Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dale Stephens

Comments

• Options
    His comment that Cousins allows him to play that much further forward is quite telling. I think most of us felt he was being played too deep and whilst footballers should be adaptable some just can't be. Dale appears to be one. His first few matches with us were a revelation then there was the injury and the reported personal issues with girlfriend(s) and then the transfer that never was, not been the easiest of times for him since his injury.
  • Options
    At the risk of taking the thread away from Dale. I think Jordon Cousins would make me look good in midfield. I think that boy is class, I've seen him in youth teams but he was so effective that he was never on the ball that long, now he is in the first team you see more of him.

I've never knocked Dale just the way in which our midfield was setup, I always thought that that was the problem and I think the same was true of Danny Hollands situation. Dale was being asked to perform tasks that he is not best suited to and while he can do that, like anybody to get the best out of him you have to play to his strengths and now we are. I agree, get Stephens signed up as soon as possible because he will be difficult to replace should we need to.

For me though, Cousins is by far the best player we have ATM and I would not be surprised if he wins player of the year (pray to God he remains injury free), surely he is a cert for young player of the year. In a season that may only bring midtable (I still think that is where we will be) mediocracey it is Cousins who will be a most welcome highlight.
  • Options
    So, four years on, where is Dale?

Well, it appears that he has played the most amount of minutes of all English midfielders in the Premier League this season - along with Jack Cork.

Is that a reflection of the lack of decent English midfielders or has the boy done good?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Wonder if he could do it on the big stage with England yet for some reason because he plays for Brighton the National Team wont be interested in trying to find out if he can work along side and assist better players

Just look @ Harry Maguire with Hull last season and Leicester this time round.
  • Options
    I haven’t seen Stephens on telly this season but he was outstanding for Brighton in the Championship (hence Burnley’s bid of £7million a year ago) and any English midfielder getting regular games in the Premier Leaguemust have a chance. If Doug Livermore can get into the England squad, why not Dale Stephens ?
  • Options
    Blucher said:

I haven’t seen Stephens on telly this season but he was outstanding for Brighton in the Championship (hence Burnley’s bid of £7million a year ago) and any English midfielder getting regular games in the Premier Leaguemust have a chance. If Doug Livermore can get into the England squad, why not Dale Stephens ?

fuck me how old is Doug Livermore, think you might mean Jake

I think Blucher has given away his age and vast knowledge of football - Doug Livermore played in the 60s and 70s.
  • Options

He was always good. Was class when he played for us. I remember when he received a pass at waist high in midfield and scissor passed it to the other wing. He was not flash, scored a few as well.
    He was RD/KMs first stupid acts of getting rid of assets.

The spivs should be blamed more for letting his contract run down, I imagine Dale would have left for nothing in the summer if he hadn't been sold
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agim said:

A few years ago England had lampard & Gerrard at the heart of our midfield. Now we're taking about jake Livermere and Dale Stephens.....

Won loads with Lampard and Gerrard didnt we...
  • Options

He was always good. Was class when he played for us. I remember when he received a pass at waist high in midfield and scissor passed it to the other wing. He was not flash, scored a few as well.

The spivs should be blamed more for letting his contract run down, I imagine Dale would have left for nothing in the summer if he hadn't been sold
    Although the spivs supposedly turned down a bid for £2m from then Prem Aston Villa for Stephens.

It was said that Stephens was upset at the time, thinking his big opportunity had been denied him.
    Maybe he was offered a new contract by the spivs - but declined to sign it?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Although the spivs supposedly turned down a bid for £2m from then Prem Aston Villa for Stephens.

It was said that Stephens was upset at the time, thinking his big opportunity had been denied him.

That wasnt the same season though... I seem to remember us turning down that Aston Villa bid because we were away @ Nottingham Forest (we lost 2-1 and looked utterly toothless) which was the 2012/13 season... Stephens then left in January 2014.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

That wasnt the same season though... I seem to remember us turning down that Aston Villa bid because we were away @ Nottingham Forest (we lost 2-1 and looked utterly toothless) which was the 2012/13 season... Stephens then left in January 2014.
    In the intervening period, to say that his game suffered would be a huge understatement. If Villa had put in a similar bid during that time there were many of us who'd have driven him up there personally.

