Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Pope makes those saves look easy. Gets behind the ball and holds on.
  • Options
    Never seen the lad play but if all these rave reviews are accurate then it would seem we have another special young talent on our hands.

Why not start him as the number 1 next year if Hamer decides not to renew his contract/isn't offered one. If we are focussing on youth going forward then maybe there is a case for him starting ahead of Hamer as the number 1. If we don't play him he will want to go elsewhere for first team football.
  • Options
    Don't want to piss on anyone's chips but I cant help but feel a lot of our current players would excel in L2. Pope is doing very well, and shows a lot of promise, but saying that he's better than Hamer at this stage is ludicrous.

Id hope he'd go out again next season to a L1 side and carry on getting experience against better opposition. Recall him if Hamer gets injured, but I think if he's shown up in the championship people will get on his back and all of this confidence building will have been for nothing.
  • Options
    Has anyone said he's better than Hamer? Hamer's out of contract and Thuram's on loan, in a few months time Pope could be our most experienced keeper.

If Hamer stays I'm sure he'll continue as our number 1. If he goes it depends what sort of budget we have.
  • Options
    Hamer will be given a new contract after his performances as will a few of the other first 11 so will be here next season. Whatever you think about Roland , he's not a fool.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Don't want to piss on anyone's chips but I cant help but feel a lot of our current players would excel in L2. Pope is doing very well, and shows a lot of promise, but saying that he's better than Hamer at this stage is ludicrous.

Id hope he'd go out again next season to a L1 side and carry on getting experience against better opposition. Recall him if Hamer gets injured, but I think if he's shown up in the championship people will get on his back and all of this confidence building will have been for nothing.

Why loan him to a L1 club next season when there's a distinct possibility we will be playing there?

Hamer no1

Pope no2

That would be my choice for next season.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

...I cant help but feel a lot of our current players would excel in L2...

On that short clip, I can't help think that Hogan and Lund would excel in our team ;-)
  • Options

Addicted said:

Why loan him to a L1 club next season when there's a distinct possibility we will be playing there?

Hamer no1

Pope no2

For me the only problem with him at No 2 is he'll not get the games. He's flourished with a run in the team (albeit in L2) and I think we'd do better to let him out to help improve further.

If we'd have had a little bit more investment in the team this year I feel it would have been better to do this for Harriot and Cousins as well. They have done well, but at times have risked being knocked as youngsters and the confidence from a great season in the lower leagues can do wonders. I think Harriot would have benefited the most from this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addicted said:

Addicted said:

Hamer no1

Pope no2

For me the only problem with him at No 2 is he'll not get the games. He's flourished with a run in the team (albeit in L2) and I think we'd do better to let him out to help improve further.

If we'd have had a little bit more investment in the team this year I feel it would have been better to do this for Harriot and Cousins as well. They have done well, but at times have risked being knocked as youngsters and the confidence from a great season in the lower leagues can do wonders. I think Harriot would have benefited the most from this.
    I think if we played him in league/cup games it could help. Plus the fact he will be in and around the 1st team.

The option then could be that we send young Phillips out on loan and hope he does the same sort of thing Pope has done.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Addicted said:

Addicted said:

Hamer no1

Pope no2

I think if we played him in league/cup games it could help. Plus the fact he will be in and around the 1st team.

The option then could be that we send young Phillips out on loan and hope he does the same sort of thing Pope has done.

You may be right, but I think the standard charlton cup run of 3-4 games across all competitions wont necessarily give him the time he needs. Still, I agree with the Phillips comment. Lets hope he kicks on; then we could play 3 in goal!
  • Options
    I hope that next season we have hamer as no. 1 and then Pope and Phillips as back up, with each of them having spells on loan so that they get match time experience as well as being 1st team bench warmers. the problem for ambitious keepers is rthat there is only one keeper spot and they can stagnate waiting for their chance, especially if they are not even played in the reserve fixtures. i felt that was the case with John Sullivan who performed well when 1st choice on loan buit when he became bench warming no.2 never quite made it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Its quite rare a young keeper impresses enough in training to wrestle the shirt off the more experienced keeper.

If he has ambitions to play for Charlton he will one day have to probably be number 2 and wait for his chance. Its not like Ben Hamer doesn't dip in form or have injuries. If he is established as number 2 i think he may fancy his chances to become number one. Would be excellent to see real competition.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    York City have confirmed their place in the League Two play-offs after a 1-0 win over Newport County today.

The Minstermen have only scored 9 goals in their last ten matches but Nick Pope has kept 9 clean sheets over the same period.
  • Options
    Fantastic for young Pope and most do his confidence a world of good
  • Options
    Thrilled for him.
  • Options
    He will surely have a shot at the number 1 spot here next year. If we go down, he will defo end up as our number 1 as you can see Hamer leaving.
  • Options
    9 clean sheets in 10 games is incredible!
  • Options
    York play Fleetwood tonight in the play offs so Nick Pope should be on view on Sky Sports 2 from 7.30 with a 7.45 kick off

come on the Minstermen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014

York play Fleetwood tonight in the play offs so Nick Pope should be on view on Sky Sports 2 from 7.30 with a 7.45 kick off

come on the Minstermen

Ahhh thank you... I forgot to check to see whether Sky would show this one as well or just the QPR match tonight
  • Options
    Well york wont concede will they? Not with the new Buffon in nets!
  • Options
    Good bit of foot work when sold short by a defender.
  • Options
    Really is a tall lad especially when he was standing next to the Fleetwood 'keeper in the tunnel
  • Options
    Four goals conceded in 16 games , very impressive .
  • Options
    This is the first leg isn't it, rained off on Saturday.
  • Options
    Yep , just claimed a corner well and a pretty good save straight after where the ball was moving all over the place , said the other day I'd be pretty happy with him being number 1 or 2 next season.
  • Options
    1-0 to Fleetwood... Not much Pope could have done to prevent the goal
  • Options
    If he gets to Wembley, who's up for a day out supporting York? A group of us all in Charlton shirts would be quite a sight.
  • Options
    he's got a good kick on him, but Fleetwood do seem the better side