Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2011 Sports Personality of the Year

The nominations:

Mark Cavendish
Darren Clarke
Alastair Cook
Luke Donald
Mo Farah
Dai Greene
Amir Khan
Rory McIlroy
Andy Murray
Andrew Strauss

Comments

• Where the fcuk is Chris Powell on that list?
  • Andrew Strauss, captain of the English Cricket team that lead England to the number one test team in the world.
  • This "unfixable" public vote will result in Darren Clarke winning, so that the beeb can repeatedly show the Open footage that they already have from July.
  • Mo Farah, the best mid to long distance runner for a generation.
  • Just finished reading Brian Moore's (the rugby player not footie commentator) autobiography called "Beware of the dog" and he talks about how embarassed he was when the England world cup team of 1991 that lost to Australia was awarded joint team of the year with The GB 4x400 metre relay team that won the gold medal at The World Championships. To make it worse the award was presented by David Campese the arch Pom basher and as Moore pointed out he probably went back home and told everyone we give out awards for losing. So this is my long winded way of saying "Not Andy Murray" great player that he is.

My vote? I guess Moh Farah as it should be awarded to an individual in an individual sport in my opinion.

• One of Clarke, Farah or Greene for me.

I think Clarke will probably get it because of his history.

• Mark Cavendish for me - huge achievement in the Tour de France which is a bloody tough competition !! and all set up for Olympic Glory in 2012 ! 
  • Why is Andy Murray in that list? He has no personality.
  • Team of the year must be Huddersfield for their record breaking achievement.
  • The only worthy winner is Cavendish.

Not only for his TdF achievements winning Britain's first ever green jersey, but also for winning the Road Race World Championships.
    Not one of the other 9 on the list have come anywhere close to achieving what Cav has done this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd be surprised if a cyclist won it in a non-Olympic year. I'll plump for Rory McIlroy, fantastic achievement after blowing the Masters.
  • Why is Chrissie Wellington not even included on the list, I know not many people have heard of her but just take a look on wikipedia to see her achievements she leaves (most if not all) of the top ten in the shade.

• Why is Chrissie Wellington not even included on the list, I know not many people have heard of her but just take a look on wikipedia to see her achievements she leaves (most if not all) of the top ten in the shade.

The clues are there....
  • One of Clarke, Farah or Greene for me.

I think Clarke will probably get it because of his history.

You mean like Danny Baker getting a Sony?
  • Just finished reading Brian Moore's (the rugby player not footie commentator) autobiography called "Beware of the dog" and he talks about how embarassed he was when the England world cup team of 1991 that lost to Australia was awarded joint team of the year with The GB 4x400 metre relay team that won the gold medal at The World Championships. To make it worse the award was presented by David Campese the arch Pom basher and as Moore pointed out he probably went back home and told everyone we give out awards for losing. So this is my long winded way of saying "Not Andy Murray" great player that he is.

My vote? I guess Moh Farah as it should be awarded to an individual in an individual sport in my opinion.

I remember Campese presenting the team award in 2003 when England had won the World Cup but not in 1991. Clive Woodward was most upset.
  • Where is John Terry, Ryan Giggs, and Elliott Omozusi on that list??!?!?!?
  • Mark Cavendish for me too.
  • If Cavendish doesn't win this year the BBC should stop the programme.

Green jersey and World Champion, nuff said....

I met Cav last month, absolute top bloke 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h31WWkL4nsY

• I saw him on Soccer AM and thought he came across a bit of a wally.
  • Has to be Cav
  • Sponsored links:

• Won't be voting as I don't know any of them so can't comment on their personalities.
  • edited November 2011
    The Manx Missile by yards. As he usually does.....

• Mark Cavendish - by a mile. 
  • edited November 2011
    Mark Cavendish 
    Lee Darren Clarke, surely ;-)
    Alastair Cook 
    Luke Donald 
    Mo Farah 
    Dai Greene 
    Amir Khan 
    Rory McIlroy 
    Andy Murray 
    Andrew Strauss
  • What about Nick Matthew? The English Squash player who as of this year became the first man in 20ish years to retain the World Open title? He's also been number 1 in the world for years...
  • The BBC will now go over the top showing footage of womens team events in an attempt to make up for the complete lack of women in the top ten.

This is what happens when you ask the predominately male sports journalism industry to vote on 'personalities' and don't put any thought into who actually deserves the awards.

• I think the Cricket team will win team of the year so sports personality should go to Cavendish but will probably go to Clarke.
  • It used to be an anonymous little show called Sports Review of The Year at the end of November on a Wednesday night in the Sportsnight slot. It was a good review too. Quality presenters, quality action (BBC had some rights then) and great guests.
    It came from Television Centre and the vote was open to any candidate. You just cut your coupon out of the Radio Times.

Now it is an awful hyped up event in an aircraft hanger with a phone vote and a huge public audience. Poor presenters and a closed shop of nominations.

It's rubbish. Who gives a hoot? I don’t.
  • Team of the year must be Huddersfield for their record breaking achievement.
    Team of the year must be Charlton for beating them
  • Cavendish for me as well, Green Jersey and World Champion...... nuff said.