Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Playing The Guitar

Comments

• Options
    I got given a Ukulele for Christmas, think people want me to take up a new hobby.

Anyone else play this themselves?
  • Options
    I have always been rather flakey. As a child I would start things and then when it got tough (or when it stopped being just fun) I would want to give up.

I have a draw full of bronze and silver awards but I never seemed to hang around for the gold one.

I may have matured (even though many of my drunk posts suggest otherwise) because I seem to have the enthusiasm to really commit to this. I don't practice every day (I am a single parent and all that) but I do pick up the guitar at least three times a week and when I do I find it both relaxing and rewarding.

I'm confident that I'll still be playing in a year's time, but time will tell. My main aim is for my son (who is 12) to be able to play when he goes away to University. The chaps at mine, that could play the guitar, seemed to be disproportionally interesting to the girls.
  • Options
    Even just 5 minutes practice a day makes a huge difference. More beneficial than a one hour practice once a week.

Try and get that little pinkie finger on your fret board hand working as soon as you can. It adds so much to your playing.
  • Options
    Rarely does a day go by without me picking up a guitar and noodling around on it. I bought my first guitar off my cousin for 50p when I was 12 or 13. Never realised it would be a lifelong thing. And I still love that feeling every time I pick up a guitar to play it.
  • Options

I got given a Ukulele for Christmas, think people want me to take up a new hobby.

Yeah, go for it Mr Forever.
    Great starter instrument. Lots of famous guitarists also play uke.

As well as acoustic guitar, I've got a couple of ukuleles.

I've got a cheap 'soprano' size for messing about on, taking in the garden, camping, whatever.
    Not too precious, nice and compact, with conventional uke GCEA tuning.

Easy to learn. Even easier if you're already a guitar player.
    And great fun.

Also, I play a 'baritone' uke, big brother to all the other uke sizes.
    Still small enough to be portable, but a bigger voice than smaller ukes.

Big advantage - it's DGBE tuning, same as a normal guitar.
    If you already play guitar, it's the same scales and chord shapes or cut down shapes (only 4 strings, of course).

There's 2 other popular sizes of uke in between - 'concert' and the bigger 'tenor', like Jake Shimabukuro plays:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3RbO7updc

And you can also get electric ukes in all sizes.
    I'd love to treat myself to a better quality acoustic 'tenor' uke with electric pickups, to take to jam nights!

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted (big smiley).
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Oggy Red said:

Yeah, go for it Mr Forever.
    Great starter instrument. Lots of famous guitarists also play uke.

As well as acoustic guitar, I've got a couple of ukuleles.

I've got a cheap 'soprano' size for messing about on, taking in the garden, camping, whatever.
    Not too precious, nice and compact, with conventional uke GCEA tuning.

Easy to learn. Even easier if you're already a guitar player.
    And great fun.

Also, I play a 'baritone' uke, big brother to all the other uke sizes.
    Still small enough to be portable, but a bigger voice than smaller ukes.

Big advantage - it's DGBE tuning, same as a normal guitar.
    If you already play guitar, it's the same scales and chord shapes or cut down shapes (only 4 strings, of course).

There's 2 other popular sizes of uke in between - 'concert' and the bigger 'tenor', like Jake Shimabukuro plays:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3RbO7updc

And you can also get electric ukes in all sizes.
    I'd love to treat myself to a better quality acoustic 'tenor' uke with electric pickups, to take to jam nights!

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted (big smiley).
    Cheers Oggy...

Was glad someone took my comment seriously and didnt take my post as being one of my classic messing around comments - Its because its a starter instrument that I decided to go for it over a Guitar (cheaper too) yet just cant get the first string (A) to tune correctly
  • Options

Hi Forever,

One problem is that the market is flooded with very cheap ukes, which can be difficult to hold the tuning ...... they're great to muck around with, learn chord shapes and get you started (and excellent for young children with small hands to learn on) but as you improve ultimately you'll want a decent quality instrument - and like buying any decent instrument, you'll need to pay the price.

Any uke will sound better if it's in tune - so unless you can already tune by ear, invest 10 or 15 quid in an electronic tuner. It'll speed up your progress and everything you play will sound better.

