Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Bring The Dons Home' campaign: Invitation to support

I wish to bring to your attention news of a campaign to bring AFC Wimbledon back to 'Plough Lane' in the London Borough of Merton.
Charlton fans may wish to show solidarity by offering support to the idea.
http://bringthedonshome.org/

Comments

• Options

Done
  • Options
    Signed/done.
  • Options
    Can we play on your pitch?
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    My first ever away game was at Plough Lane. Have great memories.

Done !
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Who are they petitioning? ie who can make it happen?
  • Options
    Does it not feel a bit wrong as they will be pulling the dog stadium down? A bit hypocritical?
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Does it not feel a bit wrong as they will be pulling the dog stadium down? A bit hypocritical?

They do various motorsports down there as well. I think it would be a shame to lose it, although I suspect if the Dons don't get it then someone'll evetually knock it down and turn it into flats anyway. Only that one, Crayford and Romford left around London as far as I know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has my vote.
  • Options
    done, good luck in getting back to your rightful home.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    MrLargo said:

PopIcon said:

They do various motorsports down there as well. I think it would be a shame to lose it, although I suspect if the Dons don't get it then someone'll evetually knock it down and turn it into flats anyway. Only that one, Crayford and Romford left around London as far as I know.
    not true, Wimbledon is one of a few dog tracks not owned by a large bookmaker that actually makes money, it is the home of the Greyhound Derby, and part of this country's sporting heritage.Jonathan Hobbs from the racing post said on Tuesday night on sky, (in his words) "there are more chelsea fans in merton than Wimbledon fans". I would like to see Wimbledon return to their rightful London Borough but not in the expense of Wimbledon Dog Track.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

PopIcon said:

not true, Wimbledon is one of a few dog tracks not owned by a large bookmaker that actually makes money, it is the home of the Greyhound Derby, and part of this country's sporting heritage.Jonathan Hobbs from the racing post said on Tuesday night on sky, (in his words) "there are more chelsea fans in merton than Wimbledon fans". I would like to see Wimbledon return to their rightful London Borough but not in the expense of Wimbledon Dog Track.
    Agreed. it's not some much going home as it is kicking someone else out of their home and claiming it for yourself. Which in turn is not a million miles from moving somewhere else and claiming it as your new home...
  • Options
    Brothers a huge fan, ticket number 5 when they reformed as AFC, so it had to be done.
  • Options
    If The Dons come home then there will be 2 clubs in the area
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done cos then we'd be the only 'Royal' football club! ;-)
  • Options
    Not for me thanks. AFC Wimbledon have never played at Plough Lane, so it can't be considered "going home". Only one team in South London has mobilised its fans and brought its team back to its "home", when it was moved to play somewhere else.

Whilst I don't believe Wimbledon should have been moved to Milton Keynes, I also don't think the fans' solution should have been to give up on their club and set up a new one.

But, if you want to get the club now called "MK Dons" back to Plough Lane, I would be first in the queue to sign.
  • Options

I feel that Wimbledon FC, in moving to Milton Keynes, gave many Dons fans every reason to feel cheated and hacked off. It was probably more a case of that club giving up on its fans, rather than they giving up on it.
    For different reasons, some Manchester Utd fans felt the same about their club, and put their energies into establishing FC United of Manchester.
    In both cases, supporters voted with their feet and chanelled their frustrations into something positive.
    And, Chizz, please note that, not so long ago, Fulham FC left Craven Cottage to play at Loftus Rd, whilst the Cottage was to undergo construction works. Fulham fans championed the move back to the Cottage, the campaigning group responsible going on to form the Fulham Supporters' Trust.

Yes. Fulham fans - like Charlton fans - stuck with their club. "FC United " fans - like AFC Wimbledon fans - decided to walk away from their club and set up a new one.

Fulham's home is Craven Cottage. Charlton's is The Valley. FC United have played home games at Old Trafford. AFC Wimbledon have never played at Plough Lane.

You cannot conflate Charlton fans' work to return to SE7 with AFC Wimbledon's setting up of a new club.

• Options
    Chizz said:

I feel that Wimbledon FC, in moving to Milton Keynes, gave many Dons fans every reason to feel cheated and hacked off. It was probably more a case of that club giving up on its fans, rather than they giving up on it.
    For different reasons, some Manchester Utd fans felt the same about their club, and put their energies into establishing FC United of Manchester.
    In both cases, supporters voted with their feet and chanelled their frustrations into something positive.
    And, Chizz, please note that, not so long ago, Fulham FC left Craven Cottage to play at Loftus Rd, whilst the Cottage was to undergo construction works. Fulham fans championed the move back to the Cottage, the campaigning group responsible going on to form the Fulham Supporters' Trust.

Yes. Fulham fans - like Charlton fans - stuck with their club. "FC United " fans - like AFC Wimbledon fans - decided to walk away from their club and set up a new one.

Fulham's home is Craven Cottage. Charlton's is The Valley. FC United have played home games at Old Trafford. AFC Wimbledon have never played at Plough Lane.

You cannot conflate Charlton fans' work to return to SE7 with AFC Wimbledon's setting up of a new club.

Completely different scenarios though. We only moved to a nearby ground to share. Dons moved to a completely different part of the country, changed their name and are seen officially by the FA as a new team, not Wimbledon. If Charlton had done that then they would no longer be Charlton and I wouldn't be supporting them. As A_K said, Wimbledon fans did not abandon the club, the club abandoned them and no longer exists.

• Options
    DRAddick said:

Chizz said:

Completely different scenarios though. We only moved to a nearby ground to share. Dons moved to a completely different part of the country, changed their name and are seen officially by the FA as a new team, not Wimbledon. If Charlton had done that then they would no longer be Charlton and I wouldn't be supporting them. As A_K said, Wimbledon fans did not abandon the club, the club abandoned them and no longer exists.

This is an interminable argument. Especially if people draw a distinction between a club abandoning its fans and fans abandoning the club. The former is what happened to Charlton; I would argue the latter is what happened to Wimbledon.

The fact of the matter is that AFC Wimbledon - like FC United fans - set up their own new club when they didn't want to fight for their old one. And fans like Charlton's, Fulham's and others fought for their club, their traditions and their rightful home.

I will always be grateful for the brilliant work done by my club's fans back in the 80s to drag Charlton home. They overcame massive odds, financial constraints, political hurdles. My club's fans worked incredibly hard, selflessly and against all odds to bring Charlton home.

I hated going to Selhurst. Wimbledon fans were much less bothered about their club leaving Selhurst than my club's fans were of going there in the first place.

Someone has come on here to ask that people sign up to support a club - born from the detritus of a horrible situation where one club was dragged out of Croydon - wants to move "home" to a place where they have never played before. I cannot bring myself to support that idea.

In my view, for what it's worth (and I am happy to accept it may be worth very little) AFC Wimbledon fans should push their club forwards, find their own feet, create their own history; and not try to shackle themselves to the history of a tawdry little club from, whose nasty, offensive, dirty players won one trophy and many enemies. Good riddance to Wimbledon FC; and good luck to AFC Wimbledon. Only, let's not marry the two together.
  • Options
    done