Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spot Fixing in Football

Following the spot fixing scandal in cricket it seems FIFA will investigate Claus Lundekvam's claims that he and other players were involved in fixing the outcome of certain betting markets. Not really a new thing, Le Tissier admitted a while ago he used to do it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/11/claus-lundekvam-spot-fixing-fifa?newsfeed=true

So, is this harmless? A few blokes betting on a sure thing? or should something be done about it? Some of the examples he gives could affect the way a match turns out. Personally I've always felt that football isn't as squeaky clean as other sports that some would like everyone to believe and it really wouldn't surprise me if match fixing is quite common.

Comments

• Options
    Match fixing would be to difficult. Too many people would need to be involved.

Spot fixing is a different matter.

When did online betting start?

Was there betting on throw-ins, corners etc before online betting?
  • Options
    Bets on what team got the first throw in I believe
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Have to be subtle about it, and careful you don’t miss your chance. Be a bit suspicious if a player straight after the kick off boots the ball for a throw in.
  • Options
    How many times did you used to see a kick off and some one hammer the ball of the park straight away??
  • Options
    never....but if it did it would be pretty suspicious.

though it does happen quite alot in rugby. especially after 80 miniutes.
  • Options
    How many times did you used to see a kick off and some one hammer the ball of the park straight away??
    I remember seeing it, although I couldn't tell you which game.
  • Options
    It was a few seasons ago it seemed rife to me but I never really thought about it until I started betting on line and saw the in play markets.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Have to be subtle about it, and careful you don’t miss your chance. Be a bit suspicious if a player straight after the kick off boots the ball for a throw in.
    Isn't this exactly what Le Tissier admited to doing a few years back? In fact it's the same story rehashed from Lundekvam's point of view. Maybe he's got a book out now too as Le Tiss' did.

Basically, it's still very, very wrong.
  • Options
    Yeah it happens, generally when teams line uproar attack from the off-or so I thought...
  • Options
    The ball was kicked into touch in a West Ham game as the time of the 1st throw in was sold at x amount of mins.That market was taken down by the spread betting firms many years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dean Kiely was a fan of spot fixing.
  • Options
    I remember a game at West Ham, when the ball went out of play after 9 secs with them taking centre. ;-0)
  • Options
    The ball goes out of play quite often from the kick-off, usually with a midfielder or centre-half hittting a long diagonal ball looking for their winger.
  • Options
    Charlton done a long diagonal ball straight from kick off which went out of play 9 times out of 10 when we were in prem.