Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Goalkeepers/Penalties...

Just wish Joe Hart would of stood up to that Pirlo penalty....he would have caught it, clutching at staws I know but it just annoys me when usually at least 1/5 penalties will go straight down the middle....still never mind as said before what would of happenend V Germany?

Comments

• Joe Hart was good tonight, the only one.

• why let Ashley Young take a pen when he has clearly had zero confidence throughout the tournament
  • Joe Hart was good tonight, the only one.

Not knocking Joe Hart...quality goalkeeper and as I said just clutching at straws, we were lucky to even reach extra-time let alone penalties.
  • If he was standing still for every pen Pirlo wouldn't have chipped it.
  • If my auntie Doris had a cock she would be my uncle...
  • Take your points lads, just feeling a bit pissed off with it all and clutching at straws, still roll on Brazil.
  • I thought Hart made himself look a right plonker with all that tongue out, eyes wide open malarky, leave that to the all blacks and the haka.
  • I thought Hart made himself look a right plonker with all that tongue out, eyes wide open malarky, leave that to the all blacks and the haka.
    I like Hart and thought he had a good tournament, but no idea what that was all about, embarassing, still if he'd saved a couple might have a different opinion.

• Haven't heard Seb Blatter attacking penalties today as he did after the CL final. Odd that
  • If he'd have stood still Pirlo would have stuck it to the side - Pirlo watched him dive, great penalty from a top player.

As for the tongue out stuff, I've got no problem with him trying to put people off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best bit for me was when the commentators were saying Joe Hart watches numerous dvds of the Italian penalty takers in his hotel room and when they asked Buffon he just siad he only watches naughty films in his room! Briliant.
  • Harsh to pin any blame on Hart for our perfomance this competition.
  • Harsh but he was committing too early and trying to save the perfect penalty, when it is better statistically to save the imperfect ones.
  • Didn't matter what Hart did, it was done to the others to score theirs.
  • Penalties are about scoring, the taker should be expected to score, any save is a bonus.
  • Down to him to save what he could and them to score theirs but I have a theory on coaching for penalties. Hodgson was quite right to say that you can't replicate the fatigue and pressure but there are some things you can do:

1) Unofficially decide all drawn friendly games on penalties - great experience for both sides and as this is not widespread, the first to do this could steal a march.

2) As a manger, know the technical limitations of your players. This can be done by a simple exercise of telling them where you want them to put a penalty and see how well they execute over a series of efforts. Some players have a stock penalty that serves them well but doubt is created if say in Cole's case, he has recently taken a high profile penalty. There is consequently a pressure to do something different, but he might not be up to it. It would tell me who are the best penalty takers.

3) Tell keeper that he must imagine the goal is smaller and defend that goal for 3 or 4 penalties out of 5 and one in 10 gamble on a penalty down the middle - after feigning to dive. Make this fact well known to opponents.
  • the long and short of it is, Pirlo f**ked with the Ashley's head with his pen
  • As i said in another thread, its good to see England finally have a keeper, havnt had a decent one since Seaman.
  • As i said in another thread, its good to see England finally have a keeper, havnt had a decent one since Seaman.
    Shame about the rest of them
  • I think Hart has the potential to be a great keeper but could still go the other way.
  • Sponsored links:

• All in all he had a good tourny however I think his distribution could be better, I have been spoilt though with Hamer this season
  • It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Hamer became a better keeper than Hart. He isn't now but I think he has the ingredients.
  • You forgot the smiley mutley
  • the long and short of it is, Pirlo f**ked with the Ashley's head with his pen
    You really think they missed because of an earlier penalty?

Madness.

Young missed as he was determined to blast it and forgot about his technique.
    Cole missed as Buffon had only seen him take 1 previous penalty and he hit it in exactly the same place only with an ill-advised stutter mid run up.

• Seriously, I can see Hart going the way of Robinson and Green.
  • Best bit for me was when the commentators were saying Joe Hart watches numerous dvds of the Italian penalty takers in his hotel room and when they asked Buffon he just siad he only watches naughty films in his room! Briliant.
    Buffon is a legend

Loved the fact he was cool and calm enough to be joking around with Gerrard and the officials before the pens, and also how loud and bad his singing of the Italian national anthem is - honestly, watch him on Thursday, it's brilliant.

That said I wish he'd dived out of the way for Cole's penalty.

And Muttley, will have to agree to disagree there - I think Hart will be a top keeper.
  • It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Hamer became a better keeper than Hart. He isn't now but I think he has the ingredients.
    I knew you had to be a bit loopy to be a Charlton fan but bloody hell that is sectioning material!
  • We will see - Hamer has a good season next year and he won't be far away from the England side. If you actually read what I said properly, you would see that I didn't say he was better now but Hart strikes me that he is a keeper who can have a dip and Hamer has a lot of areas in his game that with th erequired improvements could make him a top keeper - it is about potential. I hope Hart continues to improve but I was making the point about Hamer really.

I know some don't rate him, but obviously can't spot talented keepers. Thankfully the Charlton Scouts can.

Was also terribly disapointed with Hart in the shoot out - very naive approach but this doesn't make him a poor keeper - I concede that.
  • We will see - Hamer has a good season next year and he won't be far away from the England side. If you actually read what I said properly, you would see that I didn't say he was better now but Hart strikes me that he is a keeper who can have a dip and Hamer has a lot of areas in his game that with th erequired improvements could make him a top keeper - it is about potential. I hope Hart continues to improve but I was making the point about Hamer really.

I know some don't rate him, but obviously can't spot talented keepers. Thankfully the Charlton Scouts can.

Was also terribly disapointed with Hart in the shoot out - very naive approach but this doesn't make him a poor keeper - I concede that.
    With the tongue-out, eyeballing approach that Joe Hart took, he actually made me feel pretty confident that he was going to save a few. I've not a problem with it, I think it's great actually.

As for Hamer Vs Hart......Well, nobody is saying that Hamer isn't talented, but what you're basically saying Muttley is that Ben Hamer has the potential to be one of the best goalkeepers in the world?

Keep in mind that Hart is 25 and Hamer is 24.
  • Didn't have a problem with that - had a problem with him diving too early trying to save the perfect penalties.

If you look at keepers - you would say there was a time when David James looked like he would be the best, then Robinson - I'm saying Hamer has the raw materials and his distribution for example could be better than Hart's. I also sense confidence plays a big part for Hart - We'll see.