Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help re holiday in Canada?

Don't know if anyone can help us with some advice re a Canadian holiday.

Both the wife and I might have the opportunity of a lifetime to go to Canada in 2014, for a few weeks next year, as the wife hates flying we want to make the most of our time out there, we got the chance to cruise to Alaska from Vancouver and either returning to their or San Francisco (worried about the USA immigration if we enter USA, just heard its a lot of aggro) also want to take the opportunity to go on the rocky mountaineer whilst we are out in Canada (I don't think the wife would fly that distance again), can you suggest which is the best route to see the scenery / wildlife, we probably could a tour / tours up to a maximum of 10 days on the train, plus 6 to 10 days on the cruise (most seem to be 6 days).

Cruise to Alaska seem to go from late April till August / September, which appears similar to the train, my question is is there a better time to go, ie spring etc, and what would the weather be like, at the moment with no knowledge we where thinking of August, would think we wold be out there for around 3 weeks, therefore would have have a few days spare between or before / after our trips, and was wondering if there must see things in the Vancouver area that would keep us out of mischief, we will both be in our early sixties and I got dodgy knees which limit the amount of continuous walking / climbing to around a maximum of an hour.

Regards
Kerry

Comments

• Options
    Vancouver is a wonderful City. Get across to Vancouver Island and visit the Capital of BC which is Victoria. It's a great City also. On the Island get to go Whale watching and Bear watching although the latter is often free !!!!! You can fly from Vancouver by sea plane to either Nanaimo or Victoria. It's a real must experience and not very expensive and compares well with the car ferry. You will need a car. Have a look at Harbour Air.
  • Options
    Hi Kerry
    A few years ago my wife and I took a trip to Canada flying into Calgary staying at a airport hotel.
    The next day driving to Banff, stayed for a couple of days, then drove to Lake Louise for a few days easy walking and then onto Jasper – stayed in a log cabin (saw black bears) – drove to Vancover – then across to Vancouver island (a must see) then back to Vancouver and flight back to the U.K.
    We’ve travelled extensively in U.S. (I’m about to have a book published about mature travellers) and never experienced big problems with U.S. immigration.
  • Options
    Thanks both SHG and JFN for your advice, looks like (if it comes off) then it would certainly be a holiday of a lifetime, nice to se the comments about Vancouver and the immigration as that was a concern. Now wondering if should do the train trip or perhaps consider car are that would give more flexibility.
  • Options
    Get a car. Flexibility is the key. It's a huge place and you can't rely on anything other than yourselves if you want to see what you want to see. Fuel is by our standards cheap and the road again by our standards empty.
  • Options
    A couple of places that might be of interest to you whilst in Vancouver (although they are in the US) is Mount St Helens, and also the Boeing factory at Everett (you can book a tour). Everett is about 2 hours drive from Vancouver from what i recall and St Helens a further 3 hours.
  • Options
    And Seattle is just across the border.
  • Options

And Seattle is just across the border.

Yes, you could go by train to Seattle from Vancouver then take the ferry back to Victoria.
  • Options
    San Francisco is a great city! And as long as you have a clear criminal record, apply for an ESTA and have a ticket back home then they'll let you in without much problems
  • Options
    As S.H.G. said book a car before you travel to give you max. flexibility.
    Book a hotel for you first night after flying into Canada but check into hotels along your journey.
    Others may have views on The Rocky Mountaineer but I’m not convinced.
    Tofino on Vancouver Island is a great little town, worth a couple of days.

• Options
    Here's the only advice I have (it's not for the easily shocked):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxEA44-plb4
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had a great holiday in Canada. We never went n the train but others have said that it is dull. You need a car, driving a dream. The best 4 days if my life were spent at grizzlybear ranch near kaslo which is about 10 hours drive.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your advice, neither of us has got a criminal record, well not yet anyway, interesting comment about the train John as I would have thought it was the way to see it, although how can you put it, its is bloody expensive.

Will certainly think about a car, but will definitely do the cruise. I suppose with the car you got more flexibility and can stay for as long as you like when you find somewhere interesting. Sorry this really is showing my ignorance of North America, if we stayed in Vancouver could we commute to America and return same day, is San Francisco drivable in a day and how many days do you need there to do it justice. How long should you allow to drive from Vancouver whilst taking in the sights along the way to say Banff, for some unknown I always wanted to see Banff. I think what I am trying to say, including a week cruise to Alaska, would 3 weeks be enough to have x number of days in San Francisco and do a car / train tour of the Rockies?

• Options
    Hi Kerry
    Not sure about visiting San.Fran. from Vancouver mainly because San.Fran is worth at least 2 days to explore.
    My advice would be to take one way car hire from Vancouver to Calgary or the opposite way, with the route suggested in my previous post, (Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Whistler, Vancouver Island). We took this route in May/June a couple of years ago and it took us 16 days.
    You could add a cruise from Vancouver to make your 3 weeks.
    Do your internet research – plan very loosely and I’m sure you will have a wonderful trip.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Thanks for all your advice, neither of us has got a criminal record, well not yet anyway, interesting comment about the train John as I would have thought it was the way to see it, although how can you put it, its is bloody expensive.

Will certainly think about a car, but will definitely do the cruise. I suppose with the car you got more flexibility and can stay for as long as you like when you find somewhere interesting. Sorry this really is showing my ignorance of North America, if we stayed in Vancouver could we commute to America and return same day, is San Francisco drivable in a day and how many days do you need there to do it justice. How long should you allow to drive from Vancouver whilst taking in the sights along the way to say Banff, for some unknown I always wanted to see Banff. I think what I am trying to say, including a week cruise to Alaska, would 3 weeks be enough to have x number of days in San Francisco and do a car / train tour of the Rockies?