Nonetheless, it's good to see him putting his undoubted talent to good use and reaping the rewards.
  • Options
    Shelvey is a better player imo - if he could get rid of his "temper" then he could play for England again, although as Souness said at the weekend, thats what makes him the player he is.

sorry, but imo Stephens is a good Championship midfielder & average Premiership one. No more. no less.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Oggy Red said:

In the intervening period, to say that his game suffered would be a huge understatement. If Villa had put in a similar bid during that time there were many of us who'd have driven him up there personally.

Nonetheless, it's good to see him putting his undoubted talent to good use and reaping the rewards.
    Have always had the opinion that he was poor in 2012/13 yet the moment Jordan Cousins came in the following season, the two really linked up well in the middle of midfield and really complemented each other.
  • Options

agim said:

A few years ago England had lampard & Gerrard at the heart of our midfield. Now we're taking about jake Livermere and Dale Stephens.....

What a muppet you are
  • Options
    I said he was worth 5 million years ago , must be worth at least 10 now!
  • Options
    agim said:

agim said:

What a muppet you are
    Yeah that I am... Not the first and not the last to tell me that
  • Options

Blucher said:

I think Blucher has given away his age and vast knowledge of football - Doug Livermore played in the 60s and 70s.

Blucher said:

It’s a fair cop. I think old Doug also played for Norwich. Lots of useless information becoming increasingly confused.

Jake was the bloke on the bench for West Brom last week. Reminds me of when Paul Konchesky made his debut for England against Australia at left back - England’s potential number 3; Charlton’s third choice behind Chris Powell and Hermann
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The strange thing is that after Dale left us, Diego Poyet came in and we didn't miss him at all. I would never have thought that 3 years later Dale would be the PL midfielder, and Diego nowhere
  • Options

The strange thing is that after Dale left us, Diego Poyet came in and we didn't miss him at all. I would never have thought that 3 years later Dale would be the PL midfielder, and Diego nowhere

I'm just grateful we got to see a pl player of tomorrow play.
  • Options

agim said:

agim said:

What a muppet you are
    Muppet! You’ve taken that well.
  • Options

Agree. I blame Roland when I burn my toast in the morning, but it was the previous owners running out of money that cost us Dale. It was Yann they pointlessly chucked off
  • Options
    For all his apparent talent he blew too cold too often in his time with us. What really rankled with me and my matchday group was at that 'meet the players' celebration at the Valley after the SCP 3rd division winning season; we were on our way up the stairs to millenium suite, DS is on his way down, we all say 'Hi Dale', he never looked up from his phone, scurried down the stairs and away, not a scintilla of acknowledgement - rude, rude, rude.
  • Options
    I never really rated him for us, but he's done alright since moving on. Fair play to him. He was nailed on to leave us well before Roland turned up. Seem to remember Powell stating they would listen to offers as he wanted a move back north! Dowie syndrome
  • Options

agim said:

agim said:

What a muppet you are
    that's what his last date said...
  • Options
    edited October 2017

agim said:

agim said:

What a muppet you are
    that's what his last date said...
    Did he?
  • Options
    In my opinion was our most classiest midfielder since
    Scott Parker or Claus Jensen. The day he left we started going downhill!
  • Options

For all his apparent talent he blew too cold too often in his time with us. What really rankled with me and my matchday group was at that 'meet the players' celebration at the Valley after the SCP 3rd division winning season; we were on our way up the stairs to millenium suite, DS is on his way down, we all say 'Hi Dale', he never looked up from his phone, scurried down the stairs and away, not a scintilla of acknowledgement - rude, rude, rude.

I had a very different experience with Dale when I saw him in a furniture store in Sidcup in the summer he signed for Charlton. I went up to him and had a chat and he was very friendly and told me how much he was looking forward to joining Charlton. He was very friendly.