Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dowie's post-match comments

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
from the OS

"I'm not worried,” said the Charlton boss in his post-match press conference. "We've got to work hard within the camp to put things right and turn it around.

"When you bring in players as late as we did and don't get a pre-season behind them, it takes bit of time to bed in.

"This game is all about pressure, it's been a disappointing start but we've got to get over it.”

With seven senior players sidelined through injury - including Jonathan Fortune who played with a broken toe in the second half - and Hermann Hreidarsson serving a three-match suspension, Dowie was forced to make changes.

Uruguay international Omar Pouso made his debut against Pompey - who went to the top of the Premiership following the Valley match - while Marcus Bent, Radostin Kishishev and Dennis Rommedahl made their first starts under the new head coach.

Charlton started with a very attacking line-up, including strikers Darren and Marcus Bent as well as Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink behind the front two, but Dowie was not happy with his team's possession in the opening 45 minutes.

"For me if you're going to play with that many offensive players you have to have good ball retention and we didn't have enough first half,” said the manager.

"We looked edgy today but we shouldn't have been after playing so well at Chelsea last week.

"The injuries were a massive blow, but still our ball retention should have been much better.”

Dowie, who changed the shape of his side from a diamond-midfield to a more regimented 4-4-2 after the break, added: "We had good possession in the second half, but we didn't have enough get-up and drive; not enough zip.

"And to lose to their only shot on target in the second-half is disappointing.

"We caused Portsmouth one or two scary moments but small, key moments change games and we have to make sure we start to turn them in our favour.”

On the subject of Charlton's current casualties, there wasn't much good news for Addicks fans.

"I don't expect Djimi Traore of Souleymane Diawara to be back until after the next international break. Andy Reid has an outside chance for Arsenal, so does Gonzalo Sorondo, but I doubt it.

"Fortune played with a broken toe today and Bryan Hughes went down at 11.30am yesterday with a tight groin - he was a key component to how we were going to play today.”

Comments

• Options
    Having read it, i don't disagree with anything he says there.

Fair play to Fortune, some sometimes question whether he wants it enough, but playing with a broken toe says a lot about him.
  • Options
    I was actually very pleased to hear this sort of comment from ID

Personally, and i suspect i won't be the only one, I really wasn't in the mood for a " i can't critisise my players- they gave their all" type comment.
  • Options
    I agree Dowie got it right but I wish he had elaborated on how Bryan Hughes was going to be a "key component" - any guesses anyone???????
  • Options
    I suspect he would have started rather than Ambrose
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Having read it, i don't disagree with anything he says there.

Fair play to Fortune, some sometimes question whether he wants it enough, but playing with a broken toe says a lot about him.

He played with a broken nose once too. Another much maligned honest player.
  • Options
    Good stuff from Dowie, hopefully Hughes would have played instead of Ambrose.

I would rather Fortune had not played - we could have had a point.