Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Players ever seen at a live match

Enough of the cack players on other threads. How about the best players you have ever seen, in the flesh, so to speak. Mine:

Maradona - very young, for Argentina v England at Wembley 1978
Karl Heinz Rumenigge - W Germany
George Best - even pissed, fat and at Fulham, a class apart
Bobby Moore - as above
Socrates and Zico for Brazil
Ruud Gullitt - for Netherlands v England at Wembley
Ryan Giggs - best ever performance against us at the Valley, in the 3-3 draw
Rodney Marsh - wanker, but a very talented wanker, for QPR at the Valley

Comments

• Options
    Agree with Rodney Marsh in that cup game at the Valley.
    I also remember Charlton verses Japp Stam one time at the Valley
  • Options

Figo, Zidane & Ronaldo (Brazil) for Real Madrid
    Buffon & Del Piero for Juve
    Maldini, Pirlo & Shevchenko for AC Milan
    plus usual suspects from EPL
  • Options
    Ronaldo and Henry come to mind.
  • Options
    Ronaldo, scholes, Giggs, Henry, Bergkamp, Schmichael, Bale.
  • Options
    Can't beat the 1st post. Gana be the premierleague years Henry, Rooney, giggs, ronaldo, scholes, gerrard. Just big name players that I have seen charlton play against.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I saw Brazil V Argentina at the emirates ages ago but Kaka was world class. He ran the ball the whole length of the pitch, beating 3-5 players and smacked it in from the edge of the box.

But then again I saw Barca V R.Madrid at the Nou camp last year so I've probably seen the best world 11 in the world at the moment.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I am not sure whether these come under best players OR best performances but these pop into my mind:-
    Ryan Giggs the day he scored after hitting the crossbar and was absolutely superb.
    Paul Parker one night at Selhurst when it seemed to be us against him.
    Earl Barrett again at Selhurst on a night we needed to get a result against Oldham and he just
    seemed to be everywhere.
    Clive Mendonca playing for Grimsby when they I think beat us 3-1and caught the eye, and I
    was so pleased a few years later when we bought him.
    Thierry Henry (who always seemed to really want to beat us for some reason), superb pace.
    Micky Quinn???!!! who amazingly and memorably tore us apart one day in Portsmouth.
    Nicky Johns I recall one game (no idea which), where he just was amazing and seemed totally
    unbeatable and the only reason we werent stuffed.

I know some of these are a bit iffy but they just stood out as individual performances that changed games.
  • Options
    Best I've seen is Christiano Ronaldo when he had just joined United. Think it was his 4th game for them and he seemed to absolutely destroy Kishishev everytime he got the ball.

Footwork was unreal.
  • Options
    Ronnie Rosenthal at Shithouse....cant remember if he got 3 or 4 against us in a 4-0 defeat, but every time he got the ball it looked like he would score.

Going way way back Ron Yeates for Tranmere.....the other ten didnt matter, it was us against him.

Andrea Konchelskis in the cup game...second half sublime.
  • Options
    Ronaldo and Henry snm
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    George Best, he had the lot could even put it about if the game got nasty.
  • Options
    Alan Simmonsen

Robert Lee (could always see he was gonna be class)

Mark Reid and Colin Pates

Zola-Magnificent player

Jim Melrose (of course!)-Kept us up single-handedly one season
  • Options
    Shearer, Henry, & Klinsman - I hate the gits - but they did what they were paid for so very well.
    Gascoigne, Keegan, Giggs and Hoddle.
    Rush & Fowler
  • Options
    Van Persie, just for that wonderstrike against Arsenal at the Valley alone.
    Also saw Messi play some school kids in Bricklane but not sure that counts
  • Options
    Paolo Di Canio vs Chelsea Boxing Day 2003.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Cantona , giggs , gazza and surprisingly stan collymore for me ( sc destroyed us single handidly at forest a few years back )
  • Options
    Ginola For Spurs
  • Options
    Thierry Henry
  • Options
    Cronaldo at the Valley the season after the winking incident was probably the best.

Also Maldini for Italy in Euro 96, Sammer for Germany (same), Del Piero (Juve Man U) Henry (various dismantlings)
  • Options
    1. Gazza
    2. Cantona
    3. Paul Walsh (Under estimated)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    George Best at West Ham 1967....sublime
  • Options
    I've seen Pele play. Admitedly I was a nipper so don't remember much and it was some sort of charity match back in the 70's. Beat that though!
  • Options
    Stanley Matthews at The Valley.
  • Options
    damien duff for chelsea at the valley one year tore us apart....
  • Options
    Excluding all the foreign players, I once went to Villa v QPR in the 90s and could not believe how well Les Ferdinand played. He was absolutely awesome that day.
  • Options
    Gerrard against us in the last(?) prem season, I think they beat us 4-0, he was completely unplayable. Henry countless times, Ronaldo, Giggs, oh and Dempsey in the fa cup last season!

Away from charlton, watched madrid with the galacticos, ronaldo gaucho, zidane etc. Unreal!
  • Options
    I saw Villa, Ardiles and Hoddle play together a few times - sheer class
  • Options
    For one man show kind of performances:
    Dick Tydeman playing for Gillingham one night at the Valley. We signed him soon after.
    Nicky Johns as mentioned above v Chelsea??
    Allan Simonsen.
    Tony Currie.
    Rodney Marsh.
    Kanchelskis FA cup quarter final second half
  • Options
    Nicky Johns at Plymouth in 1981 Cup third round tops the lot. The wind was so strong that a goal kick went out for a throw in 10 yards from his own corner flag in that first half. Still smile thinking about Killers last minute winner. Daylight robbery - David Kemp but for Johns would have had 6 by half time.
  • Options
    Good call on Tony Currie, Queensland. I remember him paying against us for Sheffield United in an evening match at the Valley sometime in the late 60s. Superb player and a fabulous match - finished 4-3 to us, if I remember correctly, and one of those magical Valley nights.