Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kick it out boycott

A number of black players will be refusing to wear the kick it out tee-shirts this weekend, as they feel the whole kick it out campaign has done nothing to stop rascisim or prevent it in England. The Ferdinand brothers have both said they will not be wearing the shirts this weekend. As we are and were heavilly involved in this campaign what do we think? I can see the players minds you just have to look at John Terry, a 4 game ban for using a racist term towards a fellow player was a complete joke. Jason Brown our ex keeper was on SSN yesterday and he was so angry with the kick it out campaign saying they are in with the FA and just a joke what he said was passionate and bang on "Wearing a tee shirt once a year is a joke". I would not be suprised if we see a few of our players deciding not to back the campaign. Jason Roberts has just added his views and why he and a number of players will not wear them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20003368

Comments

• Options
    I think the anger of everyone should be aimed at the authorities and not those working hard to promote the Kick it Out campaign. I agree it is a 'wear a t-shirt once a year' thing doesn't seem to make much difference especially when it doesn't seem to be supported higher up when racisim has actually been reported.

If a few players not wearing the t-shirts highlights the 'Kick it out' campaign to more people then it would have done some good, but i dont believe they should direct their frustration at something that is hoping to change things within football.

• Options
    Agree with Suzi. I get the frustration with the apathy of the authorities and the ignorance shown by some fans, players and countries, but the anger seems to be directed at the wrong outlet.

FA/FIFA etc are those that need to step up and dish out proportionate action which serves to discourage the behavior.
  • Options
    Admirable as the campaign is, would it really change the minds of those with rascist views. I doubt it.
  • Options
    Don' think Roberts does himself or his campaign any favours. Look at his twitter page, about 90% of his posts are about racism.

I'm not denying that there is a problem of racism in English football, but a few incidents in the last year which the media have jumped on have in my opinion made it seem like a much bigger problem than it is.
    And when you hear the same areas of news come up again and again on almost a daily basis, it does naturally start to get boring to read about.

Look i'm not trying to discredit these causes because they're a good thing, i'm just saying i think many people will stop paying attention to the problem the more its forced down their throats.
    Make note of the bad things in the game, but don't let it always overshadow the good things.
    I mean was 'Roberts wont wear kick it out shirt' really the biggest story in English football yesterday? A matter of opinion i suppose, great news for the media who wanting feeding with another story regarding race issues, not for me it wasn't though.
  • Options
    There's only one way to sort this out. Cole and Terry v Ferdinand and Ferdinand. To the death!
  • Options

I think the anger of everyone should be aimed at the authorities and not those working hard to promote the Kick it Out campaign. I agree it is a 'wear a t-shirt once a year' thing doesn't seem to make much difference especially when it doesn't seem to be supported higher up when racisim has actually been reported.

If a few players not wearing the t-shirts highlights the 'Kick it out' campaign to more people then it would have done some good, but i dont believe they should direct their frustration at something that is hoping to change things within football.

definitely
  • Options
    But somebody who has been watching football as long as I have can testify that a big difference has been made. Recent incidents still shows there is much to do but this is the wrong way to protest - the scheme is and has been a force for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Correct me if I am wrong (I know you will this is Charlton Life after all:-) ) but isn't / wasn't Kick It Out an FA initiative?

As it is the FA that has presided over Terry etc, presumably by protesting about the ineffectiveness of Kick It Out Jason Roberts et al would consider that they are protesting against the FA effectively by their actions in not wearing the tee shirts.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

What the fcuk is Rio Ferdinand moaning about?!?!

He got away with a small fine for calling Ashley Cole a choc ice.

To be correct, Rio Ferdinand didn't call Cole a choc ice.

He retweeted (copied another tweet) with a LOL or some such comment.

I'm not trying to split hairs for the sake of it. Just wanted the correct facts noted.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Correct me if I am wrong (I know you will this is Charlton Life after all:-) ) but isn't / wasn't Kick It Out an FA initiative?

As it is the FA that has presided over Terry etc, presumably by protesting about the ineffectiveness of Kick It Out Jason Roberts et al would consider that they are protesting against the FA effectively by their actions in not wearing the tee shirts.

Yep it is, so the Kick It Out exec's should be going mad at the FA disciplinary team themselves internally! like i said, if a few people don't wear the t-shirt this weekend and get people talking about the campaign, it can only be a good thing as it will raise awareness. The issue now is to punish people appropriately for their actions relating to racisim in a consistent manner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Think the FA & premierleague "sponsor" them to the tune of nearly £500,000 ayear. I think.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    anything rio ferdinand thinks or does i want the complete opposite

• Options
    I actually think this boycott is a good thing for the campaign. All of a sudden, it's become a major talking point, whereas normally this annual event gets passed over without much thought.
  • Options
    I have time and respect for Jason Roberts unlike the likes of Ferdinand and Stan Collymore

Agree with suzi blame the FA
  • Options
    Rio is a racist and thinks that just cause ashley cole is black he should side against terry his mate. Rio=MUG
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited October 2012

A number of black players will be refusing to wear the kick it out tee-shirts this weekend, as they feel the whole kick it out campaign has done nothing to stop rascisim or prevent it in England. The Ferdinand brothers have both said they will not be wearing the shirts this weekend. As we are and were heavilly involved in this campaign what do we think? I can see the players minds you just have to look at John Terry, a 4 game ban for using a racist term towards a fellow player was a complete joke. Jason Brown our ex keeper was on SSN yesterday and he was so angry with the kick it out campaign saying they are in with the FA and just a joke what he said was passionate and bang on "Wearing a tee shirt once a year is a joke". I would not be suprised if we see a few of our players deciding not to back the campaign. Jason Roberts has just added his views and why he and a number of players will not wear them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20003368

I spoke to a Kick it out person a couple of weeks ago and they said that Charlton was not really involved (despite our club maintaining that it was based on our red white and black days) and he said that the club had had very little input. Charlton was one of the only FA league teams that he didn't have a poster for. Although he did say they had been hosted by the directors once this season he was very derogatory about what our club has and does do.
  • Options
    Dont want to wear a tee shirt, fair enough.
    Next...

