Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

(northern) thai addicks?

looking more and more that myself and the girlfriend will move there (from los angeles), maybe by the end of the year....the north of thailand, in the countryside outside chaing mai, away from the hubbub, but close enough to do a day trip for the organic farmers markets. is there anyone up there from charlton life, or any tips/thoughts from various thai asddicks?

Comments

• Don't know of any Charlton Life members oop north but you never know.

I'm in Phuket, despite the name which I have had since my time in Bangkok.

Welcome (maybe) to Thailand and PM me if you need any advice on anything as I've been here nearly 11 years.
  • many thanks for reply/offer ba, may be in touch when over there...also, do you know of anyone who has tried life in laos?
  • edited June 2014
    Don't know any Addicks in the north but know a few folk who are settled in Chiang Mai so can ask them for specifics if you need. Bangkok is my area, previously Rayong and occasionally Pattaya for the weekend, so can help with general stuff.
  • I'm in Bangkok at the moment. Some bloke just threatened to kill me because I wouldn't pay to fill up the tank of his tuk-tuk.

But yeah, the locals are lovely
  • I'm in Bangkok at the moment. Some bloke just threatened to kill me because I wouldn't pay to fill up the tank of his tuk-tuk.

But yeah, the locals are lovely

Where did this happen? Not much comfort but this is not unknown. Never travel by tuk tuk if there is an alternative. Sorry to hear this. If you need police/embassy help then DM.
  • Dunno if this info is any use to you, but there are lots of ex-Greenwich University students who come from Thailand. I taught several of them, and interestingly a couple of them said they bought my book The Charlton Men, or wanted to buy it, so they know about Charlton, and obviously Greenwich. Not sure if there's any kind of Thai alumni for the university, but if there was you might be able to make contact.
  • go to Weatherspoons in Pattaya ask for Dean
  • Seems a bit of an odd move - LA to Chang Mai?
    Are you a bit of a bohemian, or just running away from something?

bohemian/running away? a bit of both el presidente, we are definitely atypical in terms of the majority of our lifestyle choices, and have been in lost angles far toooo long, albeit without taking on any of the L A stereotype:>) just seeking a healthier, happier, harmonious tropical life more suited to us humyn animals...it is tiring trying to create anything like that model amidst all that is el-lay...and northern thailand may not be our settled place, but it is where we will one way ticket to in the coming months...so any guidance is very welcome...
  • go to Weatherspoons in Pattaya ask for Dean

for what in particular? i already have a luvly girlfriend;>)
  • Sponsored links:

bohemian/running away? a bit of both el presidente, we are definitely atypical in terms of the majority of our lifestyle choices, and have been in lost angles far toooo long, albeit without taking on any of the L A stereotype:>) just seeking a healthier, happier, harmonious tropical life more suited to us humyn animals...it is tiring trying to create anything like that model amidst all that is el-lay...and northern thailand may not be our settled place, but it is where we will one way ticket to in the coming months...so any guidance is very welcome...
    Hmmm, odd.
  • SH2T, personally I would look at Laos these days, I prefer it to northern Thailand, it's a lot cheaper and a lot more laid back. And as Laos is over 60% hilly/mountainous the views are spectacular.

If you are looking for a chilled but also upcoming area where you can make some money look at Pakse.
  • SH2T, personally I would look at Laos these days, I prefer it to northern Thailand, it's a lot cheaper and a lot more laid back. And as Laos is over 60% hilly/mountainous the views are spectacular.

If you are looking for a chilled but also upcoming area where you can make some money look at Pakse.

He could then change his name to ShootersHill_In_Tropics.

Absolutely this, Laos is an amazing place, I love it there and would love to live there for a while, sadly outside of Vientiane (the only place I really disliked) the country is lacking in a lot of important stuff. After 3 years in China I'm looking forward to some 'comforts' I'm not sure my sanity could take a step back, in that respect, right now.