Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quadrophenia

Comments

• Options

So much I'd love to say but if I start I'll never stop. If you're really interested in Mod culture then I recommend a book called Mods!...By Richard Barnes.

Quite a few old black and white photos of The Lewisham Mods in there, especially in the Hastings section..some of my oldest pals are featured.........pals still to this day.

Had a party at my place in July and the book got a real good airing with old faces looking through and recognising either themselves or others.

Infuriatingly I'm not in any of them...........much to my dissapointment.

I have that book. An old friend who grew up in Battersea noticed a few of his mates in there, too. I'd also recommend Terry Rawlings' Mod: A Very British Phenomenon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mod-Difficult-Circumstances-British-Phenomenon/dp/0711968136
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I always liked good examples of both music genres and whilst I had a moped when I was 16, only needed one mirror on it. Thought the boys who came to school dressed as mods were complete idiots with those stupid shoes!!!

Most interesting aspect to the film for me is watching established middle aged actors looking young!! Of its time and hasn't aged well.

• Options

People get a bit confused with Mods/Rockers/The Who.

At the end of the day The Who are a Rock 'n Roll band that ROCK!

Rock 'n Roll did not stop with Gene Vincent, Johnny Kidd etc.

• Options
    edited November 2011
     As a rocker I had to live a secret life for some time as I did, and still do, like The Who's music. Fortunately by the time the film came out my rocker days were more or less over and I could go and see the film without wearing a disguise. Painful to see us getting walloped at Brighton again but it was a a well made film with music that still sounds as good today as it did then.

Coz the Who played rock music.  Mods didn't listen to all that stuff with guitar solos and blokes with long curly hair.  They listened to people like Otis Redding and Sam and Dave and people on the Stax label.

Damn, when will I learn to read the thread before posting.

• Options
    Anyone who fights over music and fashion is as bad as anyone who fights over their footballl team. Idiots.
  • Options

Well said.

Are you looking at my Uggs?

• Options
    Anyone who fights over music and fashion is as bad as anyone who fights over their footballl team. Idiots.
    I think you'll find it was called banter.
  • Options

People get a bit confused with Mods/Rockers/The Who.

At the end of the day The Who are a Rock 'n Roll band that ROCK!

Rock 'n Roll did not stop with Gene Vincent, Johnny Kidd etc.

The Who are a rock band, not Rock 'n' Roll, too much muisc these days get classed as R&R, Queen, Oasis, Keiser Chiefs etc. Its a lazy umbrella for radio stations and the media.
  • Options

:-)

I know you're a big fan of Elvis and other pioneers of early R&R DA9 but I must take issue with you on this, The Who and The Stones and The Beatles are all Rock 'n Roll. 100%.

• Options
    Fight fight fight fight fight
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pete Meaden basically manufactured The Who (when they were The High Numbers) into a Mod band. Apparently Townsend was the only member of the band with even a passing interest in Mods.

As was said before, the true Mod's music of choice was American soul, but of the home-grown acts, Georgie Fame, The Small Faces and The Action were among the few who seemingly got kudos from Mods.
  • Options

:-)

I know you're a big fan of Elvis and other pioneers of early R&R DA9 but I must take issue with you on this, The Who and The Stones and The Beatles are all Rock 'n Roll. 100%.

The Beatles early stuff was highly influenced by R&R of its time, but after that period it was pure pop for me, Stones & Who, rock bands. I could take you to countless Rockabilly, R&R, Teddy Boy or Elvis weekenders, unadultered R&R statto's and boffins some of them and they would scoff at the mere suggestion :-)
  • Options
    " people try to put us down--just because we get around"
  • Options
    edited November 2011

I know you could DA9. But I'm sorry those factions of Rock 'n Roll do not have a copyright on the genre. Rock and Roll is massive and covers many different divisions in my opinion. It didn't stop in 1959.

The Rolling Stones have described themselves as The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World for over 40 years now and I wouldn't argue with the catagory they place themselves in.

I'm not going to argue anymore. The clever clogs will soon be involved and I  just can't be arsed even reading what they say let alone replying to it.

Happy rocking DA9. You're a goodun, even though you never responded to my offer of Joe Brown tickets!

