Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton Debts Hit £164m

2»

Comments

• Options
    I saw in the paper Chelsea are 50million in the red. Chelsea for god sake how can they be so much in the red?

Bolton are Doomed by the sound of it. I still can't understand why freedman when there.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    And now what you have got is West Ham. Putting in a bid for the Olympic stadium and potentially could be in the same league as leyton orient. It's alright Karen Brady putting a buisness case together projecting this and that. This is football love you can't project anything. Once you fall out the premier league it hits any club hard. How could west ham sustain such a large stadium if they went down?
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

I saw in the paper Chelsea are 50million in the red. Chelsea for god sake how can they be so much in the red?

Bolton are Doomed by the sound of it. I still can't understand why freedman when there.

I'm just reading now that it means they can't lose more than £4.5m in this season to stay within FFP rules. I expect Roman's army of lawyers and accountants will find a way around it though...
  • Options
    One of my mates is a season ticket holder at Bolton, says gates are a lot lower than they were in the Prem and have continued to fall because the football they've been playing isn't very good (sound familiar?) He's been saying for a couple of years now that the club isn't sustainable because of the amount of debt. They're one place above us at the moment, not looking good for them at all.
  • Options
    Worth remembering that nearly all these club debts are due to players wages - the amounts that the public pay into football through admissions, merchandising and their Sky subscriptions have increased substantially. The administration route needs to be made a lot more painful if the real problem is to be addressed.

I suspect Freedman went to Bolton because he was offered a pay rise - he probably knows very well that in administration the football creditors need to be paid off in order to keep the franchise, and that it is the other creditors that bear the pain.

If the authorities continue to demonstrate their irresponsibility towards the running of OUR national game, then the Government needs to step in and give the authority to those who are better suited. Given the amount of money in the English game as a whole this should be a golden period - but it clearly isn't.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Assuming Eddie Davies is a Bolton fan and that is why he has sunk so much cash in then I doubt administration is in order. More likely he will try to sell the club and write off his debt to stop any more building up. They have a long way to go bringing down wages etc before anyone will buy them though. I hope for their sake they have most of their squad out of contract in the summer.

Freedman & Lennie to Bolton = worst. footY. decision. ever!
  • Options

Assuming Eddie Davies is a Bolton fan and that is why he has sunk so much cash in then I doubt administration is in order. More likely he will try to sell the club and write off his debt to stop any more building up. They have a long way to go bringing down wages etc before anyone will buy them though. I hope for their sake they have most of their squad out of contract in the summer.

Freedman & Lennie to Bolton = worst. footY. decision. ever!

Yes, Bolton's problem is not their debt (Eddie Davies will never get that money back), it's their level of losses. If Davies decides he is no longer willing or able to fund the Club they'll need to cut costs like there's no tomorrow. That could easily lead to a complete meltdown. FFP will, to an extent, reinforce that dynamic. Good bet for relegation next season if not this.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    MSE7 said:

And now what you have got is West Ham. Putting in a bid for the Olympic stadium and potentially could be in the same league as leyton orient. It's alright Karen Brady putting a buisness case together projecting this and that. This is football love you can't project anything. Once you fall out the premier league it hits any club hard. How could West ham sustain such a large stadium if they went down?

The answer is that they have a fantastic deal for the stadium, which you and I are paying for. Its a 99 year lease, and the rent of 2m/year is, inexplicably, not index linked. It gets cheaper every year. In the meantime they will get a windfall from selling the Boleyn. It is outrageous, and that is why I have a complaint running with the European Commission over it (see the EC/Swansea thread)

• Options
    this can never be repaid .. best case scenario? .. a tax write off if the lender has other 'business interests' .. or oil is discovered underneath the Reebok or elsewhere in Bolton .. no wonder the banks went tits up if they allow small and unstable outfits to get this deep into the debt mire
  • Options

this can never be repaid .. best case scenario? .. a tax write off if the lender has other 'business interests' .. or oil is discovered underneath the Reebok or elsewhere in Bolton .. no wonder the banks went tits up if they allow small and unstable outfits to get this deep into the debt mire

They don't own the money to a bank though, do they.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

MSE7 said:

I'm just reading now that it means they can't lose more than £4.5m in this season to stay within FFP rules. I expect Roman's army of lawyers and accountants will find a way around it though...

Chelsea will be fine. About £15m of their loss comes from investments in infrastructure and youth development, which do not count towards FFP. And they made a profit last season so i think it gets averaged out. With them back in the CL knockout stages this season, the new sky tv deal kicking in and apparently a new kit deal due to start, they'll be fine.

• Options
    I have no arguments with players being well rewarded, but it has to be sustainable.
  • Options
    There's a problem with the numbers though as Davis is worth less than the club's debt - £100m in 2009. If we assume that the debt to him is not included in his wealth (and it should be) then there is a shortfall of c. £64m, minus any increase in his net worth in the period since 2009.

