Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All-time Charlton XI - awarded for just one moment

Comments

• Options
    Steve Brown for going in goal and being class and that tackle in 98.
  • Options

Shirtliff, Miller, Colin Walsh, Ilic, Mendonca, Mills, Fortune.

Jamie Clapham has a place in an opponent's XI.

So does Michael Gray Sunderland :-)
  • Options

Steve Brown for going in goal and being class and that tackle in 98.

How could I forget Villa away in '99 - Browny in goal and Danny Mills' deflected winner in injury time.

Jensen's goal away at Man City when Nicky Weaver clattered it against his shins near the halfway line and it sailed back over Weaver's head and in.

• Options
    Mendonca, for the third of his goals in the play-off final at Wembley, 1998.
  • Options
    Solly that Blackpool goal, just WOW
  • Options

John Robinson for just being John Robinson

You know what, at Pride Park a few weeks ago I sat watching us just stand off of them and thought to myself: 'God I wish we had Kinsella and Robinson.' They would never have put up with that.

Best Robbo moment? Huddersfield away? Utd equaliser at home in the 3-3 draw?
    By a distance, that look on his face as he runs off kind of side stepping behind the goal frantically pointing at something (I know not what) as the camera shakes from the force of the sound as the Valley erupted. Best little TV snippet of CAFC ever. What a game that was.

Stevie Brown and that tackle.

Jensen's lob at Highbury.

I always assumed he was pointing to the centre circle and suggesting we could go on and get a fourth! Sums him up in one.

RedChaser said:

Parker away at Leeds and at home to Southampton.

Jackson in the back-to-back Sheffield games in our promotion season.

When we've got enough I'll try and put a 16 together. If anyone else wants to, then by my guest! Some good suggestions here guys.

Great shout on Parker 90th minute winner away at Leeds 01/12/02 Premiership. I was only a couple of rows back when the shirt came off and he came over to us with chest out after that mazy run and goal, remember it like it was yesterday.
    His best goal for us that I think and one of the greatest Charlton goals I've ever seen. He never hit that level again his career in my opinion.
    I didn't see the Parker goal but Paul Mortimer's against, I think, Bradford in a 4-1 win was similar by the sound of it.
    Great shout. Think it might have been awat against Man City. Could be wrong.

Newton vs Ipswich in the play-off semis

That is a great shout.
  • Options
    Sean Bartlett's goal of the season.

Danny Mills away at Villa.

Johansson overhead kick and hat-trick at home to West Ham. What a great game that was.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Lee Hendry (?) on loan from Spurs and scored the winner at the Toolbox.

It was John Hendrie and the game was at Upton Park.
  • Options
    Remember in the days the FA cup was massive.

1. Darren Pitcher goal v Blackburn for a giant killing

2. 1993 game v Leeds at Elland Road. Probably my first standing in a packed terrace. 1-1 and Leeds shoot, guaranteed goal, then Minto (I think) who is lying prostrate on the goal line, raises a foot to kick the ball over the bar

• Options

Remember in the days the FA cup was massive.

1. Darren Pitcher goal v Blackburn for a giant killing

2. 1993 game v Leeds at Elland Road. Probably my first standing in a packed terrace. 1-1 and Leeds shoot, guaranteed goal, then Minto (I think) who is lying prostrate on the goal line, raises a foot to kick the ball over the bar

You just beat me to it you ****!

I remember the newspaper headlines, Darren Ditcher! Sadly a few months later he moved to the dark side...

Another highlight would be Paul Miler's goal vs Chelsea in 1988...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Matt Spring for that goal against Palace in the season when we lost to absolutely everyone else but still managed to beat them
  • Options
    Steve MacKenzie, one of my all time fav players for his knee goal at Highbury when we played in the all yellow kit.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Robert Lee saving the club from another year away from The Valley by being sold to Newcastle to help us return to our home!
  • Options
    Bartlett for his goal of the season
  • Options
    Robinson against Ipswich, we were 2-0 down if I remember. He went straight through the Ipswich player, seemed to fire up the team and the fans.
  • Options
    Ben Hamer for his penalty save just last week.
  • Options
    El Kakouri for his free kick at home to Arsenal.

Jorge Costa for that tackle on Hasselbaink (when he was good) at home to Chelsea.
  • Options
    Hales and Flanagan for their Froch Groves efforts against Maidstone United....
  • Options
    Big Herman scoring in first minute against Chelsea on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    Jenson for the goal against Friedel
    Costa for winning a tackle whilst in his knees, vs Blackpool
    Lisbie hat-trick
    Powell for the Cov goal
    Kermorgant for the goal at Bramall Lane
    Redfearn for the goal at Wimbledon
    Deano for the pen save at Selhurst

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve Brown, never let us down.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'll leave this running until tomorrow and I'll try and put an eleven together tomorrow. What about a manager based on the same criteria? Jimmy Seed for his FA Cup win? Curbs for any one of his achievements? Powell for a record points haul? Lennie Lawrence for just doing it against all odds?
  • Options
    Marcus Tudgay, sheffield united away.
  • Options

Marcus Tudgay, sheffield united away.

He scored for Forest against Wednesday the other night.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Steve MacKenzie, one of my all time fav players for his knee goal at Highbury when we played in the all yellow kit.

Mackenzie was a fine player. He took a while to settle but when he did, he was excellent. Remember his shot v Coventry at Selhurst that hit the inside of both posts?!

The knee goal (or possibly knob goal) was at Selhurst v Arsenal (lost 3-2). The all-yellow goal at Highbury was when he burst into the area and shot across the keeper and in off the far-post.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    So...a quick team in some sort of formation..

1. Bob Bolder...for the penalty save v Wimbledon at Selhurst when we were fighting relegation.
    2. Paul Curtis....for his late poked winner at Fulham in '83 (my first away win in god knows how many games!)
    3. Paul Mortimer...for his slalom goal at Norwich.
    4. Paul Miller...for his goal at Chelsea that saved us from the relegation play-offs.
    5. Peter Shirtliff...for this diving header winner at St Andrews v Leeds (and his knee into the back of Ian Baird's head...)
    6. John Robinson....for his equaliser v Manchester Utd.
    7. Colin Walsh....for his last minute equaliser v Norwich in the Full Members Semi Final (sorry...wasn't at the Valley for his goal v Portsmouth)
    8. Claus Jensen...for the chip at Hignbury.
    9. Scott Parker....for destroying Makele and Chelsea on Boxing Day 4-2.
    10. Paulo Di Canio....for the chipped penalty v Arsenal.
    11. Alan Simonsen....for the first of the two slalom goals v Chelsea at The Valley.

Subs;
    12. Ben Hamer....for the penalty save at Leeds.
    13. Derek Hales...for keeping cool and sliding the ball past the keeper to put us 2-1 up v Bolton (the big relegation match in '83)
    14. Kevin Lisbie...for the last minute header at Chelsea 1-0.
    15. Bryan Hughes...for staying calm in the penalty shoot-out at Stamford Bridge.
    16. Darren Pitcher....for the winner at Blackburn in the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer belongs on this list for pretty much every goal he scored. His belter away to Leeds in a 4-1 loss in the 98-99 season is another that springs to mind.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    whoops
  • Options
    Kins for the finger wag.
    Deano for the dummy on Theirry Henry.
    Tydeman for cupping his ear towards the fans in that relegation game at Orient.
    Webbo for running right across the pitch to shake Paul Lingers hand as he came on for his debut in football.
    Keith Peacock for asking us Charlton fans on the half way line how long to go after 80 minutes in that cup replay at Selhurst Park.
  • Options

Bartlett for his goal of the season

And stuart for a great ball to set him up.