Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LACK OF GOALS - AN IDEA

Play Jackson further up the field. He knows where the goal is and has a quick brain and the guile to score form half-chances. Crosses are being wasted as there is no forward strong enough to get on the end of them. 99% of the crosses are easily cut out by big defenders or the goalkeper - and possession is immediately handed back to the opposition.

Corners are a big dissappointment too. There is no real threat but they should be seen as a real goal-scoring opportunity. Barnsley, the then bottom club, showed us how to do it last Tuesday! I know we have scored from the odd one this season but how many have just been wasted?

Attack defences from mid-field with the ball on the floor and shoot at every opportunity. Strikers can be alive for any rebounds/scraps that fall to them in the confusion. Deflections can come from the shots (don't we know) and goalkeeping errors can also happen (don't we know) from shots at varing distances and angles. Keep up a high rate of shots throughout the game and expect a high rate off target.

Traditional build-up play is not working for us as we do not have strikers good enough to convert even the "set-up" chances - they miss!!

Desparate times call for desparate measures.

Comments

• Options
    We scored from a corner against Yeovil and had 17 shots against Barnsley (one every 5 minutes or so)

He has them shooting, just not very well.
  • Options
    Here's an idea......don't start church!!!
  • Options
    I think it's me that's getting desparate.
  • Options
    Why not ask our opponents if they'll agree to the use of larger goals?
  • Options
    If Jackson plays forward who will take the teasing free kicks and corners?! Agree in principle though. Would be great to see midfielders pushing on beyond the striker/s
  • Options
    He can still take free kicks in scoring positions but he is dangerous in the box on corners.
  • Options

He can still take free kicks in scoring positions but he is dangerous in the box on corners.

So is Church
  • Options
    We just don't look like we have a goal in us
  • Options
    Actually thought Church played well today
  • Options
    Our midfield unfortunately is too defensive, Astrit is too lazy to become a full-game changing CAM. Jordan Cousins is good but lacks the creative instinct, Poyet is very very good but plays too deep if we're to score goals, and the shooting all round is just very poor, Keepers don't look troubled. Reza couldn't get past a mannequin without falling over it, Church put in a good shift today but not the answer.

Also the subs were to play for a draw... Bolton were there for the taking, 0-0 is fine for them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Church cant score
    Sordell cant score
    Obika cant score
    Reza cant score

why on earth do we not give Polish Pete a game, the worst he can do is not score which the other 4 will do anyway
  • Options
    Granted Church is not the answer but I thought he was immense today. I'm usually one of those that would rather see my mum up front than Church but to be fair he has her beaten for pace and stamina and as for that penalty, Jesus the ref was way too fat to see...
  • Options
    Riga's tactics with four slow passing and moving, deep, sterile midfielders will never get the goals. Good as Poyet is he is not needed in that deep role at home.

And Cameron Christ why settle for a point and bring on another DM for a striker!!
  • Options
    I'd like to see Reza play as our central striker. Seems to be the only one with a shot on him. I know he's lightweight but I'd fancy him to score, given a chance in the box.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    My son commented during the game why don't we have one of our yourh strikers on the bench, to come on for 10-15 minutes and create havoc, not a bad idea, by the way first time i'd seen Morgan fox play, thought he did pretty well, looked like he played there all season.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Poyet behind the forwards. With his vision and passing ability I think he could work wonders if given a bit of freedom. Cousins can then move to the middle and anchor the midfield.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

I'd like to see Reza play as our central striker. Seems to be the only one with a shot on him. I know he's lightweight but I'd fancy him to score, given a chance in the box.

I thought Reza played slightly behind Church in a Free-Role type position today and felt it suited him as you saw against Yeovil and Barnsley he likes to drop a little deep to get the ball.

In response to the initial post I felt the same when Jacko was taking our corners today.. We need him in the box with AA taking them maybe?
  • Options
    Maybe us fans could help, by helping the strikers know where the goal is...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HhA2OQaLt8
  • Options
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

We scored from a corner against Yeovil and had 17 shots against Barnsley (one every 5 minutes or so)

It's the Bolton match prog that says we had 17 shots against Barnsley - I checked the Press Association stats from the independent assessor at the game.

It's 2 on target
    which is 2 more than we had at Brighton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We started the game with two international strikers. Not many clubs in this league can say that!
  • Options

Love it. That could be all we need. Not blackpool where we have a side but Lower north, and sheff weds away.

Maybe us fans could help, by helping the strikers know where the goal is...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HhA2OQaLt8

• Options
    Those of us of a certain disposition can (unfortunately) cast our minds back to the 1970/71 season, when faced with a similar relegation fight and lack of goals, Theo Foley moved our right-back, Bob Curtis, into a midfield role. Worked an absolute treat as Curtis banged in 5 goals which were instrumental in keeping us up that season.

Chris Solly - your destiny awaits you!
  • Options

Those of us of a certain disposition can (unfortunately) cast our minds back to the 1970/71 season, when faced with a similar relegation fight and lack of goals, Theo Foley moved our right-back, Bob Curtis, into a midfield role. Worked an absolute treat as Curtis banged in 5 goals which were instrumental in keeping us up that season.

Chris Solly - your destiny awaits you!

Remember that well. Solly probably too light weigh, but I reckon Wilson might bang one or two in given the chance.
  • Options

If Jackson plays forward who will take the teasing free kicks and corners?! /s

Astrid takes a good corner - remember QPR.

• Options

PL54 said:

It's the Bolton match prog that says we had 17 shots against Barnsley - I checked the Press Association stats from the independent assessor at the game.

It's 2 on target
    which is 2 more than we had at Brighton
    Propoganda
  • Options
    all we needed to do was get some forwards in just like the other teams around us have,simple.