Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Birmingham | Sat 8th Feb 2014 | Match Preview

Well it’s been a fairly quiet week hasn’t it? I mean we haven’t lost any players? Lost any games? Lost any minds? Oh if only.

Since posting the last preview, three first-team players have departed the Addicks in the shape of Dale Stephens, Ben Alnwick and Yann Kermorgant. The Addicks replaced the trio with three signings of their own.

Strikers Reza Ghoochannejhad and Piotr ‘Polish Pete’ Parzyszek were brought in from Standard Liege and De Graafschap respectively and the duo could start this weekend. Loic Nego was the other arrival to complete a busy January transfer window for the Addicks.

Charlton welcome Birmingham to the Valley this weekend (weather permitting!) and if the game does go ahead it’ll be the first league game of 2014 to be played at SE7.

The Opposition

Birmingham were busy on ‘Deadline Day’ as they captured four players who all went on to play some part of their match against Derby County the following day which finished 3-3. One of those ‘Deadline Day’ signings Federico Macheda who is on loan from Manchester United, scored the equaliser to give Lee Clark’s side a valuable point.

Despite Birmingham’s point, they are still only six points away from the Addicks who are in the relegation zone. In fact, Birmingham haven’t won a league game so far in 2014 in five attempts, so that stat may give Chris Powell’s men some confidence of a victory this weekend.

However, Birmingham’s 18th position in the League table doesn’t reflect some of the quality within their squad. The likes of Chris Burke, Federico Macheda and ex-Addick Darren Randolph are all decent players and could frustrate Charlton this Saturday.

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Birmingham winger Chris Burke. Despite my last few choices not actually featuring in the game due to injuries, I’m pretty confident that the Scottish international should feature this weekend. The ex-Rangers midfielder is a great crosser of the ball and can often chip in with a few goals as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgibK5RKZwQ

The Line –Up

After a great 87 minutes against Wigan last weekend, Chris Powell may decide to line up a similar side this weekend against Birmingham.

One change that may occur is if Ben Hamer is fit enough to return in goal for the Addicks after Yohann Thuram-Ulien’s disappointing performance last weekend.

Rhoys Wiggins may not be fit to start due to an injury picked up in the 2-1 defeat to Wigan last Saturday. Despite it appearing that Cedric Evina was heading out on loan, he may be recalled to the starting eleven although youth-products Harry Lennon and Morgan Fox will also be pushing for the LB spot.

Chris Solly may be fit enough this weekend following his recent knee injury troubles but if he isn’t available, then Lawrie Wilson could take up the right-back spot or even on the right side of midfield after serving his one-match suspension for the red card against Doncaster. The other option is for Loic Nego to continue at RB despite a shaky debut last weekend.

The hardest decision for Chris Powell this weekend is who to play in midfield. The combination of Cousins, Poyet, Jackson and Ajdarevic may continue while Danny Green, Anil Koc and Callum Harriott will be contesting for starting spots also.

Marvin Sordell should continue upfront following his strike last weekend. Ghoochannejhad, ‘Polish Pete’ and Simon Church will be challenging each other for the other spot upfront.

The Prediction

A morale-boosting 2-0 victory for the Addicks.

Comments

• Options
    Hamer?
  • Options
    Charlton to win 2 1
  • Options
    Burke vs Evina will give me nightmares. Hopefully he's closer to his previous season form.

Can see Parzyszek starting, hopefully with Reza.
  • Options
    Tight match that we won't lose
    2-1 to us Goooooooch is on fire
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Maybe a 4-3-3
    Thuram-Ulien
    Nego, Morrison, Wood, Lennon
    Cousins, Poyet, Jackson
    Church Parzyszek Reza

Subs: Phillips (gk), Dervite, Green, Sordell, Wilson, Koc, Ajdarević
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Nego LB, Wilson RB, Church RW.

