Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alcorcon - Spanish club the latest in Duchatelet stable? (Ed. Yes)

Comments

• Options
    The $64 question is what his overall financial objective and has he a financial priority order for his clubs? We could be a great capital gain if he got CAFC promoted but SL have a Chumps League opportunity.

But it comes back to what is his biz plan???
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think I am right but the approximate prize money for winning the Jupiler League is about €5.5 million and qualification for Champions league guarantees €2.1 million so a very successful season for Standard Liege could bring in prize money of around €7.6 million.

That's peanuts when you consider the money on offer in the EPL. QPR received a total of £40 million for finishing bottom last season. (€48 million)

If RD's prime goal is to make money then I think it is fairly obvious where his priorities will lay ?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Qualification for CL brings in something in the region of £15-20M. (without bonuses per point, that is).

Next to that, you have to take into account what it costs to get in the PL, it's a bit easy to only look at the money you get...
  • Options

Right can Everybody who lives in the UK STOP saying EPL

arrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Calm down dear. That's what it's called.

• Options

The future of football lies in prudent finances and self-production of players. A multi-national group is able to cast a much wider net for promising players.

What is indispensable to such a plan is a consistent level of high-quality coaching. Within a self-contained group the most talented coaches will have a ready career path that will appeal to (and reward) the ambitious ones, an incentive for success just in itself. A broad swathe of coaches from different backgrounds will produce a wide spectrum of technique, and the group structure will allow for sharing of best practice (and the reverse, the identification of failure and its causes).

For this to work, particularly across language barriers, the development of data in statistical form will be essential. Elsewhere Seth P has identified RD's penchant for figures - perhaps the Beautiful Game will no longer be known just for crunching tackles but for crunching numbers as well.

RD has been identified by our Belgian buddies as a control freak. Well, someone needs to know what's going on, and across such a diverse group there have to be strict financial protocols otherwise it will become a complete mucking fuddle. If you add rigorous statistically-based procedures to the coaching side, that is a further dimension.

To make all this happen of course the finances need to work, and how RD will manage this disparate collection of clubs will be interesting just in itself. The whole structure can succeed in the medium term only by producing a steady stream of sound, professional players and the occasional superstar. That's where the coaching comes in ....

• Options
    its like calling football soccer
  • Options

its like calling football soccer

No it's not.

• Options
    grrrrrrrrrrrr yes it is

the premier league was called the premier league until becks went to galaxy then everyone started calling it EPL on the net and boom now its EPL even to those in england
  • Options

grrrrrrrrrrrr yes it is

the premier league was called the premier league until becks went to galaxy then everyone started calling it EPL on the net and boom now its EPL even to those in england

That's progress for ya ;0)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

grrrrrrrrrrrr yes it is

Agree with you completely. I always thought it was only me that it grated on.

Makes me think of that joke "USASoccerGuy" account on twitter whenever I see someone refer to it as the EPL.
  • Options
    Moot point anyway. On this side of the pond they've moved on to officially calling it the BPL now (Barclay's).
  • Options

The future of football lies in prudent finances and self-production of players. A multi-national group is able to cast a much wider net for promising players.

What is indispensable to such a plan is a consistent level of high-quality coaching. Within a self-contained group the most talented coaches will have a ready career path that will appeal to (and reward) the ambitious ones, an incentive for success just in itself. A broad swathe of coaches from different backgrounds will produce a wide spectrum of technique, and the group structure will allow for sharing of best practice (and the reverse, the identification of failure and its causes).

For this to work, particularly across language barriers, the development of data in statistical form will be essential. Elsewhere Seth P has identified RD's penchant for figures - perhaps the Beautiful Game will no longer be known just for crunching tackles but for crunching numbers as well.

A strategy along these lines may well make sense. Owning a number of Clubs has the potential to provide benefits of scale as well as diversity and variety. You might add high quality medical facilities and so on.

Who knows if this is what Duchatelet has mind. I'd like to think he has a grand vision, but only time will tell. If he were to go this route then I'd expect a key step to be the appointment of a world class Director of Football to oversee player recruitment and development at all partner Clubs. A Johan Cruyff figure!! That would be something.

Intelligent analysis of data (a huge amount of which is now available), combined with thoughtful application of the insights it creates, may well be key to success.

An important constraint on what might be called an integrated Club model is obviously the need to ensure sufficient independence so that each Club remains saleable in its own right.

That said, my own best guess is that this Guy is probably just making it up as he goes along and I'd be surprised if a master plan is suddenly revealed. Nevertheless, it may still all work out nicely for us. Time will tell.
  • Options
    I think one of the other things that was picked up on in the loans thread is we often have a problem with players getting permits. IIRC Belgium is one of the easier places for players from outside Europe to qualify for a work permit. Promising players from outside the EU could spend a year or two at one of his Belgian clubs then move on to us, or Spain, or Germany, or wherever gets bought next.
    I can't say I'm entirely comfortable with where this might end up, but I'm sure it will be interesting, as the old Chinese curse goes.
  • Options

Right can Everybody who lives in the UK STOP saying EPL

arrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Calm down dear. That's what it's called.

Hopefully we can get promotion to the EPL from the EC.. getting relegated back to the EL1 would be a disaster.
  • Options

Indeed, MF. It may be that our boy has unwittingly got a tiger by the tail, but as long as he is astute enough to respond to developments as promptly, decisively and correctly as he can all should be well. One crucial issue will certainly be the balance between the clubs' independence and their subservience to Mission Control. Mr D being too heavy-handed or too lax could either way present a major problem.
  • Options
    Does that mean we can pull the lions tail again too?
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Moot point anyway. On this side of the pond they've moved on to officially calling it the BPL now (Barclay's).

I bet Barclay's marketing guys pushed bloody hard to get that.
  • Options
    There is an aptness to this considering the losses that can be made in the PL, sorry BPL.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Alcorcon - Spanish club the latest in Duchatelet stable : only a Rumor ; in Liège , nobody knows something about this club ( sorry for my poor English spoken )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Alcorcon - Spanish club the latest in Duchatelet stable : only a Rumor ; in Liège , nobody knows something about this club ( sorry for my poor English spoken )

Thanks Standardman and don't worry. Your English is much better than some posters on this site! ;-)

• Options
    Has anyone considered that he might be buying enough clubs to break out of UEFA and set up his own European-style league?
  • Options
    He'd need to buy quite a few more clubs first! 6 team league might get a bit boring
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

He'd need to buy quite a few more clubs first! 6 team league might get a bit boring

Especially when we get knocked out of the cup 1st round!

• Options
    Chizz said:

Has anyone considered that he might be buying enough clubs to break out of UEFA and set up his own European-style league?

No
  • Options
    If was after a club from Madrid thats a similar size to us I think Rayo Vallecano are a better fit...
  • Options
    Welcome to the "family"
  • Options
    I know it's been mentioned but would absolutely love a preseason tournament in Belgium with all the teams. Would be great.
  • Options
    Who's he going to buy next Friday?