Remember the golden rule - when you're learning a new song, play much more slowly to begin with; only speed up when you feel confident you have mastered it.
    And best to play 10 minutes at a time as often as possible rather than a long marathon session once a week.

Good luck - be patient with yourself and never give up!

• Options
    I'll put in a plug here for Norman's Music, in Well Hall Road, Eltham.

Not sure if Francis is still running it, as I know he was looking to sell about a year ago.

Nevertheless, they are always helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to any sort of instrument, and I've always bought my musical stuff there. Good after sales service and customer focus too.

• Options

I'll put in a plug here for Norman's Music, in Well Hall Road, Eltham.

Not sure if Francis is still running it, as I know he was looking to sell about a year ago.

Nevertheless, they are always helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to any sort of instrument, and I've always bought my musical stuff there. Good after sales service and customer focus too.

New owners now but still very good.
  • Options
    My lad, almost 5, keeps mentioning a guitar. I'm not sure if he's really old enough yet to practice or whether he simply wants it as a noisy toy. I play the guitar, chords rather than a plucker, and he very much wants to do what daddy does.

Anyone have experience of introducing a musical instrument to a kid and at what age? Is it best to start with lessons or keep it informal and fun initially?

I'm not a pushy parent and would like him to enjoy music in his life rather than achieve grades. I was forced down that route with the violin and haven't touched the blasted thing for decades now after years of playing classics music. Now I play the guitar and simply enjoy the music and play the music I enjoy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Start your 5 year old with a ukelele, Ford.
    Easier than a guitar and excellent for young children with small hands to learn on.

Loads of primary schools introduce young kids to ukes for that very reason.
    And then he can progress to a guitar when he's more ready.

• Options
    I've had a guitar (have an electric and acoustic) for about 15 years now and in the first few years, I practised religiously. Mainly Metallica songs but could never do a whole song as I gave up too easily. At some point life took over and I stopped playing guitar for a long time.

Just getting back into it again and I've been recommended to justinguitar by my dad. I'm going to start back at the start again just to ensure my basics are solid before moving on. No point trying to run before you can walk as some of you have said.

My main aim is to be able to play a song all the way through. Problem is, I'd like to do a song that's interesting to me like a metallica / megadeth / iron maiden but I know that's too ambitious for now. So will again start with basics and can have them as my long term aims.

Need to take my Jackson DK2-Dinky to the guitar shop tomorrow though as it's not staying in tune (despite many restrings). Hopefully once that's sorted, it'll be easier to just pick up and play whenever I have a spare moment. In meantime there's my acoustic which I've been playing past few days.

Another tip I've been told is that the best way to improve guitar playing is to purchase a stand instead of keeping it zipped in a case. This thread also gives people like me inspiration to keep going again.
  • Options
    Don't buy an acoustic tuner, there are plenty of decent phone apps that will work with a ukelele.
  • Options
    bellz2002 said:

I've had a guitar (have an electric and acoustic) for about 15 years now and in the first few years, I practised religiously. Mainly Metallica songs but could never do a whole song as I gave up too easily. At some point life took over and I stopped playing guitar for a long time.

Just getting back into it again and I've been recommended to justinguitar by my dad. I'm going to start back at the start again just to ensure my basics are solid before moving on. No point trying to run before you can walk as some of you have said.

My main aim is to be able to play a song all the way through. Problem is, I'd like to do a song that's interesting to me like a metallica / megadeth / iron maiden but I know that's too ambitious for now. So will again start with basics and can have them as my long term aims.

Need to take my Jackson DK2-Dinky to the guitar shop tomorrow though as it's not staying in tune (despite many restrings). Hopefully once that's sorted, it'll be easier to just pick up and play whenever I have a spare moment. In meantime there's my acoustic which I've been playing past few days.

Another tip I've been told is that the best way to improve guitar playing is to purchase a stand instead of keeping it zipped in a case. This thread also gives people like me inspiration to keep going again.

Yes, it's given me the inspiration to pick them both up again. At least ten minutes a day will be the target in January to get back into the swing of things.

I have a Tanglewood acoustic which is susceptible to hot and cold and I took it back to Normans for some adjustment which improved things after it kept going out of tune too quickly. It's OK now if I'm careful where I keep it.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    FORD said:

My lad, almost 5, keeps mentioning a guitar. I'm not sure if he's really old enough yet to practice or whether he simply wants it as a noisy toy. I play the guitar, chords rather than a plucker, and he very much wants to do what daddy does.

