Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goal hero Wight-Phillips pleased Addicks have hit ground running

Comments

• Options
    good feedback from BWP
  • Options
    Bradley Wright-Phillips

Hes better than Shaun
  • Options
    I am surprised bigger clubs haven't come in for him, 1 in 3 at a higher level and still not at his peak. I am sure he will get 20+ for us in Championship.
  • Options
    The interview on player made me think of the Butters pimp episode from southpark;

"yes I know what you are saying, you don't have to keep asking" :-)

Good stuff from BWP though let's hope there's plenty more to come.
  • Options
    I am surprised bigger clubs haven't come in for him, 1 in 3 at a higher level and still not at his peak. I am sure he will get 20+ for us in Championship.
    dont tempt fate. 

football rumours only yes: 

Reading are set to make a £600,000 bid for Charlton striker Bradley Wright-Phillips who only has 1 year left on his current contract.

End of August can't come quick enough for me.
  • Options
    Well, when we beat them in the cup next week, he'll realise where it's happening.

Besides, he loves it here. back in the old neighbourhood with his mum and family and in a winning team.
  • Options
    The potential issue ahead was that he only signed for us on a shortish deal - would be good to get it extended at the earliest opportunity.
  • Options
    Would feel much happier if he signed a new contract...he is pure quality at this level and showed he really wants it at Colchester.  Well done Bradley!
  • Options
    So when does his current deal expire? if it's the end of the season, why is he not making demands on him, like he did with waggy & elliot?
  • Options
    I think Bradley joined us on an 18 month deal in January, so his contract runs out in June next year?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Contract up at the end of the season

I imagine he is being tied to Sparrows Lane as we speak... just wonder how much dosh he wants...
  • Options
    Unless we get an absolutely bonkers offer suspect he is not for sale at any price.
  • Options
    So when does his current deal expire? if it's the end of the season, why is he not making demands on him, like he did with waggy & elliot?
    because he's too critical to this season to be upset now i should think and if things go to plan, we'll be in a better position to offer him what he wants at the end of the year i would think
  • Options
    Yes but he has a good season and we will lose him for nought next summer, need to get him tied down now for at least another season
  • Options

Wouldn't think we'd sell him now.

In Jan, assuming he's playing well & scoring he will either sign a new contract or get sold for silly money (for someone with 6 months left) to a Championship club striving for promotion.

• Options
    i couldve sworn we got him on a two and a half year deal. splashing a quarter of a million on an 18 month contract was bonkers!
  • Options
    i couldve sworn we got him on a two and a half year deal. splashing a quarter of a million on an 18 month contract was bonkers!

Reading pulled out of a deal to sign him because of alleged knee problems, I suspect that this may have had something to do with him only getting 18 month deal. Stick a 3 year deal in front of him now & leave the salary blank, tell him to fill in whatever he thinks he's worth because however much he wants it'll be worth it as his goals are going to fire us to promotion
  • Options

This has just been posted on Twitter by 442 from  an interview 'The boy's a bit special ' in 2005

Charlton Athletic forward Bradley Wright-Phillips speaks to FourFourTwo back in 2005, when he was still playing with his brother Shaun at Manchester City.

Nicknames
    Usually people just call me Wrighty or Brad.

As a boy I supported...
    Arsenal. My dad [Ian Wright] used to play for them, so I'd go to a lot of the games. I enjoyed it but I was only a kid at the time and obviously I don't get to see them much these days.

Strengths
    Hmm... I find it difficult to talk about myself as a player, but I suppose pace and technique are my strongest points, and I'm working on my finishing ability.

Weaknesses
    My heading is nowhere near as good as I'd like it to be and my tackling could be better.

I play a bit like...
    I'd like to think I play a bit like my dad and that's who I've based a lot of my game around. I wouldn't mind being able to play like Zinedine Zidane, either. Then again, who would?

Heroes
    My dad and Zidane.

Highlights
    Scoring my first Premiership goal at Middlesbrough will always be special. That and playing a part in the winning goal against Liverpool were highlights of last season. I also played against Russia for England Under-20s so I'd include that – as well as being called up for the Toulon tournament, another big boost. Oh, and winning the Manchester Senior Cup against Manchester United – I enjoyed being part of winning a trophy.

Lowlight

Not winning the reserve league title last season when we were nicely placed to clinch it. We were going well until we lost to bottom club Nottingham Forest and Manchester United nipped in to win it.

Toughest opponent
    Er, Jamie Carragher of Liverpool. I can't think of many others in the Premiership because most of my appearances so far have been from the bench with only a few minutes to play.

Best mate in football
    Karl Bermingham. I've come through the Academy at City with Karl and he's a great guy. I think I'm going over to Ireland this summer to see him. Other good mates at City are Nedum Onuoha, Lee Croft and Willo Flood – we've all grown up together and are close friends.

Club joker
    Ben Thatcher – that guy's just crazy. I won't go into detail but you have to keep on eye on Thatch at all times.

Best advice given
    My dad told me to always get my shots on target, Frankie Bunn at the Academy said as a striker I need to get in the box at every opportunity, and Mike Summerbee said that I have to turn and head straight for goal whenever I can.

Best players played with
    Robbie Fowler and Nicolas Anelka because they are strikers at the top of their game. It's always good playing alongside my brother as well.

Tunes
    Anything by Kanye West, Kayno and Usher.

Wheels
    Audi A3 – I've not had it long. Either that or I'll borrow one of Shaun's!

Chicks
    I'd have to go for Christina Milian.

Flicks
    Lord of the Rings, Troy and The Wanderers.

Holiday destination
    Nowhere has matched up to Florida – at least not so far.

TV programmes
    My Wife and Kids.

Most embarrassing moment
    At last year's Man City Player of the Year awards I came third in the Young Player category. I thought they announced the winner in reverse order and went on stage to collect a memento of some kind – but they only wanted the winner up on stage. That's my most embarrassing moment by some distance!

If I hadn't been a footballer...
    I'd be involved in music in some way.

How did you get the scar above your eye?
    I can't remember how old I was, but I was small when it happened. Shaun took a swing with a cricket bat, I was too close and the bat caught me just over the eye. Hence the scar. It was an accident – that's all that matters to me!

Describe yourself in five words

I'm very hard to please.

Being SWP's brother is...
    Beneficial, because he's always there to advise me and has played in the Premiership for many years now. Plus he always looks out for me, and always has done.

In five years' time I'll be...
    Hopefully a first-team regular at City and top scorer in the Premiership!

Interview: David Clayton. From the August 2005 issue of FourFourTwo

• Options

hmm didnt quite pan out ...
  • Options
    That is a great interview given how long ago it was and his age at the time.  

• Sponsored links:

• Options

He's been the first to admit that though and has said his attitude
    wasn't right at that time. He's clearly hungry to get back there and
    hopefully he'll do that with us. Top pro just like the rest of his
    family
  • Options

Still could though.

Hopefully with us, if not then I see him doing it within 5 years. The guy is a natural goal scorer.

• Options

Still could though.

Hopefully with us, if not then I see him doing it within 5 years. The guy is a natural goal scorer.

That was within 5 years in 2005...so he needs another 5 now!