Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nespresso or Tassimo?

I've decided I'm fed up drinking crap coffee indoors (never drink instant) so I want to join the machine brigade. Only trouble is there are so many decisions to make.

I want a machine that does all the range of drinks (latte , espresso , hot chocolate) but also not sure which one works out best in the long run financially.

Who's got what on here?

Comments

• Options
    If you want a machine that does a range of drinks then Tassimo is for you as it has all different varieties.
  • Options
    I've got one of these. Makes good espresso, filter soffee and has a milk heater. Also, you aren't forced to use the pods. Bit more effort to use than a nespresso (got one at work... About 30p a drink at wholesale price, but decent)

http://www.pluckpoint.com/morphy-richards-47010-combination-coffee-machine/product
  • Options
    I have Nesspresso machines going cheap buckshee neatly half price brand new in box then wait till Jan and the other one will go on sale you cam have both
  • Options
    Nespresso is very good. Very good coffee and loads of variety. Also, the patent on the pods has lapsed so you don't have to order them online any more.
    I got a Krups espresso maker for my office - only about £80, but if you've got the money, the ones that do cappuccinos are better.
  • Options
    We've got a Nespresso, coffee is great but the only drawback is that the coffee is only available online or from one of their shops (nearest is Regent Street).

There are lots of "alternative" pods available online but none of them were as good as the originals in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    BDL said:

We've got a Nespresso, coffee is great but the only drawback is that the coffee is only available online or from one of their shops (nearest is Regent Street).

There are lots of "alternative" pods available online but none of them were as good as the originals in my opinion.

The ones in Waitrose are just as good IMO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I've had so much coffee I can't think or control my fingers any more.

• Options
    Uboat said:

BDL said:

Have they made the caps tighter? We didn't get a decent cup from our machine, the water didn't seem to flow well through them.

• Options
    Tea
  • Options
    Is his the most middle class thread on charltonlife?

Teaspoon of Nescafé, 95 degree water and milk and sugar as required
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDL said:

Uboat said:

BDL said:

Have they made the caps tighter? We didn't get a decent cup from our machine, the water didn't seem to flow well through them.

I haven't had any trouble with them. They sell two different brands and both seem good.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Nespresso is very good. Very good coffee and loads of variety. Also, the patent on the pods has lapsed so you don't have to order them online any more.
    I got a Krups espresso maker for my office - only about £80, but if you've got the money, the ones that do cappuccinos are better.

Ah, that explains why yesterday for the first time i was able to buy a rival brand in a German hypermarket. Good news, will bring prices down.

My advice is, don't let anyone persuade you to buy a 'real' espresso machine. We bought a swanky one for the office, one that grinds the beans for each cup. It looked good, smelt good, and tasted good, but every three months or so it broke down, and being in Prague we had to wait 30 days for them to fix it each time. It was the most unreliable purchase since my Fiat 128.

So went the Nespresso route because Nestle promise that if they go wrong they will lend you one while yours is being fixed. Don't know if that offer is made in the UK, but we have never had to test it. Totally reliable. Perhaps not quite as good as at your local Italian, but you can always pop round there for a "social coffee".

• Options
    Blimey, I feel like I've landed on another planet. Don't understand a word of this.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Blimey, I feel like I've landed on another planet. Don't understand a word of this.

You put a pod in the machine, press a button and coffee comes out.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I have a nespresso machine and like it. Basically you can get a really good cup of coffee for about 35 pence that costs over 2 quid when you're out. One of the impulse luxury purchases I don't regret!
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Stig said:

You put a pod in the machine, press a button and coffee comes out.

Hope that helps.
    If only it were that simple.
  • Options
    Neither. Freshly ground beans are a must. I use a Siemens machine that does this for me. It cost a fortune but at least I don't have to buy the rip-off pods.
  • Options
    Nespresso for me; the variety of flavours is exceptional and perfetly packaged. On taste I would bet that very few could tell their drink was not made from freshly ground.
  • Options
    I seriously have not got a clue what Nepresso or Tassimo are. What ever happened to a normal cup of coffee?
  • Options

I seriously have not got a clue what Nepresso or Tassimo are. What ever happened to a normal cup of coffee?

Flavour
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the end of day if you have milk and or sugar with it, it doesn't matter what make you use.

Will leave this thread for the caffeinistas.
  • Options
    Tassimo is fantastic swapped from a Dolce Gusto, the range is superb, hot Choc and teas go with it as well
    Suchards & Milka hot choc to die for, Mrs love the caramel Latte, best thing i have purchased in a while love it
  • Options
    However nothing beats a perfect cup of tea, nothing. For me Sainsbury's gold label is the way to go.
  • Options
    Nespresso or Tassimo?

Difficult one.... Both good players.
  • Options
    Yorkshire tea
  • Options
    I have a deLonghi coffee machine. Brilliant purchase. Makes excellent espresso, which can be used for americanos; and has a milk steamer, so you can make latte or cappuccino.

At the weekend, I grind the beans using a deLonghi grinder and have a great coffee while reading the Guardian or Observer. During the week (when there's less time in the morning ahead of the commute to the office), the machine also takes non-proprietary, paper pods, which are much better for the environment than the aluminium pods that some other makes use. Waitrose do their own brand of paper pods.

So that's: coffee machine, espresso, americano, latte, cappuccino, Guardian, Observer, commute, environment, Waitrose. That's pretty much the full house of middle class words in one post.
  • Options
    My Tassimo is awesome, a really worthwhile purchase.

I think I've had it for about 18 months now; and had zero issues. There's a decent range of pods, which are a bit pricey I guess, but good for "novelty" drinks too - i.e Oreo.

Can't say much for Nespresso, but I've heard good things about them too.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Neither. Freshly ground beans are a must. I use a Siemens machine that does this for me. It cost a fortune but at least I don't have to buy the rip-off pods.

Ah that's where I went wrong. I bought an Italian machine, foolishly thinking that if there was one thing the Italians would do well, it would be espresso machines. But of course its the Germans who make machines that are reliable...
  • Options
    Got a tassimo, it's great, other than having to descale it, every now and again.
  • Options
    Tip with Tassimo is don't buy the latte or cappuccino, just buy the espresso and heat your milk separately in the micro. That way you half the price and you are not buying their chemically enhanced milk.