Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

HMV

Comments

• Options
    My girlfriend works for a market research company. The only product that has been keeping HMV in business for the last year or two, I'm told, is headphones.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

My girlfriend works for a market research company. The only product that has been keeping HMV in business for the last year or two, I'm told, is headphones.

Crickey do you mean the 'Robin Van Persie' headphones as i call them , i saw some behind the counter for 400 quid , nearly had a heart attack! :-0

• Options
    edited January 2013
    and I am gutted too. I bougth them in to spend them today I got £20 worth of vouchers that my team got me for my birthday in December !! I feel disappointed but more sorry for my team who bought them for me. Shame i didn't take much notice during aht time and opted for something different. Still I have a voucher card with a nbice looking dog on it. It might fetch a £5 as a collecters item in 20 years time !!
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Crickey do you mean the 'Robin Van Persie' headphones as i call them , i saw some behind the counter for 400 quid , nearly had a heart attack! :-0

Safest way to buy them was from a shop. Thousands of pairs ordered on-line last year went "missing" in transit.

• Options

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking
    #HMV no longer accepting or issuing gift #vouchers - UK entertainment retailer appointing administrator http://bbc.in/ZS0mpD

However does anyone know if this is legal and the chances of re instatement of the vouchers?
    Okay, sounds a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but ......... they have sold a product that is invalid within its period of validity.

Surely a Trading Standards issue?

• Options
    I worked for HMV for a while so find this news a bit sad.

In my opinion, if HMV online had a more appealing website for the customer, then business would be a lot more solid. They needed to put their online sales as a top priority to balance the competition with Amazon and Play.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The writing has been on the wall for a couple of years now but no-one is prepared to do anything about it. I can't beleive that both Jessops & HMV are in trouble and it all to do with the internet............one day there will be a big computer meltdown and everyone will starve as there wont be shops anymore to buy food & stuff from.

btw - I have to admit that I don't generally buy cd's anymore but I was in HMV over xmas to buy dvd's - but then again i have never downloaded anything in my entire life, either music or films !!
  • Options
    My brother in law sends me a £10 HMV volucher for Christmas every year. It always ends up coting me money as I buy some things from HMV that are so expensive that I could have bought them at least £10 cheaper on line anyway. Always made me feel bad paying over the odds for something even though I undrestand why it is so. This years voucher is headed sadly for the bin as, as luck would have it, I found it yesterday when I was tidying up and thought I'd pop to Bluewater later to spend it. Ho Hum. But much sorrier for the poor sods whose jobs will go.
  • Options
    I popped into a branch of HMV just after xmas, it only had a small selection of CDs, most of the stock was DVDs, Blurays and games. There was definitely the smell of decline.

I still buy physical CDs, but online (such as the tax dodging Amazon) is so much more convenient, because of the massive stock they hold, and the number of small suppliers who distribute via the Amazon network. HMV would rarely stock what i wanted anyway.

It's said that the music industry still want a high street presence, so it will be interesting to see what they do.
  • Options
    Are Amazon untouchable?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also went in t-wells hmv at weekend thought it strange as all tablets/ipads/etc gone?
  • Options
    Thankfully used up my gift card on a couple of breaking bad dvds bout a month ago, feel for anyone that can't use theirs!
  • Options

Also went in t-wells hmv at weekend thought it strange as all tablets/ipads/etc gone?

The administrators are selling them on eBay?

;o)

• Options

Looks like my Christmas vouchers are going to be worthless:

ft.com/cms/s/0/c4096aee-5e82-11e2-a771-00144feab49a.html#axzz2HzAdSS4i

People should walk in and take items of the equivalent value if they failed to honour them. Not right that someone's nan has paid £50 to HMV for sweet FA and so morally would feel they are entitled to take £50 worth of merchandise.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If you first offered a voucher .....it would be interesting to see the legal aspect if you did walk out with £50 worth of goods.
    You could argue HMV have already received payment.