With this being the case he just can't keep putting more money in and if he is personally underwriting the debts soon enough the banks will stop advancing funds as he can't clear it now - and the £100m will include everything he owns, including his home, he won't want to lose, literally, everything.
  • Options
    Who is Eddie Davies? - sounds more minted than that- or a fool.
  • Options
    I love the quote from Gartside.........."because its Bolton people are seeing the loan from Eddie Davies as debt".

Well, I've got new for you Mt Gartside; a loan is generally seen as a debt, unless it is an outright gift with no expectation of it EVER being repaid.

It would be interested to see what would happen if Mr Davies died & his wife/children want to divvy up their Inheritance.
  • Options
    I know at the moment he's probably worried about losing his job, but Powell should heed the warnings of Freedman and Howe before him. Both young managers in their first jobs at a club that they held legendary status at, only to leave for "more money" for it to go tits up and the club they left going higher than the club they're at now.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    How can anyone or anything living up tut north run up depts of this magnitude? What have they done ffs, bought up the entire North of England (with Scotland thrown in for nothing)?
  • Options

When Sky stop putting their money in we mght have a chance of getting our game back - but i doubt it - somebody else will replace them.

yep BT sport
  • Options

just wonder when this madness merry-go-round will hit the buffers ?? One day Sky will stop putting in their ££££ and then what ???

All us Football League sides can have a giggle when that happens.
    This is exactly what I think a club like us should do: just sit tight in the Championship and wait for the bubble to burst. If you manage to have a good run and actually win promotion then just take the money and run. Play the same team and accept relegation. Concentrate on the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Cardiff's debt has increased to 118m.....http://www1.skysports.com/news/11095/9112671/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27125852
    Bolton manager Dougie Freedman plans for reduced budget
    Bolton manager Dougie Freedman says he will need to reduce his playing budget at the end of the season.
    I can see them struggling next year. Leaving a Palace team looking good for promotion (bearing in mind he is/was a bit of a legend there to manage Bolton has to be one of the daftest managerial moves of all time!)
  • Options
    @OfficialBWFC: This significant agreement with @MacronSports will see the club's stadium rebranded as Macron Stadium from July 2014. #BWFC
  • Options

Bolton manager Dougie Freedman says he will need to reduce his playing budget at the end of the season.
    I can see them struggling next year. Leaving a Palace team looking good for promotion (bearing in mind he is/was a bit of a legend there to manage Bolton has to be one of the daftest managerial moves of all time!)

Might mean they would be willing to offload Sordell on the cheap. Question is would we be interested?
  • Options

True, but Palace were, by no means, certain to get promoted and, besides, I don't doubt that he was offered a significant pay rise to move and that is normally what swings it!
  • Options

Might mean they would be willing to offload Sordell on the cheap. Question is would we be interested?

Might we go back for Eagles as well ? It would be a different scenario in the summer if we survive to risking injury in a relegation scrap .

Clearly these players will not get the same sort of salary packages that they have enjoyed over the last few years. I think we could be well placed in the summer to pick up a couple of good freebies.

• Options

True, but Palace were, by no means, certain to get promoted and, besides, I don't doubt that he was offered a significant pay rise to move and that is normally what swings it!
    Peanuts compared to the payrise and bonus for promotion. Pulis is on a massive bonus for keeping them up too :-(
  • Options

Suspect infrastructure at Bolton was probably superior to that at Palace at the time DF went there. He was probably told the debt was manageable. In addition to a bigger salary he probably had a bigger playing budget (albeit much of it may have been tied up). With Palace by no means guaranteed promotion the move was not unreasonable.
  • Options

No. Monday was probably my favourite moment of the season but even on a hefty pay cut Sordell would still be one of if not the best paid player in our squad and I just don't think his performances have justified that. Also, I'd imagine there will be lots of clubs shedding players this summer and there will surely be better options than Sordell available.
  • Options
    I'm someone that has been supportive of Sordell, but unless he plays three blinders,I would not want to see him come in next season ... that said I am not sure who is out there that we will be able to bring in. another exciting close season.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

No. Monday was probably my favourite moment of the season but even on a hefty pay cut Sordell would still be one of if not the best paid player in our squad and I just don't think his performances have justified that. Also, I'd imagine there will be lots of clubs shedding players this summer and there will surely be better options than Sordell available.

Good point. Hat trick aside he's been part of a forward line who have struggled all season. I may be willing to take a shot with him, had Bolton not put him on ridiculous wages. As it is he's probably on an expectation he's worth that sort of money. Hopefully FFP and the debts clubs have will push player wages down. At all but the very top level, the gravy train might start to derail. This can only be a good thing. Players like Sordell will either have to face a massive wage cut, or face starting the season unattached.