Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - Mon 18th March 2002 Tottenham Hotspur 0 Charlton 1

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Monday 18th March 2002. Tottenham 0 (0) Charlton 1 (0) (Powell 70). White Hart Lane, Att: 29,596

Tottenham: Sullivan, King, Perry, Gardener, Davies, Anderton, Sherwood, Poyet, Ziege, Ferdinand (Iversen 46), Rebrov (Etherington 73), Unused subs: Keller, Taricco, Thelwell.

Charlton: Kiely, Rufus, Costa, Fortune, Young, Stuart, Bart-Williams, Parker (Konchesky 83), Powell (Robinson 90) Svensson, Euell. Unused subs: Illic, Kinsella, Johansson.

Referee: Jeff Winter (Stockton-on-Tees)

Charlton's 1st ever double over Spurs extended their unbeaten run in London derby Premier games to a club record 12. Only arsenal could boast a better run than this since the Premier started in 1992 with 14 unbeaten.

Richard Rufus made a long awaited comeback from injury in this game.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite] Richard Rufus made a long awaited comeback from injury in this game.

And one of the best tackles i've ever seen (and heard) IMHO.

If anyone know's if that's on YouTube or the like, let us know.
  • Options
    Was that when he sent Sir Les Ferdinand into orbit?
  • Options
    watched this game in the spurs end behind the goal where sir chris scored .... what a beautiful feeling it was but i managed to control my delight(somehow) and just enjoyed the misery of the spurs fans around me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Was that when he sent Sir Les Ferdinand into orbit?

Looks like he didn't come back out for the 2nd half!
  • Options
    A rare night for Mr Powell.
  • Options
    and we have fans who would prefer ten 4-0 victories over nobody fc who have no fans that you know and can banter with than a chance of a result loke this

clown shoes some of ya
  • Options
    Loving that back four "Costa Fortune" you could not make it up
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Young Fish Costa Fortune was a highlight
  • Options
    The days when we played with Wing backs and three central defenders.
  • Options
    Yeh, not sure if they did actually line up together. It was on T shirts tho
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    they did, 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 whichever way you see it. So really it was Young Fish Costa Fortune Powell, doesnt have the same ring to it does it.
  • Options
    I was working with 2 Spurs fans at that point in time and we had a standing bet for every Charlton v Spurs game that the loser bought the winner(s) a pint for every goal they lost by.

T'was a good time to be an Addick!
  • Options
    Even had my favourite ref Jeff Winter on duty. He was once accused by misery-guts Moyes of being intimidated by our crowd to give some flaky decisions against Everton, so he gets my vote.
  • Options
    that tackle from the Ruf - awesome. Swear I'm still shaking now. A tackle like that is as good as a goal and lives just as long in the memory. Just as I can remember Costa's debut at Stamford Bridge as if it were yesterday. As oohahh says those that would prefer 'non-league' obsurity to the PL are indeed strange.
  • Options
    Happy days, one of many at 3 Point Lane. Think we went about 10 games unbeaten at Spurs, including a couple in the final seasons of our 80's stint in the top flight. Parker was immense in this one, my Spurs mates were moaning afterwards about all the fouls he'd got away with, when in fact he'd spent the evening making bone-crunching but perfectly timed tackles.
  • Options
    I had a large graphics project to have completed the next day which i hadn't finished. Still went to the game, project sorted about 2 hours before deadline, win win.

Also Rufus was an animal that night. I remember he slide tackled someone on the counter and then got up and did a 30 yard dash to slide and crunch into Poyet on the ground right in his back. Poyet rolling in pain on the floor and chants of Rufus Rufus Rufus echoing round the ground, priceless!
  • Options
    Charlton's 1st ever double over Spurs extended their unbeaten run in London derby Premier games to a club record 12. Only arsenal could boast a better run than this since the Premier started in 1992 with 14 unbeaten.

does this still stand?
    Would imagine Chelsea or Arsenal have extended this.
    watched this game in the spurs end behind the goal where sir chris scored .... what a beautiful feeling it was but i managed to control my delight(somehow) and just enjoyed the misery of the spurs fans around me
    No wonder our turnout seemed low.

• Options
    I'd forgotten about this game. I was invited to watch it from a Spurs fans' box and remembering making a bit too much noise when we scored the scrambled goal. All very enjoyable.
  • Options
    Flew back early from a lads weekend in Amaterdam for this game and was very happy I did. They really were the glory days and Oohaah, in response to your message, I think most fans would have enjoyed those first few years in the Prem more than what's happening now. As for the last couple of seasons when games like this were inevitably defeats by three or more, i'll take this season every time please.

I guess that makes me a 'clown shoes'!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Remember it well watched the match on tv in an irish bar in Benalmadena, Malaga amongst a load of Spurs fans. Enjoyed the bragging rights and banter and to this day don't know how I wasn't ejected especially when I reminded them CP never scores a goal!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2012
    thats curbs last season for HandG
    and beating chelsea on their own patch in the league cup on penalties, FA Cup 1/4 finals and and taking 4 points off liverpool and west ham i would prefer to 46 wins on the bounce in this pile of shit
  • Options
    I remember this well as I couldn't go to the game as I was playing in the london superleague darts singles in the tottenham superleague teams venue 5 min from the ground lol. I got a few looks that night as I was in my charlton shirt. Watched it on the box in the club and was playing when SCP scored
  • Options
    A Monday night game. Was this live on Sky?
  • Options

A Monday night game. Was this live on Sky?

Yes. We had a couple of Monday night games at WHL

• Options
    Who scored our winner?
  • Options

I love him

I'll never get over him ...... Unless Roly gets that Gent mob on loan for the whole of next season and stipulates that they have to attend all away games
  • Options
    Another night spent in the Tottenham home end laughing my tits off,
  • Options
    Can't believe this was 13 years ago. Feels like yesterday. Not convinced we'll ever reach those heights again...

i know whl only holds 36 odd and we probably didn't sell our allocation, but sub 30k still seems low...