Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 21 friendly v Swindon

Went to this today. Was due to start at 1.30 but delayed for an hour as the Swindon coach broke down!!

Anyway we won 2-0 with Pigott getting them both, one in each half. On another day he could have had five. The difference with him and all our other strikers is that he can create his own chances and is not afraid to miss. I hope we persevere with him.

We had a 20 year old Kosovan international playing in midfield who looked very promising for the hour he was on. I was speaking briefly to his Dad who says he is at Arsenal and may look to move from there. On first appearance he looked worth a punt.

The less said about Polish Pete the better. He brings nothing to the table and I can not see him ever getting a regular place for the first team, unless we slip down the leagues. Harry Lennon looks a class above following his first 11 experience.

No team sheets produced but think it was:

Bulgarian goalie; Daniel, Lennon, Osborne, Bobson; Munns, Muldoon, Kosovan international, Cumberbatch; Polish Pete, Pigott. Harry Gerrard came on as a sub along with two others who I did not recognise or recall seeing before.

Michael Smith and Kevin Feely were watching from the touchline.

Comments

• Options
    How did Munns and Pigott play (aside from his goals?)
  • Options
    Both were stand out players alongside Lennon. Muldoon also did well.
  • Options
    Good to hear. I think Pigott could do well for us. He always looks a handful when he plays (Millwall aside) and he certainly knows how to score goals.
  • Options
    Michael Smith and Kevin Feely were watching from the touchline.

We never even gave him a sniff of first team action and he is a great lad - big mistake by us.
  • Options
    The signing of Polish Pete now seems to be a terrible waste of limited money. He has a fairly long contract and I can't see many teams lining up to sign him. It doesn't sound as if he is going to make it at Charlton. Sorry for him really.
  • Options
    Worrying that very few of the signings since RD took over have been up to the required standard, Astrit aside. I hope we have someone who knows what they're doing and know what they're looking for this summer.
  • Options

Worrying that very few of the signings since RD took over have been up to the required standard, Astrit aside. I hope we have someone who knows what they're doing and know what they're looking for this summer.

We have a dilemma.
    Do we create a situation where we play with our own singular inimitable style next season? Where we create our own template, with players who can play accordingly, and where we risk either losing all the time, or being so astonishingly 'other' and effective we win all the time, either way paying not much heed to the context within which we play.
    Or do we need to develop a strategy to cope with the context, where there are significant people within the camp who will understand the competitive nature of the league, and especially the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents, and can arrange things accordingly.
    I find it less than credible that in his tenure so far Jose has thought very deeply about each opponent, and adapted our play accordingly, it is more likely that he has had enough to do sorting Charlton out, without getting complications in considering in any depth the other teams we play.
    Does a Charlton manager next season need to think much (and plan for) the opposition?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

We have a dilemma.
    Do we create a situation where we play with our own singular inimitable style next season? Where we create our own template, with players who can play accordingly, and where we risk either losing all the time, or being so astonishingly 'other' and effective we win all the time, either way paying not much heed to the context within which we play.
    Or do we need to develop a strategy to cope with the context, where there are significant people within the camp who will understand the competitive nature of the league, and especially the strengths and weaknesses of the opponents, and can arrange things accordingly.
    I find it less than credible that in his tenure so far Jose has thought very deeply about each opponent, and adapted our play accordingly, it is more likely that he has had enough to do sorting Charlton out, without getting complications in considering in any depth the other teams we play.
    Does a Charlton manager next season need to think much (and plan for) the opposition?

I'm veering toward your second point more. First and foremost we need a manager / head coach that is decisive in how he wants his team to play. He then needs to bring the players in that suit that approach from inside and outside the network as well as developing and promoting academy players that are good enough. Any Sporting Director needs to understand the coaches philisophies and then work closely with each other to get the right players in.
  • Options
    If our team had been, for example:

Thuram

Nego Morrison Dervite Wiggins
    Koc Jacko Poyet Astrit
    Reza PolishP

In my view we would be struggling big time, and going down for certain.

• Options
    seth plum said:

The Swindon minibus didn't break down btw, I was told by a staff member that they ran out of petrol!!

I presume their minibus got stuck on the magic roundabout and went round 100 times before running out of fuel...
  • Options

I can't see how Polish Pete goes from scoring goals in Dutch prem division and being sought after by Benfica to struggling against Swindon U21??

It's got to be a mental problem hasn't it?? If so, I don't think it's right to write him off yet.

De Graaafschap are in the 2nd division, but still I agree with you. I have been on their site, its clear their fans adored him. I left a message asking what they thought might be the problem, only got a couple of replies, but it was along those lines, personal settling in problems. People born and bred in London sometimes don't realise what a tough and lonely place it can be.

And actually I just checked back on their site and there is a news item which says that he is returning on Friday to visit and 'say a proper farewell to the fans'.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Was there too.
    The Kosovan was called Alban Bunjaku, was at Slavia Prague for a spell earlier this season. He certainly knew what he was doing, but his left foot is for standing on only, if he only used his left foot 10% of the time he would be a good acquisition.
    Swindon were denied a pen late on by the ref who I believe was called Wally, but once again Jack Munns was our best player. If only Jack had an extra couple of inches he would be a real contender (as the actress said to the bishop). If any player deserves at least a bench appearance during these last three games it is Jack, if only because he is certainly the non first team player player of the year.
    Kurtis Cumberbatch was the better of the two players on loan having been released by Watford, but Bobson Bawling was playing out of his normal position and needs to learn how to play right back if that is what he wants to be, technically sound though.
    I am very very sorry to report that Polish Pete needs to go somewhere to rebrand his footballing algorhythmic karma, and then come back refreshed, he is really not ready and Joe Piggott was far better...make of that what you will.
    The Swindon minibus didn't break down btw, I was told by a staff member that they ran out of petrol!!

