Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iran Earthquake

Here in Dubai we are about 100 miles from the epi-centre of today's earthquake in Iran. My office building certainly took a bit of a shaking, it lasted for about 25-30 seconds. It was really strange to feel the whole building moving around beneath you. No damage or casualties here, thank goodness. Anybody else experienced an earthquake?

Comments

• Options
    I've twice experienced earthquakes - the last time the morning before the Dennis in the last Minute match against Palace. If that wasn't an omen...

http://www.uni-kassel.de/fb14/geohydraulik/koch/paper/2010/EGU/Willi_Waldkirch.pdf
  • Options
    Only two very small English earthquakes. First I thought there was a heavy lorry going passed the house at first.

The second was in the night and I though some drunk was trying to open the hotel room door as it shook. Went back to sleep and only found out it was a quake in the morning.
  • Options

Here in Dubai we are about 100 miles from the epi-centre of today's earthquake in Iran. My office building certainly took a bit of a shaking, it lasted for about 25-30 seconds. It was really strange to feel the whole building moving around beneath you. No damage or casualties here, thank goodness. Anybody else experienced an earthquake?

I'm pleased and relieved to hear that Dubai is ok given the proximity to Iran.

My wife's cousin lost his home and fractured his shoulder as a result of the first Christchurch earthquake.
  • Options
    Yeah, we certainly felt it again today in Doha, more so than the one last week.

I was sitting having lunch and initially saw my glass of water rippling before feeling a little bit of shaking. Luckily we are only 2 levels of a building, had some friends up on the 14th floor of an office tower and they were evacuated for their safety. Luckily no reported injuries over here.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yep, experienced it today over lunch in Doha. First saw my drink start to ripple, followed by a little bit of ground shaking. Initially said it was an 8.0, now scaled down to 7.8.
  • Options
    Yes, mostly been drunk when they have happened here and not noticed, but one night we were watching tele and the sofa felt like it was on a wave for a couple of seconds.
  • Options
    Once in Naples. Bed moved and people fled into the street. Terrifying.
  • Options
    I am a fat lad so if i drop onto the bed to heavy the street lights wobble
  • Options
    I was in a 2006 quake in Hawaii while on honeymoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Hawaii_earthquake

Measured 6.7 on the richter scale and as we were only 13 miles from the epicenter it was bloody terrifying. The whole hotel sunk into the ground, TV smashed on the floor, parts of the ceiling fell in. Happened early morning. I got up for a sh1t, and as I was on the bog it struck. Thought it must have been the dinner from the night before, but jokes aside, I cacked myself and bolted out the bathroom - screaming like a girl, telling my wife to hide under the bed! Seriously was the most terrifying moment of my life.

Have been in smaller ones in LA as well, but nothing like that. The ground under you moving defies all senses. It is the one thing that is meant to remain stable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Experienced a little one up here in Yorkshire. Got woken up by the bed rocking. Went straight back to sleep.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Had a very minor earthquake about 5/6 years ago with the epicentre near Market Rasen. It woke me up and I thought it was a big lorry ramming the building but the noise was akin to an express train hurtling past the house, the furniture was shaking, it was quite an unnerving experience .. there was some local damage to buildings
  • Options
    Experienced one in San Francisco last year. I found it more curious than worrying as it didn't last too long and no damage caused.
  • Options
    nth london addick said: I am a fat lad so if i drop onto the bed to heavy the street lights wobble

LOL NLA made me chuckle and today I need it.....thanks