Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I cant help but notice...

how anti-day off every one is on here. all the threads are making me feel guilty.
just want to make it clear that im only off coz my boss told me not to come in. How can i refuse that? I am a good hard working so-en-so! I never have sick days and usually just punch on through. dont judge me!

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Who are you trying to covince, us or yourself? ;-)
  • Options
    both i think?!?
  • Options
    Personally cannot see the harm in people working from home if they can. Unfortunately some mug (ME) still has to come in as if the internet crashes (Which it has already twice today) they cannot log into their work computers.
  • Options
    like large said in another post, i don't think its bad to have an odd day off for certain conditions, if you're really stuck but it causes resentment(jealousy) if someone you know could have got in if they'd really tried. people give up too easily. a mate at bexley said he waited 1/2 hour for atrain and then gave up. sorry, thats not good enough, he could have got buses elsewhere, or another line, or even driven somewhere closer.

my flatmate works at canary wharf, and gets to the station and thinks "what a nightmare will be here for ages, i might go home"
    erm...we can walk to lewisham from our flat in 30 mins. no excuse, just pure laziness

i'm not saying thats what you've done carlsberg, as if my boss had rung me and said "don't bother" i probably wouldn't of, but i've got so much work to do, would have worked twice as long tomorrow which isn't much fun either!!

same with teh sick argument. i went home yseterday as i was sick 3 times at work. felt ill everytime i looked at my monitor and had the shakes. there was nothing i could do so i went home at 3.30. considering i felt bad since 11am i didnt think that was too bad holding out. some people sneeze and go home with flu! (no names ketman....)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    im taking bets that ketman dont make it to 12:00.
    i agree suzi, iknow loads of people that taka da piss. It is slightly diffrent for me im working 8 stories up on balconys over hanging the thames so very dangerous/cold!!
    must be hard for you office types tho i look at this screen for an hour and my sepperds pies are killing me. couldnt do that all day. Also i do a lot of lifting and lugging and my back feels fine. But when i sit in this office chair it hurts.
  • Options
    "how anti-day off every one is on here. all the threads are making me feel guilty.
    just want to make it clear that im only off coz my boss told me not to come in. How can i refuse that? I am a good hard working so-en-so! I never have sick days and usually just punch on through. dont judge me! "

I used to be anti day off and battle in come what may. However, despite working more hours than in my contract, never using my full annual leave entitlement and never taking a day off sick I recently nearly got made redundant cos I was in the wrong part of the organisation at the wrong time. Whereas Joe Bloggs down the corridor who was never in the office was safe as houses. Made me realise that it is a faceless world and these people would shaft you at a drop of a hat.

Moral of the tale - work hard and do you your hours (but no more unless they are paying o/t), if you are sick then stay at home, if you can work from home do it as often as possible.

If you want to be a martyr then well bloody done.

I will be going home just after lunch - via the pub and do not feel in the slightest bit guilty.

Bitter? Not me ............................
  • Options
    I work from home 2 (usually stretch it to a cheeky 3) days a week anyway. I will probably go in tomorow coz I fancy a pint with a mate just back from his hols.

I am 44 years old this year and have been commuting to the city for 26 fucking years ! I am pig sick of working in that shit hole for brainless corporate wankers and yes I have earned the right to skive off. My 18 year old was up with the lark and off to get a train into work this morning coz she has only been doing it 5 minutes. Fuck the snow, that aint snow by anyone elses calculation except Britains. I blame the government for EVERYTHING including my irrational behaviour....bastards!
  • Options
    i dont think its fair people come into the office spreading their germs, they're sick why make us all sick. stay at home dont be a martyr.
  • Options
    I always used to struggle in whatever my state of health or travel conditions.

A few years back though a colleague who worked there 27 years was made redundant and was given nothing. The reason: she was past retirement age and thus had no statutory redundancy rights. The firm acted perfectly correctly legally but morally? That is another story in my view.

Anyway it gave me a pretty good idea of the regard (or not) that they had for their employees. As a consequence, given that the snow was predicted in advance, I made plans to work at home.

I can look at myself in the mirror re my commitment over the nearly 26 years I've been at my firm.

If not going in today makes me a workshy cretin in other peoples eyes so be it! I don't care!
  • Options
    There were a couple of car accidents on the road outside the house today, plus someone in hospital cause they stacked it on the pavement, so had a good enough reason to stay in.

Saying that I'll be in tomorrow, but the bike staying, no chance of cycling when the roads are covered in glass and black ice.