Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan v Charlton (Battle of the Athletics) | Sat 1st Feb 2014 | Match Preview

Whilst Jim Davidson has been locked away in the Big Brother house writing CharltonLife previews, the upcoming Big Brother final means he isn’t available to do so this week. However, some good news for Jim is that he wouldn’t have had to see the timeline of events that occurred on Tuesday night.

The reality of that 3-0 defeat to Doncaster means the Addicks are currently in the bottom three, two points behind 21st placed Millwall. Chris Powell has admitted today that they have had to deal with, ‘all this speculation’ and has declared that they are ‘vulnerable’ to it which clearly showed in the Addicks defeat on Tuesday night.

If Charlton are going to show some fight, they’ll have to put in a hell of a performance away at Wigan this weekend. A result against Wigan could not only lift us out of the relegation zone but also give the squad and staff some much needed confidence for upcoming fixtures.

The Opposition

Wigan started the season quite poorly but since the departure of Owen Coyle, his replacement Uwe Rosler has only lost one league game since his arrival on the 8th January.
The current FA-Cup holders will be looking to build on Rosler's promising start, for a late play-off push, to try and regain a Premier League spot for next season.

Wigan certainly wouldn’t need to add much to their squad next season if they were to get promotion. Names such as Shaun Maloney, James McClean, Jean Beausejour and Callum McManaman wouldn’t sound out of place in too many Premier League squads.

The additions of loanee’s Josh McEachran, Nicky Maynard and Tyias Browning in January have certainly boosted Wigan and all three could be in action this weekend.

Player to Watch

The player to watch is weekend is Wigan striker/attacking midfielder Nick Powell. The nineteen year-old who is on loan from Manchester United has been one of Wigan’s stand-out players this season and could be a real game changer this weekend. Powell has plenty of skill and can certainly finish as this video shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3N85KVtVW8

Line –Up

The possible departures/arrivals mean that it’s really hard to call who will be lining up this weekend. Due to this, I’ll be predicting the line-up, with the squad that we currently have.

Lawrie Wilson is suspended due to the red-card he picked up in midweek, so if Chris Solly is not fit enough, Jordan Cousins may fill the vacant spot.

Richard Wood may be recalled in the centre of defence alongside Michael Morrison, while Rhoys Wiggins is back from a three-match suspension.

In midfield, Danny Green might be given a starting spot on the right-hand side, while Johnnie Jackson and Dale Stephens will probably occupy the middle. Loanee Astrit Ajadarevic will be fighting for a first-team spot as will Callum Harriott with the latter likely to play on the left-side of midfield.

Up-front, if Yann Kermorgant does stay, then he’ll probably partner Simon Church again. Hopefully, by the actual fixture we’ll have another striker as well as a whole host of players in line to play.

The Prediction

2-0 defeat unfortunately.

Comments

• Options
    Line-up - who knows.

Result - who cares.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    5-1 defeat. O.G for our goal.
  • Options
    Hard to be positive about this, which is unusual for me ...3-0 defeat
  • Options
    Seriously . For the first time in my 40 years of supporting charlton , I really don't care . Pissed off doesn't come close .
    3-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Narrow 5-0 win for Wigan.
  • Options
    not sure how CP (assuming he will still be there) lifts the players for this.

i feel sorry for the people going but 5 nil to Wigan.

my bet is CP will wait for the Birmingham home game to say good bye ---because he has the class to say thanks to the fans who know he did his best.
  • Options
    Wigan will rip our heads off and shit down our necks!

6-0
  • Options
    Definitely need to take a look at the handicap betting markets for this one!
  • Options
    Must be the home banker of the season. The score? Who knows, but Wigan should be home and hosed by half time.
  • Options
    Charlton win 5-0.

Simon Church gets a hat-trick, Kermorgant gets one and Loic Nego gets the fifth. Roland ventures down to the tunnel at the end of the game and hands CP a new contract which he signs there and then. The Addicks fans come back to London singing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Charlton win 5-0.

Simon Church gets a hat-trick, Kermorgant gets one and Loic Nego gets the fifth. Roland ventures down to the tunnel at the end of the game and hands CP a new contract which he signs there and then. The Addicks fans come back to London singing.

Nice. And if we all believe in a universe of infinite realities then somewhere that will be happening!
  • Options
    Our new mascot Axolotl the Addick will lift the away support and they in turn will stimulate the players to override their feelings about being offered a maximum £10,000 a year in order to avoid income tax and thereby fit fair play legislation. A majestic 0-2, with the first goal scored by Loic from a snaky, mazy run the length of the pitch shortly after coming off the bench. The second goal is an incredibly flukey rebound off Scott Carson's arse.
  • Options
    Jims big line on Charlton many years ago was Charlton nil, which is what we will score in most games from now to the end of the season.

Just a matter of how many they score really.

Seriously hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks we hit rock bottom last night is in for a rude awakening.

0-4 defeat.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    5-0 to wigan and therapy (me lying) for my 8 year old son about how supporting a wank joke of a club is a good thing
  • Options
    Writing off the rest of this season and looking forward to hopefully getting a few wins in League One.
  • Options
    well it is good to see the positivity on this site. ffs support your club. is kermorgant gone yet... no. who knows maybe he will stay. i think wigan will be complacent and we will win 2-1. carbon copy of the leicester game away last season. i seriously think we will win. and if you don't then what is the point of you even supporting charlton. no one is forcing you to keep supporting us, so stop bitching about it. we will win, 100%.
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Even if the transfer window turns out well for us it'll be too soon. 2-0 to Wigan with some good signings. 4-0 without any.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Can see us getting a good hiding, keep things simple and play players in the correct positions give us half a chance please Powell

Alnwick
    Nego
    Wood
    Morro
    Wiggins
    Green
    Cousins
    Stephens Astrit
    Harriott/koc
    Sordell
    Church/Kermit just in case he stays.

If Wiggins and Stephens are gone by the time Saturday comes then I don't give a fuck who plays

2-0 to charlton Sordell x2
  • Options
    Far too much positivity on here !

;-)
  • Options
    WAFC 4-0 CAFC
  • Options
    When you expect Charlton to lose most they often............do, but sometimes they don't.

I'm going for an optimistic 1-1 draw
  • Options
    Looks like my lineup could be right!
  • Options
    0-1 to the Foreign Legion, followed by a big party on the pitch so that they can all meet each other. Roland can't make it, he's busy counting his money. Katrien bakes a cake but unfortunately it is found to be waterlogged.
  • Options
    When is the deadline for players to be able to be selected for the Wigan game?
  • Options
    No predictions from me until I know what players are left and available for selection.
    I am looking forward to this game with a mix of apprehension and expectation .. COME ON YOU (NEW LOOK) ADDICKS !!!!
  • Options
    Donny beat Wigan 3-0
    Donny beat us 3-0
    0-0 no probs
  • Options
    1-0