Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Pietersen - Biggest Tosser in British Sport?

Comments

• Options
    The over-lapping tours is only a problem with centrally contracted players because we need to play seven Tests a season and a certain quantity of ODIs and T20 internationals to generate the cash to pay for the contracts and by and large it works. Attendances and TV revenue/sponsorship are healthy and profitable and that has had a positive spin-off feeding more money through to the County teams which they desperately need. Kent for example would have registered a thumping loss last season but for ECB money. But not every England CC'd player is an IPL target, only KP and a few others - Bresnan, Bopara, Broad, maybe Prior and Anderson could play IPL/T20 cricket successfully. Graeme Swann entered the auction but there were no takers, although that might have been because he priced himself out of the market and there were plenty of spinners with sub-continent bowling experience on offer.
  • Options
    During the last IPL we toured Sri Lanka and the Aussies toured the Windies, all of whom contained plenty of players the IPL would have wanted for the whole tournament.
  • Options

Graeme Swann entered the auction but there were no takers,

as did anderson, bell & prior.
  • Options
    His make up contributes to his genius and madness in the field for sure, but I'm happy when I get the ocassional chance to spend a few hard earned £s on seeing him play and if you catch a good day, it's great stuff. Will be a shame if he feels compelled or is forced to exit the England test squad, as he offers something exciting and unpredictable to this England team. Admittedly, unlikely to be a shared view for purists.
  • Options
    He has just gone through 7,000 test runs for England and is on the verge of overtaking some legendary batters (Atherton, Hammond and Cowdrey are within reach). It will be a shame if we don't see that happen, for what appear to be his own selfish reasons. It's also a shame that he has made this statement at a time when our heads have been turned away from overpaid and often badly behaved sports stars. We've suddenly got a completely new set of heroes and heroines! Having said that, I hope KP bites his tongue and carries on his England career because he is a joy to watch.
  • Options
    he's been left out of the squad for the test series in India
  • Options
    Good
  • Options
    Shame. Best Batsman England have. ECB should have resolved the differences and brought him back on board. Will be sorely missed, as is the only English batsman who would make it into the Indian team on merit- and the only one who can genuinely play Spin on Sub-continental pitches (as long as its not left-hand Spin of course !).
    A big shame, we will def lose the Test series now v India.
    Leaves Batting very short on experience now with likely turnout of
    Cook,Root,Trott,Bell,Morgan,Bairstow
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Will be sorely missed, as is the only English batsman who would make it into the Indian team on merit

The same Indian Team that we demolished 4 - 0 in tests last summer when they didn't get a score over 300. Who have Suresh Raina who has a Test average of 28, Cheteshwar Pujara who has only played 5 tests, Gautam Gambhir who has not really scored any runs in ages, and an aging Tendulkar and Sehwag who appear to be a tad inconstant these days?

I think out of the current teams a line up would probably look something like this:

Cook
    Sehwag
    Trott
    Bell
    Tendulkar
    Kohli
    Prior

• Options

Shame. Best Batsman England have. ECB should have resolved the differences and brought him back on board. Will be sorely missed, as is the only English batsman who would make it into the Indian team on merit- and the only one who can genuinely play Spin on Sub-continental pitches (as long as its not left-hand Spin of course !).
    A big shame, we will def lose the Test series now v India.
    Leaves Batting very short on experience now with likely turnout of
    Cook,Root,Trott,Bell,Morgan,Bairstow

Glad KP isn't in there, he doesn't give a toss about the team and by all the noises coming out of he England team they are quite happy to see the back of him. Agreed, he is a very talented batsmen. But to say the rest of ou team wouldn't get into India's is just wrong. As for he short on experience, Cook and Bell both played 80 tests and Trott 34. As player's lose form or retire then yes at times some players will play who havent had experience that's just natural progression. I fell that squad has a good balance to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah , sorry, i should have qualified my judgement. KP, in my opinion, is the only England batsman who would play for India in the 1 day games. However, i believe that probably Cook, and possibly Trott and Bell would make it into their Test team. Tendulkar cant be far away from calling it a day, they have also lost Laxman,Ganguly and Dravid in the past 2 years - thats quite a loss.
    Would have liked Briggs instead of Panesar, but maybe the selectors thought there were too many newbies coming along anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    He's a bloody South African ffs. Should never have played for England. Forget about him. Move on.
  • Options

He's a bloody South African ffs. Should never have played for England. Forget about him. Move on.

He still thinks he's going to play for England again. His arrogance has no boundaries.
  • Options
    Sounds like he went to the same crying acting school as Oscar.
  • Options
    "When they sacked me they never gave me any reasons. I still don't know right now why I'm not playing for England."

