Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath v Oxford Utd|FA Cup 3rd Rnd|Tuesday 14 Jan 2014|Preview, Views, News, Line Ups

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
The Introduction

Back in the "good old days" the FA Cup had no penalty shoot outs and replays continued until there was a winner. It wasn't uncommon for games to go to a neutral ground once both the home and away tie had finished level. The record is six replays held by Headington's bigger neighbours Oxford City and Alvechurch in 1971.

This will be "only" the third attempt to play this game. As we type the Club say the game in ON but subject to an inspection on Monday so talk of withdrawing because the game hasn't been decided after two attempts appears a bit wimpy to the more mature members of the Preview Towers team.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140112-oxford-on-but-inspection-on-monday-1289917.aspx

The Opposition.

Having already been thrashed by a Joe Pigott and Danny Green inspired reserve side in this season's league cup Oxford would be forgiven for thinking they have no chance against our first string.

One look at our cup record v lower division teams should quickly divest them of that view.

However the Us have only won once since overcoming non-league Wrexham in round two and top scorer J. Constable has been dropped to the Haywain following a minor goal drought.

Whatever, they will be up for the game and may well see the pitch as a leveller.

The Line Up

Illness/injuries to Stephens and Solly made them doubts for the Barnsley game and both might be rested leading to "they've been sold" rants.

Astrit Ajdarevic will be available to slot into Dale's vacated central midfield role but Michael Smith is cup tied. Harriot is fit again and following two goals v Spurs could come back in on the left.

None of the other rumoured transfers (Thuram, Dwyer) have actually happened yet so Chris Powell will be picking from an even slimmer squad than before given that Sordel is crocked and Stewart gone.

Hamer may return if fit while good reports from Ipswich regarding Jordan Cook could see him start. Don't be surprised to see a few more youth players on the bench either. It was in the league cup game that Cousins made his debut and Piggy got his first goal.

Hamer

Wilson Morrison Dervite Evina

Green Cousins Ajdarevic Harriot

Kermorgant Cook

The Prediction

There has been so much fussing and a fighting over this game what with the stand closures and the postponements that anything other than a 6 - 0 thrashing of the visitors will be an insult to the fans and embarrassment to the Club leading to Roland taking his ball home with him to Belgium.

So 1 - 0 to the Addicks (Kermorgant Pen)

Comments

• Options
    4-1 to us comfortable as well no matter who we play

• Options
    Third attempt now, Henry - postponed on the 4th and 8th January.

;o)

Good question whether most of the 1st team should be given a run out to maintain match fitness. If the match goes ahead, of course.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Home win. Below will help in understanding the rules for those attending (thanks to the Basingstoke Bluefins).

http://www.bluefinspolo.co.uk/about-waterpolo/rules-summary
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

;o)

Good question whether most of the 1st team should be given a run out to maintain match fitness. If the match goes ahead, of course.

No one likes a smart arse : -)

Corrected
  • Options
    Had to let you know before anybody else did - Charlton Life tradition, doncha know?

;o)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oggy Red said:

;o)

If it does go ahead would you really want any of our main men risking themselves on that surface given our paper thin squad?
  • Options
    It will be really hard for both team to be up for this game, you can imagine both sets of players going through the motions on Monday, expecting another postponement.
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Got to ask, who allowed Michael Smith to be cup-tied? This would have been an ideal game for him. Strange decision or was it thought that he wasn't coming back and his goal record has led to a change of mind.

If it is played, the line up may be stronger than on the original date, as a number of first team players will need match practice.

As for withdrawing from the cup or switching venues, don't be silly. Amazes me how people get busy on squad rotations and how it will affect our league form. Why worry about all that? It's a game involving Charlton, enjoy it for what it is.
  • Options
    I predict the game wont take place but if it does it will be a struggle played out in front of one of the lowest crowds in Charlton's recent history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    As players will have had a lack of games recently, would Powell not be tempted to play a stronger side so they are not too rusty for their next league game! If of course it does take place!!!!
  • Options
    Does anyone give a shit any more?
  • Options
    I would like to see Morgan Fox, Harry Lennon and Diego Poyet feature.
  • Options
    Here's exciting young prospect Kevin Lisbie scoring a pretty good goal against Oxford in the 90s --> http://plentyofshots.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/kevin-lisbie-vs-oxford-united/

Doubt it'll be on, but if it is, think it's important we get off to a decent start under the RD era.
  • Options

Does anyone give a shit any more?

I gave up giving one seasons ago; And that includes League games!
  • Options
    No score, it won't happen, when it eventually does I predict a narrow win 1-0 or 2-1, Oxford are really going to want to beat us after the messing about, they are not going to lie down.
  • Options
    Got to be a win for the Haddocks!
  • Options
    6-0. Absolutely certain of that. It's got 6-0 written all over it. Yes, I am going for 6-0.

Not sure who to though.

If pushed, I'll say Charlton.
  • Options
    If it goes ahead the match thread will start at 7 pm...addicks win 3-0
  • Options
    Can't be arsed, to be honest. Much, I suspect, as the team we will field. 1-1 and another match to add to the pile up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 home win
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

Got to ask, who allowed Michael Smith to be cup-tied? This would have been an ideal game for him. Strange decision or was it thought that he wasn't coming back and his goal record has led to a change of mind.

If it is played, the line up may be stronger than on the original date, as a number of first team players will need match practice.

As for withdrawing from the cup or switching venues, don't be silly. Amazes me how people get busy on squad rotations and how it will affect our league form. Why worry about all that? It's a game involving Charlton, enjoy it for what it is.

My thoughts precisely, would have been an ideal chance to play him in the first team.

When we have a loanee from a higher division they are never available for Cup games - and quite right too.
  • Options
    If by some miracle the game is actually played on Tuesday I think we will win just. I will be pleasantly surprised if the crowd is 5,000 or more.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 2m
    A reminder that there will be a pitch inspection today, ahead of tomorrow's FA Cup game. We'll update you as soon as we hear anything. #cafc
  • Options
    Not sure about closing stands as much as maybe only keeping a couple of blocks open one for us and one for them. This could be a record breaking crowd .. lowest ever for a cup at the Valley.
  • Options
    I have also heard that to get a result following the pitch inspection they are only playing on the 'away end' dry half of the pitch and it will be a 5 aside match.
  • Options
    We will start well and get ahead. Then, Oxford will come back. Yann to seal it 10 mins from time.
  • Options

Due to the low numbers expected the club have just announced they are only opening one dug out.

The other is flooded as its below the water table!