Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich congestion charge - from my councillor

Back to the congestion charge:

Chris Roberts (leader of Greenwich council) statement says: The issue of traffic congestion has concerned many residents for as long as most of us can remember. As derelict former industrial sites are regenerated they bring with them uses which will to some degree generate additional traffic use. While it is our hope to constrain this as much as possible, it nevertheless means there is likely to be yet further pressure on the A206 through east and west Greenwich. Of all the issues raised with both myself and my colleagues, none is mentioned as repeatedly as that of the volume of traffic. It is therefore important for us to address this problem and to that end we have with the support of Transport for London bid to secure resources from the Department of Transport to consider options for reducing traffic through the A206 corridor. This will include traffic modelling of potential options including charging which can then inform a thorough debate and discussion which needs to be had with local residents and businesses. This includes a survey of local residents and businesses.
It is important to stress that the Council has made no decisions and will not do so in advance of understanding the impact of any proposal on local businesses and the views of local residents. We urge everyone to engage in this discussion which is designed to address what many have told us is the single most significant problem affecting the quality of
life for people in SE10."

At the same time I have been given a statement from Ken Livingstone's office "There is no 'third' congestion charging zone. The only planned extension of the zone is the 'Western extension', which will go live on 19 February, relieving congestion in one of the worst effected parts of the UK. "Greenwich council approached Transport for London in 2005 to ask for advice on cutting the traffic congestion that they feel is having a detrimental effect in their borough. Transport for London have been assisting Greenwich Council to look at ways to cut traffic growth and deter unnecessary journeys. This has included asking local residents what their travel patterns are, finding out what traffic conditions exist, and gauging reaction to different methods of reducing congestion. There is no commitment to any scheme at this stage. The decision on the best way to reduce the effects of congestion in Greenwich would be taken by Greenwich council, and will take into account all of the views of the local community."

Comments

• Options
    already a thread running on this, in future can we try and keep discussions of the same topic in the same thread, cheers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]already a thread running on this, in future can we try and keep discussions of the same topic in the same thread, cheers

YEAH!!!!
  • Options
    Razil must be a woolwich line user
  • Options
    :P
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Razil must be a woolwich line user

NAILED ON.

And if the Woolwich line is shut he'll revert to a motorcycle combination....
  • Options
    actually I flit between Greenwich line (not Woolwich thankyou) or Eltham. This morning I was seconded into doing the school run in the 4x4 so Eltham it was.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]actually I flit between Greenwich line (not Woolwich thankyou) or Eltham. This morning I was seconded into doing the school run in the 4x4 so Eltham it was.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This should be on the ' South Eastern trains ' thread
  • Options
    I always thought you'd be the Chelsea Tractor type!!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well I do come from West Greenwich...

No actually I'm only an F, Chelsea tractors are G and upwards.. (I think)
  • Options
    where did you get this from, Razil?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2007
    My councillor Mary Mills, Chris Roberts is also one of my councillors..
  • Options
    Ooh, ta.

Funny Chris Roberts is blaming all the retail developments for the increased traffic. Well, whose council allowed that to happen?
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Love the bit about derelict industrial states being developed - this should read every square inch of developable land in East/West Greenwich being made into ugly out of character high density 4-5 story high rise flats by Greedy developers !!
  • Options
    Lovell's Wharf will go that way soon...
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Perhaps if the feckers had built a proper bridge or tunnel across Blackwall in the past 40 years instead of worry about disturbing the breeding ground of the the turd coloured bull thrush the there would be no congestion problem in Greenwich, after all people just want to get through it to where they are going. Its not like there is anything worth saving since the Tunnel Club shut down, next thing you know they will be listing the Gas holders on their architectural merit and bottling the eggy smell from the gas works and selling it is a "Brave new urban fragrance"
  • Options
    the eggy smell comes from Tunnel Refineries, I'd probably bottle it if I moved away from the area because it'd remind me of home!
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Its more malty than eggy I think - I live off Tunnel Ave (the 'nicer' end..)
  • Options
    the sooner they extend the congestion charge all the way out to zone 3 the better as far as i'm concerned...all these yokels driving into town every day, polluting the place, talking on their mobiles while driving, ignoring traffic lights psses me right off...charge 'em all and pay for the olympics that way...
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd be in favour of a toll on the tunnel during peak, but it'd have to be a prepay one not toll booths etc.
  • Options
    i work directly opposite the tunnel refinary, nasty spell, espesh when with a hangover! when i lived with me Ma, it used to be the worst, as when i had hangover it made ya feel worse!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It used to be a hell of a lot worse, I used to live close to Tunnel Avenue and you got the whiff every day. Now it just wafts across to Darren Bent and co in the Legoland flats instead...
  • Options
    i love benty, i am his stalker innit!
  • Options
    That's what it says on the court order, I believe.
  • Options
    the smell is wet wheat
  • Options
    I do find even the idea of charging outrageous...the cause of the congestion is the bloody 'traffic calming measures' all along the road into greenwich....3 sets of traffic lights for no reason and bus stops built out so if you're behind a bus, then you're stuck there....

Car drivers are an easy target and I'm fed up with it. Fact is, that most traffic through Greenwich is not from residents - it's from further out, with people passing through Greenwich to get into town - usually cos the public transport is unrelaible / non-existent etc and there are only 2 routes in to town from SE London / Kent.

Petrol tax, road tax, parking tax and now (potentially) this. Bastards.
  • Options
    er dude, I think locals would be exempt..