Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sleep problems

What a nightmare. I've got work later and can't catch any form of sleep.

It's a pain in the arse probably ruined my day and pretty unhealthy the most annoying thing and somewhat of a regular occurrence. I'm not depressed or anything but perhaps partial stress can take over.

Anyone have similar problem? I assume getting prescribed sleeping pills is the start.

Comments

• If I can't sleep I usually move right to the edge of the bed and then I usually drop off.....
  • I've used Nytol before which worked very well and are available without prescription.
  • I've been an insomniac my entire life. Even as far back as when I was a kid I used to lie awake for aeons thinking about all sorts of shit.

Now I'm lucky if I get six hours once in a week. Wouldn't recommend sleeping pills - I was prescribed them once and they mullered me for days.

Sadly, I haven't found a single thing that works yet.
  • I've used Nytol before which worked very well and are available without prescription.

I used this as well. Although it seemed to work ok, after eight hours sleep the next day I was absolutely shattered all day long, I then couldn't get to sleep the next night either!

• Find ways to do more exercise during the day, for instance walking quickly part of your trip back from work, then, once in bed, try and
    study the conditions of your insurance policy.
  • Leroy whats your average amount of hours sleep a night
  • Exercise
  • always been a very light sleeper----lucky if i ever get a good lights sleep.
    Weekdays go to bed at 12:30 up at 06:30 so lucky if i even get 5 hours.
    Weekends go to bed at 12:00 up at 08:30 --------if im lucky.
  • I've been an insomniac my entire life. Even as far back as when I was a kid I used to lie awake for aeons thinking about all sorts of shit.

Now I'm lucky if I get six hours once in a week. Wouldn't recommend sleeping pills - I was prescribed them once and they mullered me for days.

Sadly, I haven't found a single thing that works yet.

This, I am in the Leroy camp. I simply do not have the ability to put my head on a pillow and drop off to sleep, I lie there for hours thinking about all sorts. Last night I got up and went downstairs for an hour, I was watching carp Fishing DVD's at 02.00 this morning.

I am so used to this now I function fine on little sleep, and as Leroy says I consider myself lucky if I have a night with 5 hours plus of unbroken sleep.

If you are looking at tablets I find 2 x Piriton sometimes work but you do get used to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn't piriton a pill for hayfever?
  • yeah but it can make you drowsy.
  • Its bizarre how we all function differently.

I was always terrible at getting off to sleep, would take hours, and for about 10 years with the alarm going off at 5.45, i never really needed more that 5-6hrs a night.

We then had twins 3 years ago, and during the cross-feeding, for 6 months or so that 5-6 went down to 3-4 hrs, but it didn't make me anymore tired or feel differently.

Then they started sleeping through the night and then i seemed to hit 'the wall'. Whether its coincidental or not, i don't know. But now i go off in minutes and i sleep solidly for around 8hrs every night and still feel completely shattered the next day (and can easily doze off at weekend afternoons).

Thought it was just a stage, but been like it for about 2 1/2 years now and can't see it changing soon.
  • Must be an age thing..
  • My old man has been an insomniac for as long as I can remember. He done a couple of years of shift work when he first started working for a bank in the late 70s and he never recovered from it.

He'll go to bed normally then within an hour, he'll be awake until 6am and then he goes back to bed when my Mum gets up. It drives my Mum mad. By the time he's done that for 4-5 days, he's so knackered he'll go to bed and sleep all night and half of the next day. Then he'll be back to square one again.

He was referred to a sleep diagnosis clinic but they never found a solution.

He suffers from what is known as restless leg syndrome as part of it too. Basically your legs muscles twitch like anything and that wakes him up. The prescribed medication is something which is used by MS sufferers but my Dad seems to be totally immune to it now as he's been taking it for so long.

We really hope that his upcoming knee replacement op will help him because he's constantly in pain at the moment which tends to keep him awake too. Its really distressing to see him like it. He's always been such an active person then all of a sudden he's not doing an awful lot because of the pain and lack of sleep and he finds it so frustrating.

