Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The return of Solly

Been away for the weekend, so wasn't able to watch or follow the match, but came home to see that Solly made his long-awaited return to the first team. Just wondered how he looked regarding fitness etc? I notice he replaced Reza, but assume he went to RB, pushing Wilson up to RM?

I'm not going to get too carried away by his return (done that mid-season, only to see him disappear just as quickly), but IF he's really recovered enough to start featuring on a more regular basis, he can make a real difference in our final push towards safety.....................

Comments

• Options
    It was a big surprise to see him, has he played any U21 matches recently?
  • Options
    I thought he played very well. No sign of injury. It was his mistake that set up their third goal though. The only thing he did wrong imo
  • Options
    The unexpected appearance of Solly yesterday starkly shows up exactly how little us fans really know. It was accepted wisdom on here that he was out for the season and there was a lot of speculation that his career was actually over.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Not expecting him to be playing 2 games a week, but would be great to see him feature in 50% of the remaining games. If he can quickly get up to speed on his game, it will be like a new signing for us at a crucial stage of the season...........
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

The unexpected appearance of Solly yesterday starkly shows up exactly how little us fans really know. It was accepted wisdom on here that he was out for the season and there was a lot of speculation that his career was actually over.

That's cos we're all pessimists here. Anything more than the above is a bonus. ;-D
  • Options
    I'm not sure why he was brought on a t 2-0 down away from home with 30 minutes left. Seems a risk.
  • Options

I'm not sure why he was brought on a t 2-0 down away from home with 30 minutes left. Seems a risk.

Match fitness would be my guess...............
    Must be starting Tuesday then. Or at least that's the plan maybe.
  • Options
    There is an U21 game tomorrow, I wonder whether he will play some part.
  • Options
    He can't get fit & back into the side too soon to give us a double boost .. Wilson in Midfield and a boost to a defence that is starting to leak goals at just the wrong time of the season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a terrific boost.
  • Options
    I may have imagined it, but I thought we looked more solid when he came on - it allowed Wilson to push up and have a presence along the right that was a bit stronger than Reza. (No offence to Reza, I just think he should be up top, not along the wing.)

I do think he was perhaps at fault for the third goal, it was quite a weak clearance from his head that fell to a Brighton player. I had forgot how confident I felt with him at the back though, because largely he came on and didn't hide - managed to get some movement and push play a bit further up the right. I do think our current rate of games would be too much for him though, and he'd probably need to be rotated with Wilson back at RB.

I'd rather see him recover properly and not risk making his injury worse; but at the same time - he's an influence that we could really do with at the moment. We'd be able to play players in their correct positions (Cousins) - and Brighton at home showed just how good that can be.

On advantage to that is Solly actually has some protection in Wilson - who's shown just how good defensively he can be.

Leaves a bit of a headache in midfield, unless we go for one on top - which seems negative - I'd like to see Obika and Reza play together, perhaps with Astrit just behind them. As far as our midfield goes - I think we need both Cousins and Poyet in there, but similarly we need Jacko and Wilson - and the creativity that Astrit provides.

Something like this could be quite strong:

------------ Hamer ------------
    Solly - Morrison - Dervite - Wiggins
    ------------ Poyet -------------
    --- Wilson -- Cousins -- Jacko ---
    ------------ Astrit -------------
    --------- Reza / Obika ---------

Subs: Thuram, Sordell, Harriott, Petrucci, Wood, Fox

We'd have options on the bench to play more attacking football (Harriott, Sordell, Petrucci) whilst also having cover for defence (Wilson can switch back, Wood and Fox).
  • Options

Match sharpness I reckon. In terms of lung power, he'll probably get by on adrenalin. In terms of doing the right things, he'll need match sharpness which only comes from doing things under pressure.

With regard to managing his recovery properly, I can't see him playing Tuesday and Friday but he could play Tuesday and BH Monday. If he plays v Barnsley, it could mean that we go 442 or 4411 hoping that Wilson's energy helps prevent us from getting swamped in midfield.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I may have imagined it, but I thought we looked more solid when he came on - it allowed Wilson to push up and have a presence along the right that was a bit stronger than Reza. (No offence to Reza, I just think he should be up top, not along the wing.)

I do think he was perhaps at fault for the third goal, it was quite a weak clearance from his head that fell to a Brighton player. I had forgot how confident I felt with him at the back though, because largely he came on and didn't hide - managed to get some movement and push play a bit further up the right. I do think our current rate of games would be too much for him though, and he'd probably need to be rotated with Wilson back at RB.

I'd rather see him recover properly and not risk making his injury worse; but at the same time - he's an influence that we could really do with at the moment. We'd be able to play players in their correct positions (Cousins) - and Brighton at home showed just how good that can be.

On advantage to that is Solly actually has some protection in Wilson - who's shown just how good defensively he can be.

Leaves a bit of a headache in midfield, unless we go for one on top - which seems negative - I'd like to see Obika and Reza play together, perhaps with Astrit just behind them. As far as our midfield goes - I think we need both Cousins and Poyet in there, but similarly we need Jacko and Wilson - and the creativity that Astrit provides.

Something like this could be quite strong:

------------ Hamer ------------
    Solly - Morrison - Dervite - Wiggins
    ------------ Poyet -------------
    --- Wilson -- Cousins -- Jacko ---
    ------------ Astrit -------------
    --------- Reza / Obika ---------

Subs: Thuram, Sordell, Harriott, Petrucci, Wood, Fox

We'd have options on the bench to play more attacking football (Harriott, Sordell, Petrucci) whilst also having cover for defence (Wilson can switch back, Wood and Fox).