I thought Alban was terrific this afternoon ! Stand out player for me even though I couldn't pronounce his name..

But the home grown lad who always seems to shine was Olly Muldoon - great engine, totally committed to winning back the ball and constantly surging forward with pace & skill. Definitely one for whoever is next season's coach to keep a close eye on.

And second to Olly was our sometimes striker Joe P. Mr F commented on his close control under pressure & his ability to hold up the ball. In fact, at times, he seemed to have said ball stuck to his boot . And he knows where the onion bag is....

Polish Pete ? Not overly impressed ( his Dutch girlfriend even referred to him by this moniker!) but perhaps he does need more time to settle in. Seth did say that he looked lonely ..and that was on the pitch ! Although a couple of inches smaller than Piggy, at a quick glance, they could be mistaken for twins...a cunning plan to play both alongside each other & confuse the opposition ?

And yours truly successfully identified Danny N'Guessan in the Swindon no 20 shirt before Olly confirmed it !! Good spot , Fanny!

• Options
    PA. Do you know if we actually paid any money for him, and if so how much because what I hear is quite ambiguous ? From what you write here, we had to wrest him reluctantly from De Graafschap, saddening their fans somewhat, which suggests we had to pay for him.
    PP's Dutch 'significant other' was watching him at Sparrows Lane today, so he has a bit of company against the loneliness, today at least.
  • Options
    Piotr will come good!

Give him the summer to bulk up, a pre season with the squad and maybe a loan spell out for a few months out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have heard that the reason that Alban Bunjaku was released from Arsenal was not for footballing reasons but for ill discipline. He has got a bucket load of ability. I have been saying for years that Olly Muldoon is the next Cab off the rank. He has been playing at right back but he has now reverted to his best position in midfield.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

PA. Do you know if we actually paid any money for him, and if so how much because what I hear is quite ambiguous ? From what you write here, we had to wrest him reluctantly from De Graafschap, saddening their fans somewhat, which suggests we had to pay for him.
    PP's Dutch 'significant other' was watching him at Sparrows Lane today, so he has a bit of company against the loneliness, today at least.

Yes. I heard it from an authoritative source. The figure mentioned was 700k. Significantly that is exactly the figure widely mentioned in the de G fans forum section (which is part of the club website). The currency, euros, but the figure always the same.

Well at least if his girlfriend is here, that's good. But maybe she is not a permanent resident with him yet, but just visiting, and that might be one reason why he will be back in the Netherlands this weekend?

I think the purchase was unwise in the context of the club's priorities at the time, but I really hope it is a settling in thing, and that he will come good.
  • Options
    Was his girlfriend the one Clive R spent hours talking to pre kick off?
  • Options
    PA Thanks for that. I had been told by 'a bloke' that PP was a 'free transfer', I wanted to believe that was true. Mind you the same bloke said Poyet would definitely leave, so in that way him being wrong is a good thing!
    Which leaves me wondering if we used all the Yann/Dale/Smith/Cup money all up on Polish Pete.
    I am not really much of a judge, but I felt yesterday that PP needs someone to closely help him to adjust to his new circumstances, I reckon there might be a player in there somewhere.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I have heard that the reason that Alban Bunjaku was released from Arsenal was not for footballing reasons but for ill discipline. He has got a bucket load of ability. I have been saying for years that Olly Muldoon is the next Cab off the rank. He has been playing at right back but he has now reverted to his best position in midfield.

What sort of midfielder is he? Defensive or box to box? Is he as good as someone like Cousins do you think and is he out of contract in the summer too?
  • Options

dickplumb said:

What sort of midfielder is he? Defensive or box to box? Is he as good as someone like Cousins do you think and is he out of contract in the summer too?
    Is very technically gifted with a wide range of passing, can also score. I don't think he has any defensive ability at all. He was very highly thought of but has lost his way. Might well be worth a punt.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    We should remember that Astrid was at the training ground before the ink had dried on the takeover. He was a player on the list that Chrissy wanted. The problem seems to be that he didn't want any of the others! At the moment, I trust Chrissy's judgment in terms of player aquisition, more than I trust RD's advisers- This is based on what I have seen so far - but we shall see what happens in the summer.

In the meantime, I am grateful to Riga for being his own man and playing who he thinks we should play.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Is very technically gifted with a wide range of passing, can also score. I don't think he has any defensive ability at all. He was very highly thought of but has lost his way. Might well be worth a punt.

Takes a mean free-kick too.

• Options
    edited April 2014

seth plum said:

Yes. I heard it from an authoritative source. The figure mentioned was 700k. Significantly that is exactly the figure widely mentioned in the de G fans forum section (which is part of the club website). The currency, euros, but the figure always the same.

Well at least if his girlfriend is here, that's good. But maybe she is not a permanent resident with him yet, but just visiting, and that might be one reason why he will be back in the Netherlands this weekend?

I think the purchase was unwise in the context of the club's priorities at the time, but I really hope it is a settling in thing, and that he will come good.
    what we don't know is what pot PP was funded from. Was it The networks and he was registered with us for development or was it out of the Charlton pot. The former would square with €700,000 as well as a free transfer.

it would also put a different perspective on any transfer of PP within the network.

either way it would have been sensible to have used the money to replace Yann.

• Options
    Can a player formally be owned by a network? I thought it was register with a club, then register with another club. I am presuming the 700k has gone through our books.