I suffer from insomnia mildly in comparison to my Dad. It doesnt help that the dividing floor of my flat seems to be so thin that I can hear the 10 month old baby downstairs crying every night, as well as my other neighbours bedroom antics (she screams like a banshee!). I've learnt not to consume anything with caffeine in gone 6pm and not to touch energy drinks when training in the evenings otherwise I will still be wide awake at 4am.
  • Try 5-HTP supplements. I've had a lot of stress at work recently and started taking them a few weeks ago and find that I'm definitely sleeping better. Not so much longer, just deeper.
  • Read through some of these mate , should be off in no time

forum.charltonlife.com/profile/comments/6764/maybe_baby
  • PM me your phone number and estimated bed time and I’ll call you and tell you about my day at work and what my baby looks like when he's asleep.

If this doesn’t work SEEK MEDICAL HELP!
  • I don't consider myself an insomniac and I get 4 or 5 hrs sleep a night

It is never a sleep that is not broken

If I get more than 5 hrs I feel knackard

Is it not just normal to sleep for 5 hrs
  • Get hold of some Melatonin if you can. It's the natural sleep hormone produced by the Pineal Gland which produces less and less as you age. Don't know if you can buy it in the UK, but is available in Malaysia and other places. Air crew use it a lot to counteract jet lag.
  • Sponsored links:

• always been a very light sleeper----lucky if i ever get a good lights sleep.
    Weekdays go to bed at 12:30 up at 06:30 so lucky if i even get 5 hours.
    Weekends go to bed at 12:00 up at 08:30 --------if im lucky.

wouldnt be able to sleep either with all those cans of petrol under my bed.
  • Get maybe_baby to skin you up a fatty
  • I'm the same I work nights get in normally about 4:30-5 and I'm normally up by about 8:30 feeling like I've had a full nights sleep, on a rare occasion I sleep till about 10:30 I wake up feeling hungover and find it hard to get motivated.
  • edited November 2013
    Drinking coffee up to 6 hours before going to bed will effect your sleep. I don't drink coffee after 6pm as a rule anymore.

Drinking alcohol will also lessen your ability to sleep. Yes, if you've had a lot you go out like a light, but usually will disturb a lot later on.
  • Isn't piriton a pill for hayfever?

Yes but as Karim says they make you drowsy, well 2 do anyway, 1 does not touch the sides.
  • I had the most vivid dream I think I've ever had last night.

I went to court with my mate because he wanted to start crossbreading a pittbull with a collie but it was currently banned within the UK so we were there to try and get it OK'd. Jeffery Archer was the judge and my mate had made a leaflet about the dogs he'd had before and how well he'd treated them, etc. Then on my was out of court I met Petrescu and was telling him he could do better than Palace.

So strange.
  • Drinking coffee up to 6 hours before going to bed will effect your sleep. I don't drink coffee after 6pm as a rule anymore.

Drinking alcohol will also lessen your ability to sleep. Yes, if you've had a lot you go out like a light, but usually will disturb a lot later on.

I always sleep better when I don't drink

• I've been rubbish at getting a good night's sleep for years. For a long time I drank several large lattes at work and then ordinary coffee when I got home (I never drink alcohol at home).

I stopped all that, but it didn't really improve my sleep at all. I'm lucky if I get a couple of hours and then I'm awake for a couple before I sometmes drop off again, only to then have to get up for work.

I don't like taking tablets for anything and a while back my doctor recommended some exercises to try which did help. Basically, lying down in bed and, with arms by your side and legs stretched out, you tense your whole body, hold for 10 seconds and release. Do this several times over and it is meant to relax your whole body and make it easier to get to sleep.

Other than that, the upside to getting a cold is that half a bottle of Night Nurse knocks me out!!
  • Plaaayer said:

I had the most vivid dream I think I've ever had last night.

I went to court with my mate because he wanted to start crossbreading a pittbull with a collie but it was currently banned within the UK so we were there to try and get it OK'd. Jeffery Archer was the judge and my mate had made a leaflet about the dogs he'd had before and how well he'd treated them, etc. Then on my was out of court I met Petrescu and was telling him he could do better than Palace.

So strange.

And when you woke up GHE was humping your leg.