Anyone have experience of introducing a musical instrument to a kid and at what age? Is it best to start with lessons or keep it informal and fun initially?

I'm not a pushy parent and would like him to enjoy music in his life rather than achieve grades. I was forced down that route with the violin and haven't touched the blasted thing for decades now after years of playing classics music. Now I play the guitar and simply enjoy the music and play the music I enjoy.

Hello, either try the ukelele route initially like Oggy suggested, and plenty of schools now seem to getting ukelele groups to strum out simple tunes.
    However, if like my 5 year old daughter your son wants to play a guitar, it might be worth buying a small acoustic one that he can sit and hold comfortably. Show him some stuff you can do on your guitar, then maybe teach him a couple of simple tunes, the melody of twinkle twinkle etc. Then my advice would be simply encourage and don't force - let them show a natural interest when they are ready.if they take it up great, and then ask if there is something they want to learn to play. Just make it fun, then they will learn simply that it is enjoyable and won't see it as a chore. But tell them, because it is true, that practice will only make them better. My daughter is 6 now and she loves playing and she practises lots when she wants to learn something.I coach a couple of kids too down here only half an hour every other week. One of them has learned the James Bond theme, and the other is more into her chords.
    Keep it light, and I am sure he will do great. :+1:
  • Options
    If anyone's looking for an electric guitar set-up I have an Ibanez RG350mdx and Marshall MG10 amp going on Gumtree soon.

Special price for one of us.
  • Options
    3blokes said:

FORD said:

Hello, either try the ukelele route initially like Oggy suggested, and plenty of schools now seem to getting ukelele groups to strum out simple tunes.
    However, if like my 5 year old daughter your son wants to play a guitar, it might be worth buying a small acoustic one that he can sit and hold comfortably. Show him some stuff you can do on your guitar, then maybe teach him a couple of simple tunes, the melody of twinkle twinkle etc. Then my advice would be simply encourage and don't force - let them show a natural interest when they are ready.if they take it up great, and then ask if there is something they want to learn to play. Just make it fun, then they will learn simply that it is enjoyable and won't see it as a chore. But tell them, because it is true, that practice will only make them better. My daughter is 6 now and she loves playing and she practises lots when she wants to learn something.I coach a couple of kids too down here only half an hour every other week. One of them has learned the James Bond theme, and the other is more into her chords.
    Keep it light, and I am sure he will do great. :+1:
    Cheers @3blokes - that's the route I think I'll take with him. 1/4 or 1/2 size will be fine and I'll take him to the music shop in Eltham to make sure he gets the best size. He loves listening to me play a few chords so the whole playing together will work wonders initially.
  • Options
    Just a thought if you're wanting the best of both worlds, you can get Guitar Uke's that are basically the same size but 6 strings and tuned A to A, so they're perfect instruments for kids who want to play guitar but can't get around the string spacing...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2730046321/ukuleles/gretsch-guitar-ukulele
  • Options
    Just for interest, this is a great documentary of the power behind the sound (Vox AC30). It all happened in Dartford (even before the Rolling Stones happened).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54s3386KZVI
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just for interest, this is a great documentary of the power behind the sound (Vox AC30). It all happened in Dartford (even before the Rolling Stones happened).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54s3386KZVI

Ah the old ac30 :smile: had one which finally died a few years back. Sweet sound when cranked up. Remember old Alan Pyne's shop in Dartford, he left me in his shop playing this ac30 out the back once while he went to get something to eat. Then he came back and went on for 20 minutes about how much this cheese roll had cost him. He just wouldn't let it go! Every other word began with an f. :wink:
  • Options
    I am well aware that this is probably a mid life crisis thing, but, been toying with the idea of learning for last couple of years, go to loads of Rock & Roll jam sessions, and always fancied playing rather than singing, which I do occasionally, have my uncles acoustic guitar in my loft.
    Would people advise as a complete novice, to go and have a few lessons first, as wouldn't even know how to tune or string a guitar if needed, or try YouTube self teaching videos (if so, which ones?)