Yes you can travel back and forth across the border (but check that the car hire company and its insurers allow it). I've done it between NY State and Canada. But the queues can be very bad across the border and you will be treated differently from US and Canadian citizens. Expect to have to stop, park up and visit the offices rather than just showing your documents and being waved through. So far, I have been unable to find out whether USA ESTAs are just for air travel or also apply to border crossings by road. (I needed one anyway as I was flying into the US.) But can't do any harm to get pre-authorisation anyway.

Rule No1 for road trips: Never underestimate the size of North America. Vancouver to San Fransisco is 950 miles. I always take the safe(ish) rule of thumb of assuming I'll average no more than 50 miles an hour (plus your time at the border crossing) to incl. food, fuel stops, etc. so you are looking at 19 hours - that's two solid days in the car each way really without stopping at any sights en route. (Both Washington and Oregon states are sufficiently interesting to easily use up a two week break no trouble. And you wouldn't really want to be there and miss out on the Redwood National Park and Yosemite either.)

I took the right clothes but for the wrong reasons! If you're going in the summer, the weather is generally what you'd think of as back to front: It's cool and misty down by the Pacific and very hot and dry up in the mountains.
    I haven't but some years ago my Dad did the cruise thing (up the Vancouver Island Channel I believe) and said it was the most boring thing he had ever done! Just trees, in the distance on the port side and trees in the distance on the starboard side.
  • Options
    Thanks again John, and cafcfan you summed up my situation very well I didn't realise the distances where that great, seems like I will be doing plenty of research.

John thanks am now starting to research your suggestion as that would overcome the crossing the border.
  • Options
    PS, if you are venturing into the US, I can highly recommend Mount St Helens in Washington and Crater Lake National Park in Oregon, particularly the latter.
  • Options
    Vancouver is a brilliant city and like others have said Vancouver Island is definitely a must visit especially if you like bears and eagles.
    Hire a tandem and have a day exploring Stanley Park in Vancouver.
    Wish I was coming with you.
  • Options
    I work in the Pan Pacific hotel up in Whistler, a beautiful 2 hours drive North of Vancouver. Will be able to get you a great deal in the hotel up here, as well as our property down in Vancouver. It really is a beautiful part of the world.

Also worked on a cruise ship going from Seattle / Vancouver to Alaska (Princess cruises) - you wont regret that trip... stunning!
  • Options
    Not as bad as I'm doing in 2014, I'm using train/walking to go from Toronto to Vancouver whilst carrying all my stuff and tent with me and doing stuff for the different communities whilst on the trip.
  • Options
    You haven't e-mailed me that CV yet Nathan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I work in the Pan Pacific hotel up in Whistler, a beautiful 2 hours drive North of Vancouver. Will be able to get you a great deal in the hotel up here, as well as our property down in Vancouver. It really is a beautiful part of the world.

Also worked on a cruise ship going from Seattle / Vancouver to Alaska (Princess cruises) - you wont regret that trip... stunning!

I skiied Whistler - absolutely petrified on the top of that glacier. Didn't know what way was what.

My mate worked out there (married a Canadian lass) and spent 2 nights lost on that mountain !
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thecrazyaddick, thanks for the offer, might take you up on that, will buy you a beer if I do. Looking to go on Regent Seven Sea Navigator (this part will be business, hence going on a 6* ship, its a hard life, but someone's got to suffer:-))

The remaining 2 weeks will be the touring part and will be free time for me and the wife so we want to take advantage of canada whilst we are there and to enjoy ourselves.

Pleased you think the cruise part is spectactular as we are both seasoned cruisers and are looking forward to it, thanks to everyone else who have offered advice, been most informative.

PS good luck Nathan, sounds a fantastic trip for a youngster, hope you have a great trip and hope you don't get rogered by a bear :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    PS good luck Nathan, sounds a fantastic trip for a youngster, hope you have a great trip and hope you don't get rogered by a bear :-)

Some on here would hope he does ;0)
  • Options
    You might want to consider hiring an RV instead of a car - this will also give you the best touring situation and also save on hotel bills.I did this for 7 weeks up West coast of US - best holiday ever.
  • Options
    Sorry The_President really showing my age, but what is an RV?
  • Options
    Recreational Vehicle...

Basically a camper van.
  • Options

Recreational Vehicle...

Basically a camper van.

Cheers and sorry I had to ask.

• Options
    You can take the mountaineer train across from Vancouver to Calgary, the scenery will knock your socks off. You go through the Okanagan (Canada's wine country) which is very hot and lush in the summer a beautiful and largely unknown to Europeans part of the world - then up into the mountains through Banff and onto Calgary. You could easily fly back to London from Calgary, many people do this .

The mountains are breathtaking beyond belief and you should see plenty of wildlife. Not sure how many days the trip is, but i would seriously look at this option as the train is such a good, relaxing way to enjoy the sheer diversity of scenery you will encouter.
  • Options

Not as bad as I'm doing in 2014, I'm using train/walking to go from Toronto to Vancouver whilst carrying all my stuff and tent with me and doing stuff for the different communities whilst on the trip.

Tell us all about it Nathan, I love a good adventure. Don't forget your bug spray and mozzy net, and a nice warm bag for the winter.
  • Options

Tell us all about it Nathan, I love a good adventure. Don't forget your bug spray and mozzy net, and a nice warm bag for the winter.
    It'll be during 2 weeks in August so it won't be that cold (I don't think)