Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

more trouble at the Dartford Tunnel

just a "heads up" for those wanting to go to dartford or bluewater today - after all the hassel of Monday evening i've Just heard that the Dartford Tunnel is shut again after another accident between j31 & j30 - the queue goes all the way back through the tunnels ( hence why they shut them) to j4

Comments

  • Just come past the other way and the accident is where the 2 seperate tunnels merge on the other side
  • Seems like there's trouble on the roads every day in the Dartford area, it was the same when I lived there a real pain.
  • edited December 2012
    It was solid at the Princes Road roundabout at 7.45 this morning, Newsshopper reporting that roads not expected to reopen until 2pm.
  • 2hrs 15 mins to do 19 miles on Monday.

    please not again.
  • 2hrs to get from Bluewater to the Wharf in Greenhithe on Monday. & I was going to a Wake!
  • Thought I'd dig up an old thread rather than start a new one, but thought I'd share this link
    http://www.stoptheconvoys.com/
  • Although I would like to reduce queuing the solution of getting large vehicles to go the other way round the M25 is just not practical. The extra pollution caused is also a factor as well as cost. Many would head for the Blackwall Tunnel just causing further chaos there.

    I agree it is a problem but another solution needs to be found.

    As an aside can someone explain to me why "oversized" lorries need to be convoyed anyway. I understand re those for hazardous materials but that is only a small proportion.
  • redman said:

    Although I would like to reduce queuing the solution of getting large vehicles to go the other way round the M25 is just not practical. The extra pollution caused is also a factor as well as cost. Many would head for the Blackwall Tunnel just causing further chaos there.

    I agree it is a problem but another solution needs to be found.

    As an aside can someone explain to me why "oversized" lorries need to be convoyed anyway. I understand re those for hazardous materials but that is only a small proportion.

    They should be made to go at night though.

    Oversized I'd guess is because they need to use the tallest but of the tunnel - the middle so woukd take up both lanes. Just a guess.
  • redman said:

    Although I would like to reduce queuing the solution of getting large vehicles to go the other way round the M25 is just not practical. The extra pollution caused is also a factor as well as cost. Many would head for the Blackwall Tunnel just causing further chaos there.

    I agree it is a problem but another solution needs to be found.

    As an aside can someone explain to me why "oversized" lorries need to be convoyed anyway. I understand re those for hazardous materials but that is only a small proportion.

    They should be made to go at night though.

    Oversized I'd guess is because they need to use the tallest but of the tunnel - the middle so woukd take up both lanes. Just a guess.
    Agree with going at night, I believe Paris does something similar.

    Best way forward IMHO would be to have a ban on larger lorries on or within M25 between 7 am and 10 pm. Only work if backed up by on the spot significant fines for breaches.
  • Sponsored links:


  • It doesn't help that they've stopped traffic coming on from Bob Dunn way getting to the right bore. The lorries won't let anyone out (one actually rammed a colleague) That means Bob Dunn Way is snarled. The M25 snarls up Princes Road which, in turn, ruins the whole of Dartford and the one way system.

    When it is bad it costs my business thousands in wasted time getting to and from meetings. I sometimes have to park 200m down the road because the stupid fucking one-way system means it would take me 25 mins to get to my desk if I sit in the traffic round the one way system.

    Dartford doesn't have a lot going for it at the best of times but when it becomes a car park it's horrendous.
  • I agree with night-time running, and then the haulage firms have the choice of long way round if they don't want to wait.

    The new lower Thames crossing will supposedly be designed in such a way that large and hazardous loads can go through unescorted, and will then presumably be banned from the Dartford crossing completely.
  • Night time makes sense but needs further thought. Will need some sort of eating area lorry park somewhere to make possible.
  • redman said:

    Night time makes sense but needs further thought. Will need some sort of eating area lorry park somewhere to make possible.

    Yeah, yeah.....you want a night time lorry park.....for eating.....
  • Fumbluff said:

    redman said:

    Night time makes sense but needs further thought. Will need some sort of eating area lorry park somewhere to make possible.

    Yeah, yeah.....you want a night time lorry park.....for eating.....
    They'll be up in arms about that, they're fussy at the best of times and a dedicated troughing area might lead to some weight gain, tiredness and dangerous driving...
  • redman said:

    Although I would like to reduce queuing the solution of getting large vehicles to go the other way round the M25 is just not practical.

    Sounds suicidally dangerous to me.
Sign In or Register to comment.