TIA
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    DA9 said:

I am well aware that this is probably a mid life crisis thing, but, been toying with the idea of learning for last couple of years, go to loads of Rock & Roll jam sessions, and always fancied playing rather than singing, which I do occasionally, have my uncles acoustic guitar in my loft.
    Would people advise as a complete novice, to go and have a few lessons first, as wouldn't even know how to tune or string a guitar if needed, or try YouTube self teaching videos (if so, which ones?)

TIA

If you can afford a couple of lessons, then that would give you a bit of one to one on tuning etc and the basic mechanics of playing, but if not, you tube is awash with people ready to show you all sorts of guitar stuff for free. My advice would be to be type in something like - learn guitar, beginner - and try a few sites till you find one that you like or that 'speaks clearly' to you.
    Good luck with it, and enjoy it, never too old to start :+1:

• Options
    3blokes said:

DA9 said:

TIA

If you can afford a couple of lessons, then that would give you a bit of one to one on tuning etc and the basic mechanics of playing, but if not, you tube is awash with people ready to show you all sorts of guitar stuff for free. My advice would be to be type in something like - learn guitar, beginner - and try a few sites till you find one that you like or that 'speaks clearly' to you.
    Good luck with it, and enjoy it, never too old to start :+1:

Cheers
  • Options
    DA9 said:

TIA

This guy is very good. He's got loads of lessons on-line starting from the very basics and the whole programme is very well structured. The online content is all free, but if you feel a pang of guilt you can always make a donation or buy one of his many books.

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

There's some good stuff here:

http://www.anyonecanplayguitar.co.uk/beginners/

When you get going, this site has a little game for learning the fretboard which is quite handy as you don't need to be near a guitar to play and learn.

http://www.fachords.com/blog2013/guitar-fretboard-learn-notes-for-beginners/

This guy has some really good lessons, he's all over you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs
  • Options
    This book has some interesting stuff. It won't teach you how to play; it's more about state of mind and avoiding some of the pitfalls guitarists fall into. It's a slim volume and even then I sense that it was padded out to make it publishable. Some of the lessons are invaluable though. The most important thing I took from it, is that it should be fun. The guitar was invented so that people could amuse themselves, it is in effect just a toy. You don't have to be a virtuoso or look like a rock god (oh boy does he go off on one about guitar heroes and rock gods) to enjoy playing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weird-Things-Guitarists-Do-Misconceptions/dp/1519026579/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485080694&sr=8-1&keywords=weird+things+guitar
  • Options
    DA9 said:

TIA

I tried a couple of years ago to learn on my own and lost interest quite quickly. Then last summer my son decided that he wanted to learn to play so we went for a few lessons. We only paid £10 for half an hour each week and what we learned was invaluable - there are many things that you can't get from youtube, especially having someone watch you and tell you where you are going wrong. After about six lessons I started to learn a few chords which meant that with the help of youtube I could play along to a couple of songs. As soon as that happened I suddenly had the enthusiasm to practice and then my techniques started to improve.

We've changed teacher now and we started to learn how to do the scales etc. it's a little slow progress and not very exciting but, probably, necessary. It will enable him to play properly but within the last couple of weeks he's picked up some chords and he has a new enthusiasm to practice.

I'm not suggesting that what we did is the best approach for everyone but I would recognise that the guitar is, somewhat, unnatural to play until you get your head around it. Once you pick up the ability to make a few shapes with your hand while strumming with the other it becomes much easier - patience and persistence.

Now that I can play a few songs (all be it not very well) I think learning to play was one of the best things I've ever done.

Just in case it's of any use, I'm 45 and have, literally, no musical talent at all. I never learned to read or play music at school and apart from watching the Sound of Music as a child I had no idea of the notes or anything and within six months I went from struggling to enjoying it. I definitely recommend you give it a go - what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Thanks Stig, KHA & Baldybonce for the pm.
  • Options
    Justinguitar.com that Stig mentions is really good
  • Options
    DA9 said:

TIA

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy it. Because you'll learn much more when you're enjoying it.

Other than that, I will give you two bits of really good advice.

1. Marty Schwartz.

2. From time to time, crank up the volume to eleven and play it as LOUD as you possibly can. And if people moan at you, f*** 'em! There's really nothing better than thrashing out bit of your favourite type of music at window-rattling volume. Go for it!