Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is this one of the greatest races ever run?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EmFVDxd8rA

The Jamaica 100m Olympic trial final. Yohan Blake beats Usain Bolt in a time of 9.75. Four ran under ten seconds and Michael Frater failed to qualify in fourth with a time of 9.94. Could be the greatest 100m Olympic final in history.

Comments

• Options
    Makes a mockery of the GB qualifying time for the same event doesn't it. Stupidly fast.
  • Options
    Quite liked the race for 2nd in L1 this year tbh.
  • Options
    A good mate of mine works on the stats for British Athletics and they have made comparisons between times over the years. We all know the one about Roger Bannister still being in the back straight if his sub four minute mile was matched against today's fastest times.

But me mate swears that if Alan Wells, the British gold medallist from 1980, was matched time to time with Usain Bolt over the 100 metres and then they were both placed in a 'virtual' replica of the new 2012 Olympic Stadium, he reckons as Bolt dips for the line, Wells is only just coming out of the Gents next to the Athletes Only Entrance.

Frightening.
  • Options
    Why on earth did they even bother!
  • Options
    A good mate of mine works on the stats for British Athletics and they have made comparisons between times over the years. We all know the one about Roger Bannister still being in the back straight if his sub four minute mile was matched against today's fastest times.

But me mate swears that if Alan Wells, the British gold medallist from 1980, was matched time to time with Usain Bolt over the 100 metres and then they were both placed in a 'virtual' replica of the new 2012 Olympic Stadium, he reckons as Bolt dips for the line, Wells is only just coming out of the Gents next to the Athletes Only Entrance.

Frightening.
    Frightening but true! I can't think of a single event that has been totally transformed as much over that period.
  • Options
    No, this is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpjigCffIX8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Humiliating? Far from it.

True Olympic spirit - good luck to the lad.

• Options

Frightening.
    ...but brilliant. Absolutely brilliant, LM.

#tips hat, sets off out happy with a belly laugh for lunch
  • Options

Frightening but true! I can't think of a single event that has been totally transformed as much over that period.
    Mate, it gets worse! The boffins at British Athletics took Brendan Foster's time when he won bronze in the 10,000 metres in 1976 and matched that against Kenenisa Bekele's winning time from Beijing 2008. Using the exact same parameters, as Bekele raises his arms in triumph in the 2012 Olympic Stadium, Foster is buying petrol at an Esso garage in Tower Hamlets.

I love these stats. Amazing progress.
  • Options
    Why on earth did they even bother!
    Credit to him I say. He knew he'd come last but still represented his country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012

#tips hat, sets off out happy with a belly laugh for lunch
    You've made me all embarrassed! My face is redder than Donald Trump with constipation...

• Options
    are we sure that the timekeeper wasn't rollin a spliff and just took a guess ?
  • Options
    Trevor the Tortoise reminds me of Eric the Eel.
  • Options
    Excellent the only nation so dominant was the USA in the 80's to the early noughties. I wonder what they were all up to?
  • Options
    THE 91 world championships and 2008 olympics had 6 runners sub 10 seconds in the final.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The Trevor the Tortoises of this world are what it's all about rather than who has the best pharmacist.

He was under no illusions as to his ability but represented his country anyway. Good on him!
  • Options
    Excellent the only nation so dominant was the USA in the 80's to the early noughties. I wonder what they were all up to?
    Most of the USA woman athletes are trying to tuck their balls back into their pants and trying not to sound like James Earl Jones when they talk. The men well....have you seen the film 28 weeks later. Most of the entire athletics team were off their tits on some steroid or another. The most corrupt nation in the history of sports protected by their governments. Lance Armstrong anyone.....
  • Options
    Trevor the tortoise originally went to compete in the shot putt i think, but there was some issue with his entry or qualification, so he was basically told he could only compete on the track, so he did the 100m.
  • Options
    I thought these competitions had a qualifying time to be met to stop any old participant turning up , if the equivalant of that torotise fella was running the 10k or marathon they'd end up holding the games's next event up for a day or two !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Reminds me a little of Eddie the Eagle.....anyone who has stood alongside a mammoth ski jump will tell you that anyone crazy enough to go down one of those deserves a medal.....you need bottle by the truck load.....those that decried him had obviously never seen a ski jump.
    The Olympic spirit is what it's ALL about....representing your country to the very best of your ability (with honour), no matter what your ability is.
  • Options
    Reminds me a little of Eddie the Eagle.....anyone who has stood alongside a mamoth ski jump will tell you that anyone crazy enough to go down one of those deserves a medal.....you need bottle by the truck load.....those that decried him had obviously never seen a ski jump.
    The Olympic spirit is what it's ALL about....representing your country to the very best of your ability (with honour), no matter what your ability is.

My daughter used to sit next to Eddie the Eagle in law lectures at university.

There's a tenuous claim to fame!
  • Options
    Reminds me a little of Eddie the Eagle.....anyone who has stood alongside a mammoth ski jump will tell you that anyone crazy enough to go down one of those deserves a medal.....you need bottle by the truck load.....those that decried him had obviously never seen a ski jump.

My daughter used to sit next to Eddie the Eagle in law lectures at university.

There's a tenuous claim to fame!