Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Housing legal beagle needed.

Just wondering if someone can help. I moved into my present house two and a half years ago. I chose it for my retirement because it is quiet and not overlooked. My landlord without consulting me has put in plans to convert a disused barn into two 2 family homes. The barn is next to my house at right angles, so both houses run down two sides of the garden. So we will have children able to look in my windows at all times, share my garden and generally ruin my retirement. My gf is autistic and no way could we stay if this all goes through, so we will have to move. Apart from the £5,000 we've spent on the house, the labour and love we've put into this place cannot be quantified. Do I just have to call it a day and move on, leaving a stunningly decorated house with my central heating, or can I get compensation.

We'll be greatful for any hope whatsoever, so many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    There's nothing you can really do apart from appealing the Planning Permission for the reasons you've stated - ie being overlooked.

The landlord has no need to consult an adjoining tenant on his proposals, though the Local Authority will send you the planning details and tell you how to appeal against the permission.

Best bet is to move if it doesn't suit though.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I could not offer any legal advice, but how is your relationship with your landlord?
    By all means find out your legal rights, but if you are in direct contact with him, try and discuss this and come to a compromise. If you put in an objection to the planning he is hardly going to be happy with a tennant stopping him making money, he probably thinks he is just trying to make some money, perhaps he just has not concerned himself with your concerns/rights. He might also appreciate a face to face discussion. I am sure you could object, and nothing wrong with getting advice, I would myself. At the very least he cannot accuse you of being difficult as he did this without discussing it with you.
    Sorry to hear your dilemma.

If he is a complete shit, then get the local paper on to it, and speak to your ward councillor, ask other locals?. He may well go ahead and build it, but might be prepared to modify the design, I know if I valued a tennant I would try and take into account there concerns, and obviously you seem to value the property. Why should you leave?. Why should he loose a good tennant?
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice and support Ken, and yes he is a complete shit and wouldnt care if myself and my gf were out on the street. He has told people we are mentally ill, have no morals, are anti social, and have a troubled relationship...just to add that none of our neighbours or anyone in the town think the same.

• Options
    Anyone can lodge an objection to a proposed planning development - but in you don't register an objection, then your views will not be taken into consideration.

The local council's planning department should write to you but in case they don't you should contact them and your local councillor as well as any other residents nearby who might be affected by the decision. The Duty Planning Officer at your council will be the best person to contact and discuss the matter.

You might also want to review the local planning policy, it might give extra reasons why you can oppose the suggested development (on the other hand it might not - but you won't know until you have a read of it).

Try and find out also if there have been previous planning applications on the property (or any nearby) and see if they were refused and why. If so that could give you grounds for your objection.

Lastly, list your objections in a concise manner with supporting evidence. You might also want to have a chat with your landlord and politely make your objections known, it might be that he would modify the plans to accommodate your concerns, such as building a taller wall/fencing off an area that is "yours" or whatever would satisfy you.

Lastly, you are entitled to attend any planning committee meeting where the project will be discussed and you should get an opportunity to speak at this meeting, but check as you might have to register/notify someone beforehand that you would like to speak.

If the meeting goes against you then you can lodge an appeal.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thank you so much BFR, that has given us some hope at least. There is no point talking, we were just told straight..."If you don't like it, move" They know I'm in poor health and thats why I had to put the heating in myself...they will probably get a lot more rent now as it is centrally heated.
  • Options
    If you're "forced out" dismantle the central heating or do something to it that would cost him a lot to put right :-)

• Options
    What sort of tenancy do you have maybe_baby? While raising an objection to the planning application may stop the development or force some kind of adjustments so you're not overlooked, it's unlikely to endear you to your landlord. If it's the standard shorthold tenancy, then there's nothing to stop him deciding that he won't renew it next year, or put your rent up to an exorbitant level, in which case you'll have to leave anyway.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd be amazed if any money spent on decoration is recoverable. TBH whenever I've been renting the contract forbade redecoration at all. If it was me, I'd go to the landlord and say this development will make your tenancy unbearable so you'll have to submit a planning objection, but if he was able to pay £X to cover your moving expenses then you wouldn't need to any more. It's not exactly a low risk strategy though.
  • Options

Thanks for the advice and support Ken, and yes he is a complete shit and wouldnt care if myself and my gf were out on the street. He has told people we are mentally ill, have no morals, are anti social, and have a troubled relationship...just to add that none of our neighbours or anyone in the town think the same.

Then you have little to loose mate?
    As BFR states go along to the planning department and speak to the duty officer. As it is a barn it is probably listed,( or could be?) and may well have to have conservation approval by the council?.

