Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monitoring the RD network

The Trust is going to keep its beady eye on all aspects of the Network. The relatively easy bit is the football results, you can find the first of a weekly update on all the clubs on the Trust website.

However we are also working on a comprehensive "hub" which will try to map out the commercial outlook at each club. We think that this is vital in order to understand better how the RD network functions, and thus what our place in it really is.

We realise this will only interest a minority. On the other hand, the minority are often very interested. If you have comments or tips, either on the footie side, or the commercial side, of these clubs' fortunes, we would love to hear from you, either here, on the Trust site, or direct to me.

Comments

• Options
    Good idea. I will be part of the interested minority.
  • Options
    good idea
  • Options
    v good
  • Options
    That's a great idea - perhaps someone like a journalist or Liege fan can explain where and how Liege have sourced their players over the last two to three years - that appears one of the most relevant things for CAFC this summer as it might explain possibilities for how the squad will be changed as contracts start to expire.

Small matter of securing six or seven more points but think you know what I mean when there are 15(?) players out of contract this summer.
  • Options
    I thought about putting something like this together myself... Very good idea
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Interestingly we have already had a comment below the Trust feature, disputing that STVV are part of "the network", yet the two STVV fans who came on here are adamant that they are. There are two more Belgian clubs (Tubize and RWDM Brussels) which have "co-operation agreements" with Standard, as first reported by Chicago Addick and confirmed by the STVV fans; they also say that there have been many loans between these Belgian teams and also Ujpest. So the "network" does not seem to be based just on outright RD ownership
  • Options
    Hi, this an article about Dudu Dahan in a belgian newspaper today saying that RD will not sell SL.

Standard still remains in the hands of Roland Duchâtelet ? Confidant Dudu Dahan (43 ) thinks so. And he should know , because the Israeli does almost all the players' transfers for Standard . Dahan light also been a glimpse of the future of the club

Dudu Dahan is one of the most important executives in Belgian football . The Israeli is known as a confidant of President Roland Standard Duchâtelet last summer and arranged all transfers of the club . It is he who Guy Luzon brought from Israel to Liege .

"Where I see Luzon end? Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I think Standard European summit can be . They have everything : a stable owner , the Academy , the facilities, the fans ... "

A stable owner , you say. Then it can not better sell Standard this summer.

" Duchâtelet holds an unbelievable amount of the club. If he wanted to sell the club it's because he was offended by the fans . He comes , investing money and time , attracts sponsors to his good name , and then the fans do not want him and attack him . So he starts asking himself in question.

But what about selling ?

"Even though Duchâtelet says he will sell the club, I do not see anyone stepping forward to do that . I do not think Duchâtelet will sell. He loves Standard to much to just leave the club in hands of unreliable buyers. Duchâtelet is a businessman , but Standard is more than a business for him. "

Mpoku(midfielder) said after his contract extension he had an ambitious Duchâtelet seen. What did he mean?

" Next season will be a better standardteam than now . I am aware of the preparation of the technical staff and i'm sure the fans will appreciate what direction it goes . "

• Options
    "Standard is more than a business to him". So the whole network is to enhance them?
  • Options
    @dominiek

Thanks for this article.

The Supporters' Trust is monitoring all the results of the RD network clubs. Can you recommend a Belgian results website which would usually give attendances for STVV games? So far, I have not found one. I did though find a site which listed attendances for the 12-13 season which showed STTV as the best supported team in the division. Why is this, do you think?

What do you think about Standard in the playoffs? As distant observers, we think they are faltering. What is the view in Belgium?

• Options
    kentred2 said:

"Standard is more than a business to him". So the whole network is to enhance them?

Good question but one I do not think we will ever know the answer.

Maybe RD wants to replicate what Liege are doing with Charlton, maybe not though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    cafc999 said:

kentred2 said:

Good question but one I do not think we will ever know the answer.

Maybe RD wants to replicate what Liege are doing with Charlton, maybe not though.

I think the answer will become clearer with time by the actions and investments made.

The Network watch is a great initiative as long as it is done even handedly .. The good and the bad and a context is given to the reports so we don't all overreact over one sentence or word miss spoken.

• Options
    The problem we have though is that if RD does not have to answer to anybody as he owns the club outright.

He has made some mistakes but he has also promised to invest in a new pitch and an expansion to the training ground (subject to approval). Those two items will cost quite a bit of money and also bear in mind that he paid for the dome to cover the pitch that cost £15k a week for a few weeks.

On the other hand, he sold Yann and didn't replace him with any real quality
  • Options
    My simple question is: does Dudu Dahan have any influence over player acquisition for the Staprix group overall and for CAFC in particular?
    I think the Trust needs to ask who is running the squad at CAFC for 2014/15.
    Under company law it should be directors and employees of CAFC.
    Simple loaded question :)
  • Options

Interestingly we have already had a comment below the Trust feature, disputing that STVV are part of "the network", yet the two STVV fans who came on here are adamant that they are. There are two more Belgian clubs (Tubize and RWDM Brussels) which have "co-operation agreements" with Standard, as first reported by Chicago Addick and confirmed by the STVV fans; they also say that there have been many loans between these Belgian teams and also Ujpest. So the "network" does not seem to be based just on outright RD ownership

Prague, this is the club that RD sold in 2011 to his girlfriend, Marieke Höfte. Hard to imagine they're not part of the network when they have 3 players on loan from Liege and one from Ujpest.

