Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope and Bover confirmed

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2386329,00.html

Charlton have continued their summer of rebuilding by snapping up promising youngsters Nick Pope and Ruben Bover Izquierdo.

Spanish midfielder Izquierdo, formerly on the books of Real Mallorca, has been awarded a contract after impressing on trial last season, while goalkeeper Pope arrives from Bury Town.

Comments

• Options
    Interesting that Pope is both 18 and 19!
  • Options
    Disgusted by the fact that Pope is wearing an outfield strip in his photo - this is the second goalkeeper that we've signed who wants to play out pitch after Matt Taylor last week.

Disgraceful. Powell out.

;)
  • Options
    Pope looks like one of the young male actors from East Enders
  • Options
    Technically it's a training kit shirt ;-)
  • Options

How tall are they?

• Options
    I do hope, now he's moved south, that Pope is going to stop letting his Mum cut his hair.
  • Options
    good to see we are investing in bringing in youth as well, something to grow under the stewardship of paul hart and will cost only peanuts very positive imo
  • Options
    i thought Pope was RedArmySE7 
  • Options
    Another reference to a "development squad" which sits between the Academy and the first team.

I like the concept that there is a separate focus on this young men and their development needs
  • Options

Great at crosses apparently

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disgusted by the fact that Pope is wearing an outfield strip in his photo - this is the second goalkeeper that we've signed who wants to play out pitch after Matt Taylor last week.

Disgraceful. Powell out.

;)

More to the point why have we signed Harry Potter?

• Options
    because as of this week Harry is out of work does he die who knows this may be an indication that Harry P is RIP
  • Options
    Nah...Bieber Fever strikes SE7.
  • Options
    My friend done his work experience with Charlton as he wants to be a goalkeeper, he trained with Elliott, Sullivan, Worner and Roberts was his coach for a couple of weeks. He said to me when he came back that we had a very skillful and talented left footed player on trial called Ruben Bover, ever since I have been looking out for him and I really hope he gets the right development as he could become a great player for us if he improves on his physical side of the game. Pope I know nothing about but we wouldn't have signed him if there wasn't clear potential there. Overall I am very pleased with these two development players and it shows we are going in the right direction IMO.
  • Options
    The show of intent and willing to invest in this area is great news. No idea on the individuals.
  • Options
    Bover is 19, so he isn't that young anymore. More a back up / fring player for the first team than a youth at that age. Maybe a place on the bench for JPT games etc.
  • Options

These two may or not make it through but it shows that Charlton now have the finances to support this type of development policy for players not come through the Academy but with clear potential. Same goes for Pritchard.
  • Options
    Bover is 19, so he isn't that young anymore. More a back up / fring player for the first team than a youth at that age. Maybe a place on the bench for JPT games etc.

19 is still young, most non-British leagues consider players of that age to still be learning the game and devolping physically and mentally. In Britain we throw them in, over-play them and then slag them off mercilessly when their confidence gets shot or they pick up a series of niggling injuries.
  • Options
    Face? bovvered?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This Ruben chap is very highly rated is he not? Can't remember where I was reading about him (probably here) but people were talking him up to be the next Iniesta!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interview on OS now.  Sounds a good lad.
  • Options

What I like about Ruben is his attitude.

I've been following him on twitter since last season and he has been raring to go since. Also I reckon Having Alonso around will be great for him on and off the pitch!

• Options
    edited February 2012
  • Options
    He fits the mould of modern goalies as he's pretty tall - good to see he's got some potential too and the club have tied him down.
  • Options
    Interesting to see if Pope goes on loan to a club higher than the BSS before the end of the season. Must have something about him if we have signed him up for another couple of years.
  • Options
    Nick Pope is currently on Question of Sport.

And, yes, I did only bump this to try and compete with Paulie's infamous ancient post bumping.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Nick Pope is currently on Question of Sport.

And, yes, I did only bump this to try and compete with Paulie's infamous ancient post bumping.

7 year bump
    Credit @Chizz
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Didn't realise Bover was at Barnet now. Remember when there was loads of extra security at Sparrows Lane because the Spanish wonderkid was playing.

https://thesetpieces.com/interviews/ruben-bover-barnet-midfielder-learned-thierry-henry-mls/

• Options
    Barnet released Bover in the summer, he doesn’t seem to have a club at the moment.