What does Doreen Lawrence say on the issue?
  • Options
    Maybe he should wear a Luis Suarez shirt instead?
  • Options
    The whole Terry/Ferdinand, Suarez, Kick It Out, handshakes, diving, fair play stuff that keeps getting talked about......It's been inescapable for about a year now.

Does anybody talk about Football in the Premier League anymore???
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    cafctom said:

The whole Terry/Ferdinand, Suarez, Kick It Out, handshakes, diving, fair play stuff that keeps getting talked about......It's been inescapable for about a year now.

Does anybody talk about Football in the Premier League anymore???

THIS .. expect to see Carlisle & Ferdinand R standing for parliament before too long. I suspect that we are in for a few years yet of hectoring and bullshit from two men with vastly over inflated ideas of their own importance and intelligence but both looking for a nice earner after football. There comes a point where enough is enough
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    zzzzzzzzzz we all know racism is wrong and we all know we shouldn't do it. are we allowed to say this subject is boring yet or is that still contraversal?
  • Options
    It's just boring. One highly unintelligent act on Terry's behalf has led to CONSTANT discussion for over a year which has transcended the England team, Twitter, "should we have handshakes anyway?" and all this other crap that has come with it.

Fuc*ing tedious! I've actually stopped caring!
  • Options
    I assume its because there are so many racist incidents happening that Im always seeing Clarke Carlisle on the telly. I dont remember seeing Chris Powell being interviewed once when he was. I might have missed it though. Do remember reading press articles but not on the box.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

It's just boring. One highly unintelligent act on Terry's behalf has led to CONSTANT discussion for over a year which has transcended the England team, Twitter, "should we have handshakes anyway?" and all this other crap that has come with it.

Fuc*ing tedious! I've actually stopped caring!

"constant"? Really?
  • Options
    constant craving
  • Options
    I think that if a body of people start to not represent or take forward the views of those it is supposedly working in recognition of then it is time for those to break away

The kick it out campaign has IMO begun to sound like the fa as has the PFA and for me that is a sad thing

The PFA if serious about racism should have used the kick it out campaign to clean up the English game first and sell that vision to the world

The PFA on the last 2 high profile cases could have and should have

Been the body that looked into and investigated then led the disciplinary proceedings against its members involved that could have and should have helped the fa to conduct their affairs

Removed PFA membership from both players

Asked its membership to come out and condone the behaviour of its fellow members

The kick it out campaign when this strong stance did not take place should have condemned the PFA and made its own stance against them stating that it felt more let down by the PFA

And started its own players union that was inclusive of all footballers not just black ones which I believe there is movement for a black players union will do more damage to this issue than solve it
  • Options
    edited October 2012

SE10 said:

What the fcuk is Rio Ferdinand moaning about?!?!

He got away with a small fine for calling Ashley Cole a choc ice.

To be correct, Rio Ferdinand didn't call Cole a choc ice.

He retweeted (copied another tweet) with a LOL or some such comment.

I'm not trying to split hairs for the sake of it. Just wanted the correct facts noted.
    The problem is "retweeting" in this generation is as good as saying. If you "retweet" something, unless you are doing it in a manner obviously to criticise its content or emphasise its outrageous/abusive nature, you are essentially repeating it and agreeing with it. Writing "LOL" whilst retweeting only reinforces this. There is absolutely no doubt that that comment had racial undertones and was not because he was calling Ashley a "liar" or whatever crap excuse Anton came out with

• Options
    I don't like Jason Roberts. I get the impression he wants racist incidents to happen so that he can talk about it. A bit like the way Blackburn fans wanted to lose so they could hate on Steve Kean.

Surely if someone wants equality they wohldn't talk about racism every time they open their mouth. He is only doing this latest stunt for attention. If he really wanted equality he would be encouraging the kick it out campaign.
  • Options

I don't like Jason Roberts. I get the impression he wants racist incidents to happen so that he can talk about it. A bit like the way Blackburn fans wanted to lose so they could hate on Steve Kean.

Surely if someone wants equality they wohldn't talk about racism every time they open their mouth. He is only doing this latest stunt for attention. If he really wanted equality he would be encouraging the kick it out campaign.

Glad you've said that mate, because i think a lot of people quietly agree with you.

Roberts on twitter was absolutely gutted when the courts found JT not guilty. Him and a load of others, despite no-one knowing in what context Terrys words were said other that Terry himself, seemed desperate for our national captain to be found racist in the eyes of the law.

Roberts, Collymore, Carlisle etc I think everyone would be grateful if they highlight problems with racism in football, but like many have said they're making it boring news because its all they seem to go on about, its like they're happy to go out their way to promote the idea that racism is the biggest issue in the game.