• Options
    Apparently the fight scene on the Beach and a couple of others had to be halted at times as it was getting serious. By all accounts..Plenty of West Ham as extras.
  • Options
    Apparently the fight scene on the Beach and a couple of others had to be halted at times as it was getting serious. By all accounts..Plenty of West Ham as extras.

Don't believe a word of that. Sure you are on a wind up but anyway I'm going to ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz you.

Such a crap post.

• Options
    Pipe down chirpy.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Chirpy - Not sure how that would wind someone up but I'm not asking you to believe me and tbh I don't care what you think. I was just saying from what someone told me who knew people who were extras in it.

Anyway, I'd suggest you take Curb It's advice

• Options
    Interesting man is Pete Townshend .... the Who was regarded and marketed in the 60s as an anti establishment, teenage rebellion group and yet Quadrophenia is an anti drug and anti rebel story. Perhaps Townshend saw the errors of his ways when he reached his late 20s, having made a heap of money by then of course
  • Options
    Just caught up with. So.....just for Dec. Me and my boys before a run down to Hastings (I'm 4th from left) and me in my made to measure whistle, fringe squires loafers and red socks!?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting man is Pete Townshend .... the Who was regarded and marketed in the 60s as an anti establishment, teenage rebellion group and yet Quadrophenia is an anti drug and anti rebel story. Perhaps Townshend saw the errors of his ways when he reached his late 20s, having made a heap of money by then of course
    I can assure you he didn't!
  • Options

There were very few Rock Bands that were acepted by Mods at the time.

However The Who certainly were and did the cross over to Mod culture and acceptance from mainstream Mods seamlessly.

• Options

Anyway, I'd suggest you take Curb It's advice

That would be a first!
  • Options

As this thread has now moved onto the music of the day I would suggest that it was all a bit more complex than you suggest. The Beatles for instance were highly influenced by a number of black artists such as Sam Cooke and The Stones by the early blues players even their name came from a Muddy Waters song. Completely agree that Mods music was mostly soul but somehow they adopted The Who probably because of My Generation as an anthem to their rebellion.

The Mods on this thread will know that the top boys were called Faces hence The Small Faces who adopted the Mod look and were also popular with the mods I knew, both at school and where I lived my best mates brother who was a raving Mod was massively into Jimi Hendrix and I remember clearly when he died he sat and cried.

Pete Townsend is a very contradictory personality on the one hand he was a demonic, scissor kicking, windmilling Rock guitarist (the most underrated of all time in my opinion he is up there with the best) and on the other hand he is this kind of phoney intellectual who, especially in the late sixties/early seventies spouted a load of claptrap and to some extent still does although he does appear to take himself slightly less seriously these days. Never the less the back catalouge stands up magnificently and it spawed one great movie and a couple of really good documentaries.

• Options
    Regarding Pete as a guitarist - I heard that the first time he saw Hendrix live he said he'd give up on being a guitar hero and concentrate on his songwriting!
  • Options

I know you could DA9. But I'm sorry those factions of Rock 'n Roll do not have a copyright on the genre. Rock and Roll is massive and covers many different divisions in my opinion. It didn't stop in 1959.

The Rolling Stones have described themselves as The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World for over 40 years now and I wouldn't argue with the catagory they place themselves in.

I'm not going to argue anymore. The clever clogs will soon be involved and I  just can't be arsed even reading what they say let alone replying to it.

Happy rocking DA9. You're a goodun, even though you never responded to my offer of Joe Brown tickets!

Sorry fella, it was too late to respond when I finally remembered the offer, good of you though. :-)

• Options
    50 years ago this week the Whitsun weekend saw fights between mods and rockers in Clacton, Margate and Brighton. This was the backdrop for Quadrophenia.
  • Options
    The band that featured in the club scene have reformed. Cross Section, sang "High Heeled Sneaker" but dropped off the radar years ago. I'm seeing them at a charity do at Kenney Jones (Small Faces & The Who) Polo venue this Saturday. There's a display of classic cars, polo games and a concert in the evening.
  • Options
    that was one of my favourite tunes from the film
  • Options
    When I saw this had been bumped I thought it was because the Alfie Boe version has just been released .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pete-Townshends-Classic-Quadrophenia-Alfie/dp/B00Q5V6RGE

I purchased it on I tunes and it is very interesting hearing the songs played differently.

Here is Alfie's version of Love Reign Over Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtCPFC5Q80