then.
  • Options
    the last 80's version of Andy Delort..............promised much but delivered v.little. I always had a soft spot for him & preferred him over Leaburn, but ultimately he was out of his depth in that league.
  • Options
    I remember two goals in an FA cup replay at Bradford. He came to our bar a few years back, nice bloke.
  • Options
    HandG said:

He scored a few in 88/89 including one against Derby when we beat them 3-0 to confirm staying up for another season. Also a couple at Luton on the plastic pitch. In a 5-2 defeat.

Ultimately a disappointment though.....

I was at the Derby game - vaguely recall being surprised when he scored and that we won so easily, as every Selhurst game was a real struggle in those days. Though in my head it was a ball over the top between the centre-backs that he ran on to, hitting a first-time shot, left-footed on the bounce, into the corner. Cracking finish, keeper barely moved - might even have been Shilts, which would explain that. Though I could be thinking of a completely different goal.

I was a pig-in-muck excited kid when he signed for us, and couldn't believe we paid 300k+ for him as we really didn't have the proverbial pot to micturate in back then. A Guardian preview of a game at West Ham (I think) not long after he joined said that their defence would need to be on their guard against Jones and Garth Crooks. I remember thinking 'why?', so he obviously hadn't made much of an impact even at that early stage.

I always liked Jonesy - probably because we paid real money for him - but watching him and David Campbell trying to play up front together really was like watching two individuals completely divided by the language of football. Problem was, we couldn't afford an interpreter.
  • Options
    An early example of being 'charltonised'

that Oldham miss was one where you had to rub your eyes to believe you witnessed it , although in those days I , thankfully, was always pissed watching us away from home
  • Options
    Got very excited when we signed Andy from Port Vale and even covered one of my school excerise books with a player profile of him from Shoot or Match Magazine. Was there at Hillsborough for his league debut on a Junior Red away trip. Not one of Lennie's better buys.