Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iain Banks

Really sad news for Iain Banks fans out there :(

http://friends.banksophilia.com/

Comments

• Options
    mmmmmmmmm.. I am so sorry for Mr Banks. Pancreatic cancer is a real hard one and the cancer has spread throughout his body. As a cancer 'survivor', I can only wish him all the VERY best of luck in what will be a difficult time.
  • Options
    Iain Banks was and is one of my favourite writers. Very sad especially on the back of James Herbert's death last week.
  • Options
    My second favourite author. Sad indeed, to think that I'll never have the immense enjoyment of finishing another fantastic book of his. Hoping for a miracle, but he doesn't seem optimistic himself :(
  • Options
    That's really sad. I haven't read any of his latest mainstream novels since Crow Road but am a big fan of his sci-fi stuff.
  • Options
    His own full statement about his illness is absolutely stunning. What an example and so moving.
  • Options
    Damn. I loved "The Wasp Factory"
  • Options
    Blimey, God bless him.
  • Options
    Gutted. I've read all of his stuff including the sci-fi.
  • Options

My second favourite author. Sad indeed, to think that I'll never have the immense enjoyment of finishing another fantastic book of his. Hoping for a miracle, but he doesn't seem optimistic himself :(

I believe his latest (last?) novel will be fast-tracked into publication.

• Options
    I had only started re-reading Feersum Endjinn yesterday for the umpteenth time...it's a marvellous book. I love all his sci-fi stuff and have read some of his mainstream novels. If you want to try Banks it's not a bad place to start...or the beginning of The Culture series with Consider Phlebas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Started with The Player of Games and apart from William Gibson and Bradbury had never encountered such a rich sic-fi imagination! Then tried his contemporary stuff which also blew me away. How he mastered two types of fiction is awesome in itself. One of the great modern writers.
  • Options
    Excession is one of the greatest novels ever written. Ditto The Wasp Factory, and Transitions (underrated masterpiece).
  • Options
    Read his statement last night, his bravery is awe inspiring.
  • Options
    Sad news, always a great read.
  • Options
    terrific writer, one of my favourites, very sad news
  • Options
    Wonderful author and notable whisky lover.