Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ronnie Moore

I saw in another thread of ex-players who are now managers and Ronnie was mentioned.

My dad recently told me that we bought him (stumped up some of the money after the transfer embargo) from Rotherham. Has anyone still got their certificate thanking you for helping to make this purchase?

I wonder how many other teams supporters (post proffesional era) have had to do that?

I have recently finished Lennie Lawrence’s autobiography where there is no mention of this happening, which i find odd. The rest of the book always seems grateful to us the supporters but its just a bit weird that he didn’t mention that. He does mention we were fined 6 grand for defaulting on payments owed to Rotherham on Ronnie’s transfer. A messy bit of business. lucky to not get points deducted.

edit - thanks large for correcting me.

Comments

• never heard of him. However, Ronnie Moore .....
  • Don't remember a certificate, but have a memory of a few people walking around the pitchside with a big sheet held out and fans throwing coins into it.

Did very well for us, although I remember him as Ronnie ;-)
  • I thought I paid a £1 & got a certificate (haven't got it anymore), but may be wrong long time ago!
  • edited October 2012
    Did he get thrown out of "The Clarendon" as the club did not pay his hotel bill? This was at the time when Huyler was still around, so it would not surprise myself.
  • Yes, there was a certificate - should still have mine somewhere.
  • I thought I paid a £1 & got a certificate (haven't got it anymore), but may be wrong long time ago!

I paid £5 of my pocket money.

This. Had mine on my bedroom wall until left home aged 19.

• It was a quid and I have my certificate somewhere.
  • 50p I paid and I got a certificate but for some reason I didn't hold on to it and I've kept newspaper cuttings of charlton chuff for years
  • Chucked a few coppers in a bucket, obviously no certificate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Here's my certificate.
  • thanks for uploading that.
    now i know what I'm looking for as I'm hunting in a few boxes full of football stuff in the attic.

£8,000 was the total the fans put up.
  • My wife still has her certificate.

I get top trumpted at 'proper Charlton' in my own bleeding house :-(
  • thanks for uploading that.
    now i know what I'm looking for as I'm hunting in a few boxes full of football stuff in the attic.

£8,000 was the total the fans put up.

You know where to donate any stuff you don't need ; - )

My wife still has her certificate.

I get top trumpted at 'proper Charlton' in my own bleeding house :-(

Well N. is proper Charlton and you ain't. Simples : - )
  • Thanks Solidgone. I never got one, although I contributed :-(