Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Strauss to quit as England captain?

2»

Comments

• Options

Trott to become Cook's opening partner ?

Makes sense, especially as Bell's best position is arguably No. 3, and this would then allow that. Just makes the ongoing number 6 question harder as you have to fill 5 as well. Bairstow and Taylor need time. I'm sure the selectors would love Bopara in there, as he fills a bowling spot too, but he just doesn't seem to do it at test level (West Indies being the exception, and he was bizarrely dropped after that tour).

• Options
    Wondering if instead of bringing in another batsman they could simply move Prior to 6 and add a bowler
    Prior, Swann amd Bresnan can all bat to a decent standard can't they ?
  • Options
    hmmm... Bopara played in the Ashes after that and struggled. I love him but don't think he's test quality. We seem to have better bowlers in the wings than batters. with Strauss and Pietersen out of the equation , we need more south africans and fast. Recall Tony Greig?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

hmmm... Bopara played in the Ashes after that and struggled. I love him but don't think he's test quality. We seem to have better bowlers in the wings than batters. with Strauss and Pietersen out of the equation , we need more south africans and fast. Recall Tony Greig?

Can't KP just claim his mobile was stolen ....
  • Options
    Going into politics as a Cameron chum, I suspect. Last year he donated a prize to a Tory fund-raising raffle in which the highest-bidder got to play a round of golf with him. Someone paid £25,000 for the honour, which works out at £1,388 per hole.

There's even a rumour that he could be the Tory candidate in the Corby by-election,following Louise Mensch's resignation.
  • Options
    Sometimes you have to just stick with a player if you know he is good enough. Bopara is definitely good enough.
  • Options

Sometimes you have to just stick with a player if you know he is good enough. Bopara is definitely good enough.

You're talking about Essex right?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

You're talking about Essex right?
    Essex 2nd XI I think
  • Options
    Bopara = Lisbie

Shouldnt be anywhere near the England team ever again.
  • Options
    Bopara is a rare case of being treated shockingly by the england management. Never given time to settle in a particular area of the team like other players and was constantly used as a stop gap. No wonder his confidence is shot to pieces
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    what were his "personal issues" ?
  • Options
    Joe Root,Bairstow, Taylor are promising players.With the Pietersen saga and Strauss retiring we are severely weakened in the batting department.Bopara has been given a number of chances at Test level but he is very inconsistent.It is time to blood the likes of Root,Bairstow and Taylor in the NewZealand series to see how they go.My England team would be:

Root,Cook,Trott,Bairstow,Bell,Taylor,Prior,Broad,Swann,Anderson,Finn.

We need to let the new boys get some experience against a weaker bowling attack before the Ashes.
  • Options
    Not sure we can go with a top 6 that can't bowl
    Most of the other decent teams have an all rounder in there somewhere
  • Options

Going into politics as a Cameron chum, I suspect. Last year he donated a prize to a Tory fund-raising raffle in which the highest-bidder got to play a round of golf with him. Someone paid £25,000 for the honour, which works out at £1,388 per hole.

There's even a rumour that he could be the Tory candidate in the Corby by-election,following Louise Mensch's resignation.

Okay, you don't need to spoil everything.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Probably my favourite catch of all time.
  • Options
    I think its the right decision, although sad to see him go as he seems a nice bloke. Bit worried about the batting line up though, think Morgan will be given another try with Trott to open. Can't see Root getting a game at the moment. Be something like this I would imagine:
    Cook, Trott, Bell, Bopara, Bairstow, Morgan, Prior, Broad, Swann, Finn, Anderson
  • Options
    Not sure who we could play as an all rounder... The likes of Woakes bresnan broad and swann can all bat, so maybe we could play an extra bowler?
  • Options

what were his "personal issues" ?

He finally realised that he was shit !
  • Options
    I still wouldnt rule out KP coming back!

If so i would go
    Cook Trott Bell KP Taylor Bairstow Prior Broad Swann Anderson Finn

Bell is a number 3, thats his Favorite position, and i think he is experienced enough now to go up there and do the business.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

colthe3rd said:

Probably my favourite catch of all time.
    same! I remember freddie, who celebrated every wicket he took that series like he won the world cup, just looked bewildered and speechless that strauss had actually held on to it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't wait for an ashes tour down here in Oz with a captain 'Cook'!

Can't say enough good things about Strauss, all of that team gave me one of the best sporting occassions of my life. The MCG in 2010 was a brilliant 5 day's, especially after the convict's had won the Perth test the previous week.
  • Options

Strauss would be daft to go into politics at this stage of his life, he has only just got off the cricket treadmill so to go straight into a similar life in politics would be madness.

Plus the fact that 'celebrity' candidates are almost always a disaster wherever they are tried, the party wants them to add a bit of spice and get some good PR but they very rarely want to give them any actual power.

Strauss has not done any of the hard yards that other Tory MP's have done, if he came into parliament he would be resented by many if Cameron started giving him plum jobs because he would be seen to be stepping on a lot of people's toes who had been there a lot longer than him.

If I were Strauss I would decline any invitation to join parliament - especially in Corby where the Tories are going to lose anyway - and go and do something else for a couple of years and earn my place in parliament the proper way.

Look at the train wreck of Louise Mensch's career to see how being parachuted into a seat can turn out.
  • Options
    The Conservatives would never select Strauss for Corby - that is a marginal seat with the Conservatives winning it in 2010 by less than 2000 votes and that was on a bad-night for Labour. Two years on and with the Lib-Dem vote in terminal decline they are going to need an experienced and credible person to run, not the ex-England cricket captain.
  • Options
    Perhaps Brian Close should come out of retirement to open up with Cookie.
  • Options
    Bell looked pretty ordinary at first but England stuck with him and are reaping the rewards -you could even argue that Cook was supported- Bopara has the talent and needs a bit of faith.
  • Options
    No doubt england have lost their way in the last year. Whatever benefits strauss has brought as captain during that period have been negated by his lack of runs. Its the right time to freshen the team up a little. I think cook will make a decent captain the only real issue is whether the responsibilities of the role impact on the runs he scores.
  • Options
    Strauss for PM