It's because you're an arsehole and no one wants to play on a team with you, Kevin.
  • Options

Agree 100%

If we are unable to produce enough English players good enough to compete then we should just be putting out a crap, but English team.

The same goes for the other national sports teams.

The fact that other nations do it is no excuse either in my opinion.
  • Options
    Bloke is a complete tosser - apparently when the England team were sponsored by Jaguar, all centrally contracted players (inc KP) were given a top of the range car as part of the deal. The ECB arranged a photo call at the Oval, where all players would be photographed with their Jags - all the players bar one (KP) complied - he turned up in his BMW............
  • Options
    Sounds like Tremlett is backing him up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So I know next no nothing about Cricket, but whenever this bloke's name comes up on Sky Sports News I've become accustomed to hearing some whinging from him about how hard done by he is.
  • Options
    It's really the nationality by residency that I have issue with.

You should not be able to be picked by a nation just because you have lived there for x years.

Surely you should have some 'sensible' ancestral link to the nation that you represent?!?

• Options
    His mum is English, he's probably got more link to England than quite a few on AA's list from above.
  • Options

Agree 100%

If we are unable to produce enough English players good enough to compete then we should just be putting out a crap, but English team.

The same goes for the other national sports teams.

The fact that other nations do it is no excuse either in my opinion.
    Does that mean that none of the following shouldn't have been allowed to play for England because they weren't born here? Or do you draw the line somewhere?

Adam Hollioake
    Albert Trott
    Allan Lamb
    Amjad Khan
    Andrew Strauss
    Basil D'Olivera
    Ben Hollioake
    Ben Stokes
    Billy Murdoch
    Bob Woolmer
    Boyd Rankin
    Chris Jordan
    Chris Lewis
    Colin Cowdrey
    Craig Kieswetter
    Derek Pringle
    Dermot Reeve
    Devon Malcolm
    Donald Carr
    Douglas Jardine
    Edward Wynyard
    Eoin Morgan
    Errol Holmes
    Freddie Brown
    Gary Ballance
    Gavin Hamilton
    George Emmett
    Geraint Jones
    Gladstone Small
    Graeme Hick
    Gubby Allen,
    Ian Greig
    Jade Dernbach
    Jason Gallian
    John Ferris
    Jonathan Trott
    K.S. Duleepsinhji (‘Duleep’)
    KP
    Lord Harris
    Matt Prior
    Michael Lumb
    Minal Patel
    Nasser Hussain
    Nawab of Pataudi
    Neil Radford
    Neil Williams
    Neville Tufnell
    Nick Compton
    Norman Cowans
    Norman Mitchell-Innes
    Owais Shah
    Paul Parker
    Paul Terry
    Pelham Warner
    Phil Edmonds
    Phillip DeFreitas
    Ranjitsinhji
    Richard Young
    Robin Jackman
    Robin Smith
    Roland Butcher
    Sam Robson
    Sammy Woods
    Ted Dexter
    Tim Ambrose
    Tony Greig
    Usman Afzaal
    Wilf Slack

That's 68 players in all (and I might have missed a few too) who have played for England and weren't born here.
    Train spotter ;-)
  • Options
    It honestly wouldn't surprise me if there was a bullying culture within the England team, at the moment it very much is a boys club. However, KP really needs to take a look at himself, from the extracts I've read he doesn't do himself any favours. Over the text scandal to the South Africans, he says sorry but then goes on to whinge how it wasn't his fault as he was being made fun of by a parody twitter account, allegedly by someone in the dressing room. Boo hoo, poor Kev.
  • Options
    The Big Cheese cracked me up.
  • Options
    anyone else picked up he said about Andy Flower "He had it in for me ever since I tried to get rid of him". No shit sherlock!!

I do however agree with him regarding the having a go at fielders for making any mistake in the field and making them apologise. That's absolutely toxic and is not an enjoyable environment to play sport in.
  • Options

anyone else picked up he said about Andy Flower "He had it in for me ever since I tried to get rid of him". No shit sherlock!!

I do however agree with him regarding the having a go at fielders for making any mistake in the field and making them apologise. That's absolutely toxic and is not an enjoyable environment to play sport in.

This is probably the only thing I do agree with KP on. Too many times Swann, Anderson & Broad do it.

Having said that, it does sit rather comfortably with KP as he rarely had to bowl. And he loved to integrate the new recruits because he saw it as a way of building his own little "team". What he then said about those youngsters behind their backs might be another thing.
  • Options
    Utter bellend of a bloke.

Do agree with him that bowlers shouldn't behave like that to their fielders, but apart from that think he's a complete idiot.
  • Options
    He's now on Five Live, and flat down refusing to say exactly what he said to the South Africans, claiming he doesn't remember messages he sends. Absolute rubbish.