Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Henderson signs 3 year deal (ed. from Pg 3) !

edited July 2014 in General Charlton
@SkySportsPeteO: Charlton are closing in on the signing of West Ham goalkeeper Stephen Henderson. #whufc #cafc http://t.co/YZ7CWqnexG

Thought it deserved it's own thread seeing as it looks like it's close, west ham fans seem to have only good things to say, could be a good signing and British.

Comments

• Options
    Isn't Henderson Irish?
  • Options
    Sweet, don't think all the other posts in the rumour thread coverd this ;)
  • Options
    Wiki says he's a free agent.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Isn't Henderson Irish?

He is.

No doubt with Belgian blood somewhere along the line! (:
  • Options
    Hopefully true, good player, gives Pope some competition.
  • Options
    Talal said:

He is, wet ham released him.. Was posted in rumour thread a couple days ago
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Talal said:

Oh suppose I should check that more often
  • Options
    He was alright at the World Cup. Thought he could have been a bit more offensive. Good enough signing nevertheless.
  • Options
    Talal said:

shine166 said:

Talal said:

Oh suppose I should check that more often

You are not missing much by not checking too often :). Out of 100 new posts 1/3 of them may be actual rumours
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got a good feeling about it.
  • Options
    Reckon he'll be number 1
  • Options
    Ok someone clue me in about this guy, haven't heard of him before yet people are talking about him being no.1 - did he play for west ham last year? If not did he play on loan anywhere? Why is he that much better than Pope?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'd give Pope the number one shirt tell him it's his to lose! If it goes well great if not then we have an able back up! I think Popey has the potential to be top class and so needs game time! Being stuck on the bench will halt development..
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Ok someone clue me in about this guy, haven't heard of him before yet people are talking about him being no.1 - did he play for west ham last year? If not did he play on loan anywhere? Why is he that much better than Pope?

I don't think he ever played a competitive game for West Ham. He was highly rated at Portsmouth and I doubt he's coming in to sit on the bench. He was in loan at Ipswich and then Bournemouth last season. I wouldn't say he's any better than Pope but we need keepers. I'd like to see Pope start.
  • Options
    Don't know much about his style of goalkeeping but he does have experience of Championship football and appears to have impressed at every club he's been.

Ipswich had him on loan the season before last and he impressed Mick McCarthy enough to want him sign permanently last summer but for whatever reason it didn't work out.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Very suprised the YouTube video geeks have still not managed to find a video on this guy. Very dissapointed fellas
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I don't think he ever played a competitive game for West Ham. He was highly rated at Portsmouth and I doubt he's coming in to sit on the bench. He was in loan at Ipswich and then Bournemouth last season. I wouldn't say he's any better than Pope but we need keepers. I'd like to see Pope start.

Although he never appeared in the League ,he played twice in the League Cup.

This is his wiki profile. Career wise it is not dissimilar to Alnwick in that he hasn't played that many first team games for a goalie of that age and has been on loan a lot. I normally look for connections with transfers so crucially for me one of his loan spells was at Yeovil with Ben Roberts. Therefore I suspect Ben has influenced this move rather than Peeters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Henderson_(footballer,_born_1988)

Edit my link to wiki is dodgy. You can still the options from there

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:

Although he never appeared in the League ,he played twice in the League Cup.

This is his wiki profile. Career wise it is not dissimilar to Alnwick in that he hasn't played that many first team games and has been on loan a lot. I normally look for connections with transfers so crucially for me one of his loan spells was at Yeovil with Ben Roberts. Therefore I suspect Ben has influenced this move rather than Peeters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Henderson_(footballer,_born_1988)

Great point on the Beb Roberts connection. I did wonder how Peeters would know anything about him.
  • Options
    He was really highly rated at Portsmouth. Spoke to a few of their fans on twitter and they reckon we have got an exceptional keeper. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure he joined West Ham for something like £1m-£2m?

He would definitely come in as number 1. As much as I rate Pope I really think he needs another season on loan at League 1 level if possible

• Options
    Would have been a lot of pressure on Pope with nothing to fall back on if it went wrong, which just isn't good management. You've got to have at least two options in goal if one keeper needs to be taken out of the firing line. If we complete this one it'll be a very good signing
  • Options
    Either Pope is still first choice and Bob has decided we need better/more experienced back-up than Dillon Phillips, or perhaps he and Roberts just aren't as confident that Pope is ready just yet. Either way Henderson is probably as good a signing as we could afford to be a second choice, or at the very least competing for first choice instead of having it handed to him, as more proven keepers would most likely demand.
  • Options
    I've not seen much of Pope at all but I do think it would be very foolish to think he is ready to undertake being our number one after 20 odd games at York albeit a very good 20 odd games. Personally I would like to see him go out on loan for a whole season in league one. He's young and has a big future from what I hear from those that know more about him than I do but a poor spell for us in The a Championship could really set him back.
  • Options
    I have no view about Nick Pope other than to say that if he's good enough he's old enough and would not need more experience before being thrown into the Championship.

By way of comparison, and I know these are extreme examples, Pope is older than Thibaut Courtois and older than David de Gea was when he joined Manchester United. While Courtois is somewhat taller than Pope and de Gea, the three appear to have similar builds.

If Pope isn't first choice keeper this coming season it suggests to me that the Club have reservations about him. If Henderson signs and starts then how does Pope develop? If he goes out on loan then we still have Phillips on the bench. Be interesting to see how the Club plays this. I'd have thought network loans, inwards and/or outwards, make a lot of sense for goalkeepers.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

I've not seen much of Pope at all but I do think it would be very foolish to think he is ready to undertake being our number one after 20 odd games at York albeit a very good 20 odd games. Personally I would like to see him go out on loan for a whole season in league one. He's young and has a big future from what I hear from those that know more about him than I do but a poor spell for us in The a Championship could really set him back.

This in an ideal world. I do trust Ben Robert's judgement on these matters, he will be able to train with Henderson and Pope and help Peeters make a judgement call .

The other problem to loan Pope is that we would then need to sign 2 new keepers .This is also not all about Pope but also Phillips in my view. I wouldn't want Dillon to be exposed earlier than he needs to be. He certainly would benefit from a good loan spell next season.

Look at Ben Hamer before he joined us . He never played a first team match in the league and only had a handful of cup appearances for Reading and was always considered 3rd choice behind Federichi and Mccarthy who both emerged through the system at a similar time. The Royals ensured that Hamer had loan spells at Crawley ( in the Conference), Brentford and Exeter where he played nearly 150 first team matches by the time we signed him.

It is a question of balancing our immediate needs with the career development of our young stoppers.