Otherwise I'd go for the same side as on the OP. Peter on the bench ready to come on for Marvin if it ain't working.
  • Options
    3-1 addicks............match thread from 2 pm.....Powell gets the result needed and addicks put on a display for the first time at home in 2014.
  • Options
    Draw.
  • Options
    The formation provided in the preview is exactly the way I think we should be setting up. Poyet and Cousins anchoring the midfield, providing cover for the wingers/full backs when needed with two hard working wingers and a focal point up front.

The majority of the decent teams around at present play this formation and it is one that I really like.

For this weeks game I would replace Jackson with AA and play the new Polish fella up front instead of Sordell. Scored last week but I just don't think his heart is in it when it comes to playing for this club. Need to look to the future and play the permanent players as a priority over the loanees where possible.

Going to take 3-4 games for all the new players to settle and I can see CP going with a standard 4-4-2 which isn't going to do us any favours so going to say another defeat. 1-2.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic v Birmingham City
    JAMES ADCOCK
    Jake Hillier and David Rock
    Fourth Official Gavin Muge
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perfect Peter for Sordell. Reza up front as well in a 4-4-2. Jackson in front of Evina to try and cover Lennon at left back.

Unless we get a fit loanee in on Friday!
  • Options
    I really hope Polish Pete starts up top with Reza. No prediction from me cos I'm a right Jonah!
  • Options
    I see Stubley has gone for the 'christmas tree formation'........
    Not sure about the Hamer, Evina, or Sordell, and a very young midfield...... so Poyet on the bench for me. Jackson, up front for 90 minutes, nah...... so he will be off at half time......Why not play 2 up front at home..... One if not two of the new strikers in........ Not sure Birmingham's defence is that great.
  • Options
    I have absolutely no idea what the team will be, but I think we'll win a tight game by the odd goal
  • Options
    We may have 3/4 youngsters playing. I fear that we could be bullied out of this one.Urgently need a couple of streetfighters.
  • Options
    Just win.
  • Options

Thuram-Ulien

Nego. Morrison. Wood. Lennon

Cousins. Poyet

Koc. Ajdarevic

Parzyszek Reza

Subs: Phillips (gk), Dervite, Green, Sordell, Wilson, Jackson, Fox/Evina

The transformation into Standard Athletic begins with a 3-1 win...
  • Options
    Blimey been missing the old place, even all the moaners around us, hopefully a decent display nd a goal or two, obviously a must win I think so, 2-1, scorers haven't a clue.
  • Options
    1-1 on a sticky pitch
  • Options
    Sordell won't be dropped after scoring last week. Team most likely to be

Thuram
    Nego
    Morrison
    Wood
    Lennon
    Poyet
    Cousins
    Adjardevic
    Jackson
    Sordell
    Reza

Subs. Philips parzyszek church dervite fox green Wilson

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alnwick wiggins cort dervitte solly Stewart Hollands Stephens wagstaff kermongant wright-phillips
  • Options
    CAFCOfficial just tweeted that Hamer still injured...
  • Options
    Sordell shit he should be dropped
  • Options
    Thuram
    Nego
    Morrison
    Wood
    Evina
    Poyet
    Cousins
    Wilson
    Jackson
    Sordell
    Reza

Pistol Pete on the bench.

I'm feeling optimistic about this one.....which pretty much guarantees an away win
  • Options
    Must say that writing that preview was one of the hardest yet. I honestly had no idea what the line-up will be!
  • Options
    Hamer's not fit.
  • Options
    WOuld like to see Reza just behind front 2 - think he could do some damage running at defence, with PP and SC up front. Need Wilson to be in right midfield, and a real bonus if Solly is back.

So.... ideally,
    Thuram
    Solly/Morro/Wood/Nego
    Wilson/Cousins/Jacko
    Reza
    Church/PP

Subs to include Poyet.
    Should be less hoofball, with Reza being the link man - think he could do a really good job there.
  • Options
    According to this: http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/721361/Preview
    Thuram and Nego the highest rated players in the likely lineup!
  • Options
    Can Jackson fill in at left back, or does his lack of pace tell too much at this level?