Apart from Reza, I like the look of that.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Simonsen said:

Match sharpness I reckon. In terms of lung power, he'll probably get by on adrenalin. In terms of doing the right things, he'll need match sharpness which only comes from doing things under pressure.

With regard to managing his recovery properly, I can't see him playing Tuesday and Friday but he could play Tuesday and BH Monday. If he plays v Barnsley, it could mean that we go 442 or 4411 hoping that Wilson's energy helps prevent us from getting swamped in midfield.
    I remember when Carl Tiler was out for a year he was asked about coming back and said what you have said the first couple of games you get through on adrenalin. He also said something about after that suddenly your body wakes up to the sudden strain on it again and you are in danger of pulling muscles.

Red don't disagree re Reza but who would you play, I have been pushing for sorrdel but given up on that option, piggot not there yet, glad it's not a decision I have to make.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I was amazed to hear he was a sub yesterday. I was one of those people who had heard his career was as good as over, and from an internal source at Sparrows. Fantastic boost for us
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Simonsen said:

I remember when Carl Tiler was out for a year he was asked about coming back and said what you have said the first couple of games you get through on adrenalin. He also said something about after that suddenly your body wakes up to the sudden strain on it again and you are in danger of pulling muscles.

Red don't disagree re Reza but who would you play, I have been pushing for sorrdel but given up on that option, piggot not there yet, glad it's not a decision I have to make.
    If I was playing one up front I'd go with Obika, depending on how fit he is. If I was going with two I'd choose Pigott to partner him as he's capable of creating his own chances and isn't afraid of dropping deeper to collect the ball.
  • Options
    Not sure about his fitness, but good to see his excellent decision making is mainly intact.
  • Options
    take it easy with him please. Maybe on the bench for Tuesday, then start on Friday, then give him a rest for Monday (or is it Tuesday?).
  • Options

I was amazed to hear he was a sub yesterday. I was won of those people who has heard his career was as good as over, and from an internal source at Sparrows. Fantastic boost for us

Biggest cheer of the afternoon from the away end when he came on, Stewie.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I was amazed to hear he was a sub yesterday. I was won of those people who has heard his career was as good as over, and from an internal source at Sparrows. Fantastic boost for us

Good source then Stewie?
  • Options
    Sorts out the balance of the team. Wilson to right midfield, Cousins to Central Midfield alongside Poyet, Jacko to left midfield, Ajdarevic in behind any of the squad masquerading as a striker. AA off when he's knackered for a second so-called striker. Harriott for Jacko on the left. 4-5-1 to 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 over the ninety minutes if required.

Good news.

Sheff Utd started 4-6-0 today. Perhaps we could give that a go rather than play Sordell or Church. At least we'd have 10 outfield players we could rely on.
  • Options
    waldo said:

I was amazed to hear he was a sub yesterday. I was one of those people who had heard his career was as good as over, and this from an internal source at Sparrows. Fantastic boost for us

Good source then Stewie?
    Sound as a pound clearly.... From what I understand, Solly's knee condition is beyond repair and the situation mirrors that of Ledley King's at Tottenham. He can no longer play two games in a row and can barely train. The pessimist in me wonders if this is a gamble and just a case of getting him out there playing and getting the last mileage out of him.

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Sorts out the balance of the team. Wilson to right midfield, Cousins to Central Midfield alongside Poyet, Jacko to left midfield, Ajdarevic in behind any of the squad masquerading as a striker. AA off when he's knackered for a second so-called striker. Harriott for Jacko on the left. 4-5-1 to 4-4-1-1 to 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 over the ninety minutes if required.

Good news.

Sheff Utd started 4-6-0 today. Perhaps we could give that a go rather than play Sordell or Church. At least we'd have 10 outfield players we could rely on.

Or go for a 5-5-0...!

Solly Morrison Dervite Wood Wiggins

Wilson Cousins Poyet Jackson Adjaravic
  • Options

waldo said:

I was amazed to hear he was a sub yesterday. I was one of those people who had heard his career was as good as over, and this from an internal source at Sparrows. Fantastic boost for us

Good source then Stewie?
    Sound as a pound clearly.... From what I understand, Solly's knee condition is beyond repair and the situation mirrors that of Ledley King's at Tottenham. He can no longer play two games in a row and can barely train. The pessimist in me wonders if this is a gamble and just a case of getting him out there playing and getting the last mileage out of him.

I fear you're right Stewie, I was at the training ground today for the U21's game and heard that after rehab broke down again last week, Solly is just going to be played now before a massive make or break operation over the summer.
  • Options
    He's maintained good fitness throughout the injury as he's been running on an anti-gravity machine.
  • Options
    No suprise he didn't even make the bench yesterday. Gutted for the lad and for the club
  • Options

No suprise he didn't even make the bench yesterday. Gutted for the lad and for the club

I assumed he was 'rested' yesterday- and that maybe he might make 1 game a week, so possibly 3 out of next 4.
    Do you know otherwise?

• Options
    Hopefully he might be able to make Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn (rest for Watford) and Blackpool.

If our relegation is confirmed any earlier then we might as well rest him from that point in the hope that he can build up some sort of fitness for next season.