I imagine Reams was one of the commentators, given he's started an ITTV thread about your Googling skills (don't bother). Helpfully he's found you a link for STVV's attendances in 2012-13: go here and click 'attendance' above the table. STVV are first in the list, average attendance 5996, 49% of capacity.
  • Options
    According to the Belgian Soccer Database STVV this season has an attendance average of 5425, calculated on their first six home games. About SL: They've lost their great form of the first months of this season but still have the biggest chance of winning the league. The other competitors haven't got the quality of players like SL has, so they're still my favourite to win it. Could be tricky though.
  • Options
    You are sounding paranoid on here

The network is about enhancing liege ?

It is possible that he wants all his teams to work for each other
  • Options
    @rikofold, @dominiek.

I did not make clear what i was asking for. Yes I already had googled the table that gave me the historic attendances (but thanks for the thought, Reams:-)) What I am after is a website which I would use to check results each week, but which usually gives attendances. For example Soccerway generally does not, in that division. Sometimes it is hit and miss and depends on the club. Last week I could not get the Ujpest attendance, this week I have it.

@NLA

The Trust is not monitoring results because we believe the network is about enhancing Liege. We do it because CAFC is now part of a business which has other clubs in it. So it's good to be informed about the other clubs' progress, and in time to monitor off field goings on, such as the tax affairs at Ujpest, because they could affect Charlton.

• Options
    edited April 2014

My simple question is: does Dudu Dahan have any influence over player acquisition for the Staprix group overall and for CAFC in particular?

As you know, this question and similar ones has been top of the Trust list since he took over. @WeegieAddick raises some these questions in the latest TNT6.

But as to your question about it being a matter of company law; surely if we are owned by Staprix, the person 'running' the squad need only be an employee of Staprix? Further, we are talking about an executive role, so isn't company law irrelevant to that role? (I am only asking, and think its an interesting question you have raised)

However, what could be more interesting is this: if STVV and Ujpest are not owned by Staprix (we believe they are not), would it be against company law if somebody from outside those clubs insists that one of their players is loaned to Charlton (frankly I doubt it. It would just be a case of the chairman - RD's son at Ujpest - leaning on the head coach. Happens all the time)

But yes the overall question of who makes these decisions in the network, is crucial, and we, the fans of CAFC, do have a right to know this, in our opinion; so we will make it our business to find out.
  • Options
    The only way the network can enhance Liege is by each of the clubs being relatively successful in the ponds that each of them swim. A neglected CAFC in league one or in the Championship for that matter still attracting the the associated losses can be nothing other than an albatross around RD's neck. He has to try to to at least make all his clubs work.

I believe each has its natural potential. I think it unlikely that RD sees CZJ as future Bundasliga participants any more than he sees CAFC as Premier League title hopefuls.

Can anyone on here seriously see how Charlton can be of any tangible help to SL anytime soon ? For that to happen he has to make us thrive and a thriving Charlton within touching distance of promotion to the money pot might just make any businessman reappraise his priorities.

Let's get to safety this term and see what happens over the summer. I think it will answer a lot of questions.
  • Options
    Interesting thread.
    On a lighter note, i can see , instead of Marbella and Gibraltar, our pre season friendlies being SL, Ujpest and CZJ this coming season, with the players being 'put up' in boot camp style accomodation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014

Interesting thread.
    On a lighter note, i can see , instead of Marbella and Gibraltar, our pre season friendlies being SL, Ujpest and CZJ this coming season, with the players being 'put up' in boot camp style accomodation.

Not sure about the boot camp, but I quite fancy a pre season Roland Cup. Do you think he could buy Den Haag (or was it Bosch?) and we could defend the peoples cup.

@pragueaddick are you publishing the monitoring on a website? Whats the average gate for Liege? Do we know what their admission prices are?
  • Options
    Hi Kap

Our plan is to extend this monitoring beyond just the footie results, but gathering the data is a shed load of work as I have discovered. But it would be a good idea to, among other things, detail the admission prices. That is easy enough to get.

The really elusive data is that of the TV deals in each country. In the case of Ujpest we believe there is a new deal which could be worth maybe £3m annually, which would make them already profitable, but that figure is so far anecdotal.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Bubble posted this on the "new programme seller" thread.

Edit. Bigger below (nudge nudge)
  • Options

That would be interesting to know, because based on the last transfer window, whoever was in charge of player recruitment totally mis-judged the strength and quality of the English Championship. They saw an opportunity to cash in on a couple players in Kermo & Stephens but brought in inadequate replacements. Unless they wise up quickly and realise SL Reserves does not equate to the second tier in England, we will struggle to compete in whatever Division we are in next season. If they have been shocked by the strength and standard, then they didn't do their homework properly in the first place.

I'm guessing they realise that now, so their advisor needs asking what he was doing, he's obviously not up to the job. If you run a business, would you trust an advisor who gave bad advice the last time around? In old fashioned terms, you would need a new chief scout.
  • Options
    Apparently Roland doesn't do failure, so I'm sure we'll be finding out who the adviser is very soon when he's sacked.
  • Options
    The latest (footie) results from the less important constituents of RD's network, can be found here.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The TV deals for the Pro League is about €55m a season, and a Belgium side getting to the group stages of the CL gets about €8m, a fraction of what a middling Premier League club gets for being bog average
  • Options
    dont they get about £40 million for finishing bottom of the prem ?