In Bexley they have an advisory panel, and the full planning com take advice and guidance from them. Remember most barns are for agriculture use, and the planning department can really impose a lot of conditions. Barn conversion was very fashionable 20 years ago, when I worked on Period Living one of my photographers who got to be a good friend wrote one of the bibles for this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Barn-Book-Kate-Corbett-Winder/dp/0091809282.
    The important thing is that the planning application should be in proportion to the setting it is planned for. Good planning should have a high regard to the enviroment it is planned for?
    Your fears and concern's should be shared with the planning department, and if your landlord has any sense he will not want to argue the planning department. They will have to judge the planning application on it's merit's, but that leaves a wide discretion?
    Wish you luck, where about's is this.....

• Options
    You could always buy the property yourself, that would put a stop to his plans.

Piss him off too much, he can always serve you notice to quit.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ken, here lies the problem. The building is a tudor part old stable, part barn / cottage and it is listed. In one of the proposed apartments the two upper rooms cannot have a door between them because you are not allowed to cut through the beam. When a neighbour suggested this would put off potential tenants, my landlord replied "I'll put a doorway in and say the last tenant done it" Believe it or not, my landlord is also a planning officer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Then he should be very wary of doing anything like that..... and is just winding your neighbour up..... and has now admitted it?.
    'Planning officer wrecks listed barn' is hardly going to go down well splashed across the local paper is it?.
    As my old magazine stated.....
    The way local authorities interrogate plans for barn conversion is getting stricter. What would have passed even five years ago as a design methodology now often needs to be supported by independent advice and reports. Often we find the local authority will delegate detailed inspection of the plans to historic building officers, and they increasingly require such work as independent structural surveys, to prove that these buildings can be converted without significant reconstruction or compromise to the original fabric.
    http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/existing-homes/converting-barn/design-solutions
    http://www.realhomesmagazine.co.uk/home-improvements/redesigned-tudor-home
    The second one shows what you can do, with the money and the right design ideas..... bit out of my league I am afraid....
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="BlackForestReds">If the meeting goes against you then you can lodge an appeal. </blockquote>

Sadly that's not the case. An applicant can appeal to the planning inspector if the application is refused by the council, whilst the only route for an objector to an application that's been approved is to seek a judicial review which is a)expensive and b)only results in the decision being taken again. Sorry about that.

I'm a councillor here and have done my time on planning committees. Without knowing where you live it's hard to get specific but:

1) From what you say, the application has been placed at the council and has been validated. That means it's a 'live' application and will have an application number. You need to try and find some time to look at your council's planning policies. This is possibly called a Unitary Development Plan, Local Development Framework, possibly a Core Strategy. There may also be other relevant Special Planning Guidelines. If you want to PM me with details on any of these I'm happy to take a look.
    2) Is the aplicant, your landlord, a planning officer in the council where you live? If so, then it is very likely that the application will have to be put in front of councillors on the planning committee if the planning department are minded to approve it. Thiis is good, as some applications can be approved by planning officers without them going near councillors making theirdecisions in public.
    3) To help prevent this, don't be frightened to ask your friends and neighbours to object. There is often a threshold number of these letters that push the application into being discussed by councillors rather than being approved by planning officers.
    4)Talk to a local councillor. S/he may be brilliant or rubbish, so it's hard to say how useful they will be. Hopefully they will help navigate the planning policies.
    5)Reasons for refusal have to be based on planning policies. Overlooking is rarely a reason for refusal. This is usually dealt with by specifying minimum distances between properties.
    6)There is a lot of literature on barn conversions and the planning policies may well be specific on this.
    7)Is the barn listed by English Heritage or is it a local listing? The latter is a thing some councils do. It doesn'tactually make much difference.
    8)If the applicant works for the local authority you live in, ask that the application be reviewed at a senior - ideally Director - level.
    9)Unfortunately, a landlord nearly always has the upper hand. What tenancy are you under?

Good luck to you.
  • Options
    council not councillor at the top there, can't edit it. sorry.
  • Options
    BA thank you so much for your input, we have smiled for the first time today. It is more complicated than it seems but for legal reasons I cannot paste up the history of my landlord, but I can assure you it's not pleasant. Will PM you relevent details tomorrow. Once again many thanks.
  • Options

Then he should be very wary of doing anything like that..... and is just winding your neighbour up..... and has now admitted it?.
    'Planning officer wrecks listed barn' is hardly going to go down well splashed across the local paper is it?.
    As my old magazine stated.....
    The way local authorities interrogate plans for barn conversion is getting stricter. What would have passed even five years ago as a design methodology now often needs to be supported by independent advice and reports. Often we find the local authority will delegate detailed inspection of the plans to historic building officers, and they increasingly require such work as independent structural surveys, to prove that these buildings can be converted without significant reconstruction or compromise to the original fabric.
    http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/existing-homes/converting-barn/design-solutions
    http://www.realhomesmagazine.co.uk/home-improvements/redesigned-tudor-home
    The second one shows what you can do, with the money and the right design ideas..... bit out of my league I am afraid....

He's not winding up my neighbour, he does things like this.