Incidentally, a £5, £10, £20 or £50 note is only legally a note to "promise to pay".
    Surely a voucher is also a 'promise to supply', as it has already been paid for?
  • Options
    If vouchers were purchased on a credit card then you can get the funds back, if by cash then you can pretty much say goodbye to the money
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

If you first offered a voucher .....it would be interesting to see the legal aspect if you did walk out with £50 worth of goods.
    You could argue that payment has already been paid.

Incidentally, a £5, £10, £20 or £50 note is only legally a note to "promise to pay".
    Surely a voucher is also a 'promise to supply', as it has already been paid for?

It's a contract, but then so was the agreement to rent the shops which I presume they will not pay now, and to pay staff, who I assume will not get the full redundancy payment they are entitled to. Sadly vouchers are no more worthy than the staff that have worked all over Christmas and may well never get paid for it.

The simple answer (and I've been following this for years now) is to never buy vouchers. They are rarely cheaper than their face value so why not just give cash, or a bank transfer or a cheque if you are giving the 'gift' to someone you are not going to physically see.

I'm not saying that those with vouchers deserve this, far from it, but it would be unfair for the vouchers to be honoured when so many of those that have money owed to them by HMV are going to receive a very small fraction of what they are due.

At some point the law needs to change to hold those responsible for these situations to account. At the very least HMV should have suspended the selling of vouchers before Christmas, but clearly those in charge thought that it might just save them for a little longer. That is where those making the decisions should be punished.
  • Options
    Thank you, KHA.

The law certainly does need to hold people to account.
  • Options

Are Amazon untouchable?

Well, those women were rumoured to be very tall, so maybe difficult to touch :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    "After all, industry figures suggest that £250m a year is wasted because these cards are unused."

Staggering!

NEVER buy a Gift Voucher.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I buy everything from Amazon, cheap and efficient company with great customer service. Sure they will sort out the tax issues in due course. cannot blame them the system is wrong.

Always amazed Blockbuster still going, who rents films from a shop?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I worked for HMV for a while so find this news a bit sad.

In my opinion, if HMV online had a more appealing website for the customer, then business would be a lot more solid. They needed to put their online sales as a top priority to balance the competition with Amazon and Play.

I agree with you. Like Blockbuster, they had a brand that people instantly associated with what they wanted to sell. They just didn't seem to adapt anywhere near quick enough.
  • Options
    Both my son and daughter bought me HMV vouchers for Christmas.I was going to buy something last week,but didn't get there.I feel more sorry for my kids than I do for me.They feel that they haven't bought me anything for Christmas.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Both my son and daughter bought me HMV vouchers for Christmas.I was going to buy something last week,but didn't get there.I feel more sorry for my kids than I do for me.They feel that they haven't bought me anything for Christmas.

Well, they should have put some bloody thought into it shouldn't they. Let them wallow in their guilt ;o)
  • Options
    With HMV shutting, apart from the supermarkets there is nowhere to buy CDs/DVDs in York now. So if I want to browse through physical CDs of genres that I like it means a trip to Leeds. Not that York's HMV ever had any of the music I like in stock.

So online for me for quite some time I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

So if I want to browse through physical CDs of genres .......

That's a posh word for someone OopNorth.

They probably think you're a veggie.

;o)
  • Options

With HMV shutting, apart from the supermarkets there is nowhere to buy CDs/DVDs in York now. So if I want to browse through physical CDs of genres that I like it means a trip to Leeds. Not that York's HMV ever had any of the music I like in stock.

Depending on what you like there are a few decent record shops up in 'ull.

I also know someone who buys/sells a lot of vinyl, again, only useful depending on your taste.
  • Options

Depending on what you like there are a few decent record shops up in 'ull.

I also know someone who buys/sells a lot of vinyl, again, only useful depending on your taste.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

So if I want to browse through physical CDs of genres .......

That's a posh word for someone OopNorth.

They probably think you're a veggie.

;o)
    I'm not your average northerner Oggy ;o)