Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Olympic Threads

Comments

• Options
    Bloody hell lighten up people. Yes it may be a little inconvenient for most of us, but it is the greatest sports event on the planet and it is right on our doorstep. If something like this doesn't excite you then what on earth does (apart from moaning)? You may say you don't care about half the sports on show but I guarantee you will find a new found interest in at least a couple of sports over the next few weeks. Just look at the boom cycling has had in the last couple of weeks because of British success, and that;s before the Olympics has even kicked off.
    On top of the incredible sporting spectacle we are about to witness, there will be numerous occasions to feel genuinely proud to be British. We have genuine medal chances in many more events than previous years, and there is the chance to show the world that we really know how to put on a show.

It might mean you get a few extra people next to you on the tube in the mornings for 2 weeks, but I can assure you that if you stop being grumpy and just enjoy the whole thing there will be some incredible memories to take out of it.
  • Options
    Really hope Cheryl Cole is not singing at the opening ceremony!
  • Options
    I truly despair at some of the comments on this thread. I'm off again before I start calling people offensive names and get myself banned.

Enjoy the games everyone. I know I will, despite the personal inconvenience it will undoubtedly cause me on my daily journey from New Eltham to Baker Street via LB every day.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I truly despair at some of the comments on this thread. I'm off again before I start calling people offensive names and get myself banned.

Enjoy the games everyone. I know I will, despite the personal inconvenience it will undoubtedly cause me on my daily journey from New Eltham to Baker Street via LB every day.

You got any tickets D?

• Options

Bloody hell lighten up people. Yes it may be a little inconvenient for most of us, but it is the greatest sports event on the planet and it is right on our doorstep. If something like this doesn't excite you then what on earth does (apart from moaning)? You may say you don't care about half the sports on show but I guarantee you will find a new found interest in at least a couple of sports over the next few weeks. Just look at the boom cycling has had in the last couple of weeks because of British success, and that;s before the Olympics has even kicked off.
    On top of the incredible sporting spectacle we are about to witness, there will be numerous occasions to feel genuinely proud to be British. We have genuine medal chances in many more events than previous years, and there is the chance to show the world that we really know how to put on a show.

It might mean you get a few extra people next to you on the tube in the mornings for 2 weeks, but I can assure you that if you stop being grumpy and just enjoy the whole thing there will be some incredible memories to take out of it.

Well said that man!
  • Options
    Careful everyone, GH will be calling you all lefties* soon

*GH's definition: a leftie is someone who doesn't subscribe to the same views I do therefore that renders them an idiot
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

In 1948, just 3 years after a World War, we hosted the Olympics without either impNrisoning ordinary Londoners in their own homes and banning visitors to the area or threatening them with draconian fines for having the temerity to exercise the human right of freedom of movement.

My late father was able to get tickets to watch most of the athletics as an ordinary working man in 1948 at an affordable price.

My sister will be imprisoned in her home because of the cycling in 2012.

Why, after more than 60 years of "progress," is this thing such a bloody shambles?

Sorry Len but Nobody had cars back then so not an issue. Likewise we didn't get an influx of visitors from all over the world to watch the games like we have now. Not really fair to compare the two events I don't think.

6 years of war didn't take its toll on the infrastructure of the country then?

I accept that the problems in 2012 are different to those of 1948 but they are no bigger and in 1948 were solved without sacrifice by the native population.

Len, SHG answered your point. A tiny number of overseas visitors and hardly any cars, you can add to that a lot less people commuting. Also, I dont think that anyone is actually going to be slaughtered on the altar, they just might be a bit late for work? Sorry old chap, but the comparison is not valid.

• Options
    Some serious drama queens on this therad, imprisoned in a home??? jesus.
  • Options
    I think hosting the Olympics in 2012 is a slightly different proposition than in 1948, but I'm sure you know that.
  • Options
    Over the next few weeks the world will see why London is the greatest place on earth. Never has everything looked so great and I think we should congratulate everyone involved. Money has been spent in what are very difficult times, but these games will give us all a warm feeling. For those of us who live/commute and work in London there is some inconveniences, but nothing we can't live with. Be proud to be a Londoner, be proud to be British, be proud to be part of the greatest show on earth. Stop the negativity, your about to watch the best games in history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    would much rather we had the world cup
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm really looking forward to watching it all on TV. We have wall to wall TV coverage out here with about 20 different channels all providing 24/7 coverage.

I'd also like to wish the best of luck to Casey Stoney who captains the Team GB ladies football team against New Zealand tonight, in the opening event of the games. For those who don't know, Casey was captain of the very successful Charlton ladies team for 5 years until it was disbanded in 2007, following the men's team relegation from the Premier League. Good luck Casey.
  • Options

this

• Options

this

This, again!

The Olympics leave me cold, that and the obscene amount its cost our country is ridiculous, 22million just for the opening ceremony?? but that's just my opinion,
    That said I hope everyone on here who has tickets has a great time with minimal travel disruption.
  • Options
    as far as the travel goes, Southeastern have been consistently shocking for 8 years now, the good thing with the Olympics it really puts the spotlight on them, big time. If they make a total cock-up that is their franchise gone, and that can only be a good thing!

Luckily, I broke my foot and and spending the next few weeks at home, so a blessing in disguise!
  • Options
    went into work earlier today no issues that i could see around Blackheath area. wife left right in the middle of what should be the mega busy time and she said traffic was very light. Looks like people have taken advice and avoided the area.
  • Options
    13% less traffic than on a normal day.
  • Options
    Len G = Mood Hoover.

• Options

Some serious drama queens on this therad, imprisoned in a home??? jesus.

Ok, you teach English as a foreign language so what word would you use to describe a situation whereby your road is closed to vehicles in or out and you are disabled?

I got English "O" level in the sixties and imprisoned was the one that came to mind.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Boom said:

Len G = Mood Hoover.

No, just not as positive as some on here about the Olympics because of the disruption caused to the lives of ordinary people who don't have a cat in hells chance of attending an event they'd actually want to see live.

That is before we even think to mention the better use of resources in a time of austerity. I'd rather people didn't die of thirst in NHS hospitals for example because of "lack of resources" rather than finance a vanity project for the Great and the Good.

Just my opinion.

Despite the best efforts of our political elite this is still, in theory at least, a free country so I will voice it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ive just been over to Tower Bridge area from Bank area, roads are very light i thought so far and my train this morning was 10 carriages long! yes 10 carriages long!

And if they pull them back to 6 after the olympics then Im going to bitch and whinge about Southeastern as much as poss.

Cant wait.

And I just watched that David Beckham video for the 3rd time and started having a little tear again at him with the young lad.
  • Options
    Really looking forward to the Olympics and I think they've done a great job, particualrly with the legacy - turning a horrible, stinking pulluted industrial wasteland into a beautiful park with thousands of new homes.

Of course the people who are relentlessly negative about everything in this coutry are going to moan. What does anyone expect.
  • Options
    You can off course voice it Len. You don't arf make yourself sound silly though.

Very interesting article from an athletes perspective, recommended reading

http://stuffplacesandthings.tumblr.com/post/27972950987/olympics
  • Options
    Sound silly? Makes himself sound an absolute nutter!
  • Options
    Bully
  • Options
    Len, who is it that is imprisoned in their home ?
  • Options
    back to the olympics, who is lighting the stadium flame?

someone told me Mohammed Ali...surely not?
  • Options
    i hope it isnt Ali it was sad as f++k to see the great man as he is at mo.

Warning re parking off shootersHill signs went up today (100z of em) " Tow away zone 7AM--7PM).
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Bully

Just voicing his opinion Len> I thought that was what forums were for - especially in a free country.