Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Championship Table if games ended at HT

Came across this table today showing how the league would look if games ended at HT. Pretty interesting, with a few surprising outcomes. It's obvious we definitely haven't scored many early goals this season, but I also don't think of us as making too many comebacks having gone behind (before the weekend of course!). We'd be firmly relegated if football was played under this format. Thank God for 90 min games eh...

Comments

• Options
    Contrast with Yeovil, who'd be 9th rather than bottom
  • Options
    Yeah but imagine where we would be if we didn't have to play the first half. ;-)
  • Options
    Looks good for a late comeback vs Watford then.
  • Options

Yeah but imagine where we would be if we didn't have to play the first half. ;-)

Well I don't know about you but I'd be in the pub.
  • Options
    Poor old Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Options
    What about a table if only the second half counted- I'm guessing it would make better viewing!
  • Options
    To be winning twice out of 21 attempts at home after 45 minutes is awful.
  • Options
    craigcafc said:

To be winning twice out of 21 attempts at home after 45 minutes is awful.

It could be worse - Birmingham have only actually won twice from 21 attempts at home.

• Options
    Bigger surprise is Leicester not even making playoffs
  • Options
    Last minute winner against QPR, late winner against Bournemouth spring to mind
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Basically a lot of our wins have been from going into half time even. No miraculous comebacks. (Don't say that to sordell)
  • Options
    yeah, but what if you played the second half first and the first half second...huh?
  • Options
    Salad said:
    Can't we use that table instead of the proper one, we'd be in the playoffs! We've only lost 3 out of 19 matches where we were drawing at HT, that's quite impressive. For our next 3 matches we clearly need to park the bus Mourinho style for the first half.
  • Options
    I don't know where I stand on this table. On the one hand it confirms what we all know, that we've been utter cack in the first half of a lot of games. On the other it's totally pointless because stamina, fitness, concentration, organisation, quality of available substitutes, etc, etc all come into play as the match progresses through the second half.
    I wonder what a table would look like that consisted of just extra time and none of the regulation 90 mins?
  • Options
    On the plus side that Wigan away match would have hurt a lot less
  • Options
    At least it's a testament to our fitness levels that we always perform better in the second half.
  • Options
    Leading at half time in only two home games says it all. However, it does prove beyond any doubt that Mr Powell and Mr Riga have made astute second half substitutions. Well, possibly.
  • Options

Leading at half time in only two home games says it all. However, it does prove beyond any doubt that Mr Powell and Mr Riga have made astute second half substitutions. Well, possibly.

Without looking, as a little quiz question, who were those teams.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This analysis doesn't really mean that much as it doesn't take into account things like fitness, injuries, bookings, subs, both halfs of the pitch not being equal (wind, sun, pitch quality, facing the home/away fans) etc. I think back to all the games in the last 2 seasons that we've thrown away after the 85th minute, yet that's just part of the game. If football was only 45 minutes long, more or less every part of the formation and player selection would be different - might as well have people who can sprint for that short period of time, probably looking at less midfielders and more defenders. Oh, and definitely more hacking as there is less time to earn 2 yellows. Yes our football is slow and boring, especially in the first half, but by the looks of it we've made up for it in the 2nd half with staying power and attrition.
  • Options
    id love to see the 2nd half table
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Doncaster and hmmm Leicester?
  • Options
    The year we went down to the 3rd division we threw away so many leads I wonder where we'd have finished that season
  • Options
    Saw a table somewhere showing the timing of goals for and against - we score quite a few in the first 15 minutes of the second half
  • Options

cabbles said:

I believe you are correct. I know Leicester definitely, Morro from a corner, but just cannot remember the Doncaster goal. I remember Church making it 2 in the second half in front of the covered end, because it's his only league goal at the valley
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

I believe you are correct. I know Leicester definitely, Morro from a corner, but just cannot remember the Doncaster goal. I remember Church making it 2 in the second half in front of the covered end, because it's his only league goal at the valley
    Stephens volley from edge of the penalty area.

I've always wanted to.collate league tables after 1/2/3...88/89/90 mins to see how they stack up and where our highest position would be but the amount of effort that would take is monstrous.
  • Options
    Wonder what the table would look like if the officials for our division weren't below Sunday league standard. The number of wrong offside calls, wrong penalty decisions and offside goals we've conceded is a joke. Brighton alone have scored two offside goals against us this season. It's like the officials just make it up as they go along.