Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rivaldo

edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Hope there isnt a thread on this already if there is you can remove this. Saw in the south east London press today that apparently we snubbed a move for Rivaldo back in November when his agent came and offered him to us. I know he is getting old and is 40 now but possibly it could of been a half decent signing, considering the year before he was still scoring goals for Sao Paulo? Just wondered what you all thought? .... Also could of possibly brought us a few fans from around the world who will follow the Brasilian world cup winning legend and possibly spread are name more worldwide??

Comments

• Options
    You'd have to question his motives for wanting to play for Charlton...his heart wouldn't really be in it, would he fancy the trips to Hartlepool, etc. Would seem a ridiculous signing when your gaffer has started to build a solid team again.
  • Options
    Is this real?
  • Options
    Is this real?
    It was according to Rich Cawley but seems so.

Seems we said no most likely for the reasons the Spanner said.
  • Options
  • Options
    'writes Richard Crawley'

enough said.
  • Options
    You'd have to question his motives for wanting to play for Charlton...his heart wouldn't really be in it, would he fancy the trips to Hartlepool, etc. Would seem a ridiculous signing when your gaffer has started to build a solid team again.
    The fact he is 40 and still wanting to play football, im sure he isn't in it for the money and could quite happily retire with no financial worries for the rest of his life. Maybe he just wanted to prove he can still play at a high level and wanted to prove himself in England?
    Shirt sales would have gone through the roof, ticket sales would have gone up, meaning more money for the club?

Then even if he is shit and cant hack or doesn't show a level of commitment then we just release him from his contract at the end of the season a bit like we did with John Barnes!?
  • Options
    The fact he is 40 and still wanting to play football, im sure he isn't in it for the money and could quite happily retire with no financial worries for the rest of his life. Maybe he just wanted to prove he can still play at a high level and wanted to prove himself in England?
    Shirt sales would have gone through the roof, ticket sales would have gone up, meaning more money for the club?

Then even if he is shit and cant hack or doesn't show a level of commitment then we just release him from his contract at the end of the season a bit like we did with John Barnes!?
    How is division 3 a high level?
    How many wallys would've gone out & bought a Rivaldo shirt?
    & why would you risk signing a player whose heart & attitude may not be right, which then unsettles a promising team on a great run topping the table?

• Options
    For once, i'm in agreement with Leonard.
  • Options
    no thanks.. but Rivelino ? .. he's about 65 and could still do a job .. though what job I need to get clear in my mind
  • Options
    i'm gonna get a rivaldo shirt next season anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2012
    i only like brazilians on a bird so no thanks
  • Options
    Good it would've been a bad move, like Davids going to Palace a few seasons back
  • Options
    He's 40 next month, put him behind the front two!
  • Options
    If there was even an outside chance of loads of Brazillian birds turning up in the club then they should of signed him imo.
  • Options
    i only like brazilians on a bird so no thanks
    In Brazil they're called a Hitler.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So glad we didn't take up this offer. It would have ruined the whole team ethos and created a media circus featuring him, not the club. And if we went up as champions, guess who would take all the credit?
  • Options
    edited March 2012

• Options
    'writes Richard Crawley'

enough said.
    Spot on.

Rivaldo has probably never heard of Charlton.
  • Options
    'writes Richard Crawley'

enough said.
    Spot on.

Of course he has, everyone has heard of us!

• Options
    For once, i'm in agreement with Leonard.

Hate to say but me too.

It's the sort of thing Palace would do eg Edgar Davids.

Team first, second and third, shirt sales a very distant 127th
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'writes Richard Crawley'

enough said.
    Spot on.

Yeah, we're massive! We were 4th in the premier league and won an FA Cup once! My only worry is that he hadnt of heard of the tin pot clubs around us so wouldn't put in a shift, even in front of the MASSIVE crowds we get at the wembley of south east london
  • Options
    Reckon he just had his heart set on a kent cup winners medal..............................
  • Options
    'writes Richard Crawley'

enough said.
    Spot on.

I doubt he has heard of his current club before he joined them
  • Options
    'writes Richard Crawley'

enough said.
    Spot on.

Yeah, we're massive! We were 4th in the premier league and won an FA Cup once! My only worry is that he hadnt of heard of the tin pot clubs around us so wouldn't put in a shift, even in front of the MASSIVE crowds we get at the wembley of south east london
    i hope this is a joke. i dont want our fans becoming like those porky wendys up north. We're not massive. we are IMMENSE!!!!1
  • Options
    I would have preferred us to get Bobblinino in to be honest. Still young, decent right back and on a cheap with something to prove.
  • Options
    This would not have ended well!
  • Options
    'writes Richard Crawley'

enough said.
    Spot on.

i hope this is a joke. i dont want our fans becoming like those porky wendys up north. We're not massive. we are IMMENSE!!!!1
    FACT
  • Options
    I don't care if he's 23 or 83. Sign him up. It's Rivaldo!!!!
  • Options
    I'm sure we could all agree that he would have brought in more money an played more games than alonso !
  • Options
    He drinks in The Park Tavern.....