Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke Varney misses open goal for Leeds last night...

Comments

• Unbelievable Jeff
  • edited October 2012
  • Not seeing the video - was it as bad as the one against Burnley at The Valley?
  • and there we was slagging Hulse off !
  • Feck me, I missed some sitters in my time in amateur football but never as bad as that!

Harder to score than miss.
  • if you tried to miss on purpose you'd score 99 times out of 100, absolutely awful.
  • And to think we taught him everything he knows about football :-)
  • Remember him missing a complete sitter at QPR
  • JT said:

Remember him missing a complete sitter at QPR

Parky's first match in charge I think?

Came on and sub and somehow blasted over from six yards out in front of us.

Have to say his finishing was probably the worst I have ever seen in CAFC shirt in relation to his ability. ie he was a decent player as compared to some of the rubbish we've seen over the years but in front goal what a headless chicken. Normally blasted high over the goal into the stand like a kid in the park who doesn't listen to his Dad telling him to keep his head down when he shoots!

• Sponsored links:

• Bit of a whipping boy for Leeds fans at the moment from what I've read even before this miss.
  • Not seeing the video - was it as bad as the one against Burnley at The Valley?

I'd say just about worse... although the Burnley chance was definitely more agonising to watch as he took 50 unnecessary touches closer to the open goal before shooting.

• edited October 2012
    Wow. If that was a defender it would be worth posting that on youtube under the tagline "best clearance ever"
  • Sure he missed a few for us too :) still like his work rate tho..
  • the effects of being Charltonised run a long time!
  • Varney has always had the look of a non-league player who has had to rely on his work rate and pace. His finishing has always been shocking and this one was dreadful but not the first time.
  • Love how his teammate tried to kick him for it afterwards.
  • I liked Varney when he was with us, but that miss is shocking.
  • Holy moly that is terrible
  • JT said:

If he had scored that it would have made a massive difference both to us (we would have won that game probably and perhaps gone on a roll) and Varney, as it destroyed what little confidence he had.

• Sponsored links:

• JT said:

If he had scored that it would have made a massive difference both to us (we would have won that game probably and perhaps gone on a roll) and Varney, as it destroyed what little confidence he had.

he was shipped out to Derby a few days after that miss IIRC to fund Pardew's pay-off

• Neil Warnock has hailed striker Luke Varney for shrugging off illness to inspire Leeds to the 3-0 Capital One Cup win over Southampton.

Former Charlton striker Varney, 30, may have missed an open goal, but his performance meant he left the Elland Road pitch on Tuesday to a standing ovation.

"I thought Luke Varney epitomised everything," Warnock told the Leeds official website.

"He missed the tap-in of the century, but for me he was our man of the match.

"He hadn't been very well, he was sick as well at half-time, and it looked like he would come off. I asked him to give me 20 minutes and in the end he gave me 40 minutes.

"It was great from him. And it was great to hear the applause at the end when he came off because he's the one that the fans have picked on here and booed. I was delighted for him.

"Everybody has been aware we've been missing something up front, and I thought Varney showed what we've been missing, running in the channels, and his movement. It was a tremendous performance."