Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vialli , Shearer , Klinsman and Lineker - The best two ?

Watching the BBC coverage tonight it was fascinating to hear the views of four fantastic international Strikers .
If you had the choice to pick two of the four to play in your dream team ( in a 4 - 4 -2 formation ) to win a world cup final who would you pick ?

Comments

• I'd go Vialli for skill and Lineker for being able to bundle anything over the line.
  • Klinsman and Lineker.
  • Not much in it but Lineker & Vialli
  • ... unless we were playing dirty than I'd go Klinsmann to take a dive and Shearer to elbow people out of the way.
  • I would pick Lineker and Klinsman but the worry would be that they would be to much alike.
  • Shearer was a far superior player to any of those IMO.

Had the ability to bundle goals in as well as drive them in from 35 yards. Great in the air too.
  • Klinsman and shearer
  • Tbh any pairing out of the four would be pretty tasty but I think I'd have to go for Shearer and Jurgen-the-German.

Shearer for his physical presence and Klinsmann because he was a very clever player always in the right place or making the right run.
  • Shearer was a far superior player to any of those IMO.

Had the ability to bundle goals in as well as drive them in from 35 yards. Great in the air too.
    Far superior? You are either too young to remember the others or you are a wum
  • Klinsman & Shearer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Klinsman & Shearer.
    This
  • Yea Klinsmann and Shearer.

Loved watching JK in World Cups when I was a nipper. A Gary Nelson who could score regularly on the international stage.
  • Shearer could also cheat his way to a penalty or two...
  • Very hard between Lineker, Klinsmann and Shearer, but Shearer and Klinsmann for me as Lineker and Klinsmann are too similar - good movement and finishing - and Klinsmann was just that tiny bit better at that level I think.
  • edited June 2012
    Lineker would have to be in front of Shearer - 10 goals in two World Cup Finals is outstanding and unlikely to be bettered by any modern player.

Compare and contrast with Shrek Rooney's 0 goals in 8 World Cup Finals appearances.
  • Definitely Lineker and Klinsmann no question. Lineker was a much better player than he was ever given credit for and Klinsmann was pure class if a bit theatrical at times.
  • Good thread and it's nice to see football being discussed in the pre-season! I rate Lineker above Shearer but both were quality players who would walk in to the current team without shifting in to second gear. I only ever saw Klinsman and Vialli in tournaments or when they came to play in England with the prime behind them, Klinsman was class for Spurs.
  • Shearer and Klinsmann for me.

Does anyone think Lineker would cut it in the modern game? Not much of an athlete.
  • Klinsman and Lineker.
    This.
  • My order would be Klinsman,Lineker,Shearer,Vialli but as a pair in a 442 it would be Klinsman and Shearer as dont think Klinsman and Lineker would work as bit too similar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vialli and Shearer
  • Klinsmann and Lineker for me.

I was fortunate to watch every game Jurgen played for Spurs in the '94/95 season. Hard to believe we signed him for just £2m. Formed a brilliant partnership with Sheringham with Anderton supplying them. 21 goals in 41 games with countless assists. He was virtually unplayable. He's up there with Gazza and Ginola as the 3 best attacking players I've been lucky enough to watch at WHL. The excitement I felt when we signed him is nothing I expect to feel again. When was the last time Spurs managed to attract a world class player like that? Doubt it will happen again.

Lineker. He used to work his @rse off in a 4-5-1 at Spurs with Gazza probing behind. Everyone remembers his finishing but not many remember the countless number of runs down the channels he used to make. His movement was excellent.

Would gladly chuck on Shearer with 20 mins to go if losing to put himself about a bit but he wouldnt be starting ahead of Klinsmann or Lineker for me.

• Shearer and Lineker
  • And what a joy to have a panel that talked about football in an intelligent and infornative way and who knew about the players rather than the Hansen/Dixon/Lawrenson borefest.

Line-acre and Jurgen for me but a hard choice to make.
  • I'd put Shearer ahead of Lineker. He virtually won the championship for Blackburn single-handed. Brilliant in the air, not as quick but Lineker retired pretty much as soon as he lost his pace. Would love to have someone of their quality now though.
  • Shearer and Klinsmann for me.

Does anyone think Lineker would cut it in the modern game? Not much of an athlete.
    Lineker was an excellent sprinter in his youth and his speed off the mark got him in the positions in the penalty box to do what he did.

Bit like Killer (in his younger incarnation).