Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peaky Blinders

Anybody watch the first episode last week?

Looks very promising. Been compared as a British version of Broadwalk Empire.

Next episode on tonight at 9pm on BBC2.

Comments

• Options
    Most of his rockets for us ended up in row Z
  • Options
    Just me then.
  • Options
    It's pretty good isn't it?
  • Options
    Yeah loving it so far.
  • Options
    Great show
  • Options
    Sky plussed but not watched yet
  • Options
    Very good first two episodes (though all the Brummie and Belfast accents are a bit too much). Great period location and sets, good acting.
  • Options
    Not just you VG. watched the first episode last week & have this week to catch up on. Cracking show from what I saw of episode 1
  • Options
    I must admit that as good as Sam Neil is as the chief copper, that Irish accent is a bit... odd. Though the Irish singer/spy is just lovely so I guess it all balances out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good stuff from the beeb. Moody, atmospheric and i think the soundtrack is amazing...works really well with the style of the drama.

think the cinematography is excellent..i love all the intense camera work even though i see that has been slated in many of the newspapers. Its polished and shows british work up there with the US stuff. The accents are strange there...everything except authentic brummie it seems. Think ive heard one character with a real brum accent.

its a great choice for dramatisation, peak gangsta time in history but we have heard a lit about american mafia establishement but less so about british at that time.

Like it a lot
  • Options
    Kimble, the top bookie, sounds exactly like Bricktop from Snatch.
  • Options
    I enjoyed it.. (as I have written elsewhere on here under TV Series) .. it mixes an early 20th century plot and education on post WW1 society and politics with a 21st century soundtrack .. one criticism .. yes it is set in a dark, grim industrial slum .. BUT everything is so dark and dismal .. brighten up folks
  • Options

one criticism .. yes it is set in a dark, grim industrial slum .. BUT everything is so dark and dismal .. brighten up folks

It is set in Birmingham, it's still dark and dismal!
  • Options
    ^^^^ alas, sad but true (:<)
  • Options
    Would not fancy meeting this lot on a dark night or any night to be honest!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-24047750
  • Options
    Just reviving the thread to say I thought this was excellently scripted and acted. Thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to the next series after that ending which left all options open.
  • Options
    Agree, really got in to it.
  • Options
    I hope there is more to come, one of the best (British) dramas to come out for a long time. Plenty left to explore should they want to - I know I do.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thought it was a great series, loved the little details like the packets of sweet afton. Someone has already said about the music, not being of the same time as it was set, however it really did go with the scenes.

Looking forward to the next series if there is to be one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope there will be another series, this one was excellent.
  • Options
    There will be a series 2
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Absolutely brilliant series. Loads to see in the Birmingham police museum one day about The Peaky Blinders. A colleagues father grew up in Small Heath and can remember their activities in the 1920s. What a family the Shelbys were portrayed to be in a very sinister way, feared no one, took on everyone, IRA, Gypsies, police, turf lords.

Brilliant screenplay, episode 6 kept on going right to the last second with twists and turns
  • Options
    Yep definitely agree with previous positive comments, a cracking series no doubt. Very classy, very slick and a fantastic soundtrack to boot. I don't mind paying my TV license when the BBC produce quality like this.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed it too. Not sure the accents were always spot on but it's a great production and loved the use of rock music for the action sequences.
  • Options
    I missed this, but see all 6 episodes are available on Virgin catch up.
  • Options
    The best thing to come out of Birmingham!
    Great series. I hope it gets a BAFTA or two
  • Options
    Thought this was one of the best things I have ever seen on TV. Nothing will ever get close to Breaking Bad, but this was right up there. Fantastic music from Nick Cave and the White Stripes worked superbly.
    Did he shoot her, or himself? Can't see a series 2 without Sam Neil tbh.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Thought this was one of the best things I have ever seen on TV. Nothing will ever get close to Breaking Bad, but this was right up there. Fantastic music from Nick Cave and the White Stripes worked superbly.
    Did he shoot her, or himself? Can't see a series 2 without Sam Neil tbh.

Sam Neil is def in the next season - saw an interview online with the writer/director

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/peaky-blinders/27113/steven-knight-on-peaky-blinders-birmingham-accents-working-class-drama-sam-neill-cillian-murphy-more

"For series two and onwards then, is your cast locked down?

Yeah. All the main players are down for it and really enthusiastic and Sam is like, tweeting all over the place in New Zealand about how he can’t wait. Without giving too much away, there’s going to be two new villains in the second series, we’re going to have some good names, good actors to play those."

• Options
    I'm catching up, but I saw the 1st 2 episodes this morning & thought they were excellent.