Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Work sickies

Is it me or are the youth of today a bunch of bleeding malingerers - honestly never known such a bunch of fannys then the lot that work for me.

And they moan when they get shit pay rises.

GRRRRRRRR

Comments

• Options
    and when they do bother coming in they spend all day on a football forum. what is the world coming to? :-)
  • Options
    i've only ever had 4 days sick in my whole life (school and work) and they were all genuine.

if i sneeze once in the office some people say "oh is that the start of flu"?

i say "no its fecking dust from your desk where you hardly do any work and you're hardly in as you're always off sick"

wimps
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]i've only ever had 4 days sick in my whole life (school and work) and they were all genuine.

if i sneeze once in the office some people say "oh is that the start of flu"?

i say "no its fecking dust from your desk where you hardly do any work and you're hardly in as you're always off sick"

wimps

i've never had a day off work now in 2 1/2 years. i feel guilty about not coming in to be honest unless its physically impossible. besides i get 6 bonus days holiday if i'm not ill in a year!!
  • Options
    i'm saying nothing.....
  • Options
    6 days bonus???

I only get 20 days a year holiday. i wish we got rewarded for coming in!!!! (what we're actually paid to do!!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]6 days bonus???

I only get 20 days a year holiday. i wish we got rewarded for coming in!!!! (what we're actually paid to do!!)

yup, 1 day for every quarter you're not sick and if you do it for the whole year you get another 2!
  • Options
    I think Call Centres are generally the worse staff for this. At LTSB there were three or four staff of at least once EVERY week in the Call Centre. Thing is sacking the buggers is not as easy as it sounds nowadays.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

yup, 1 day for every quarter you're not sick and if you do it for the whole year you get another 2!

thats amazing, in my old firm this was a nightmare for me and a pal who worked the same dept! We were hardly sick in 6 years, didnt get fuckall for it, when others had loads of days off paid! Some firms do take the mick, and like your westy side some are great!

On this funny ol subject, i hate it when the smokers are allowed more breaks just cos they frigging smoke! Again in my old firm i didnt smoke, but when i wanted a cuppa, they would moan if i stood with the smokers having a 'fresh air' break, in my appraisals i used to get bollocked for standing out there! Work this out, 2 minute (yeah right more like 5) fag break twice (yeah right more like 5) a day, for 5 days a week, in a year it is about 2 days off! and thats being kind! Firms should reward non smokers with a day in lieu of something, anything. its bollocks it is!

rant over
  • Options
    why not AFKA bit of a sicknote are we
  • Options
    Blimey, you lot are harsh!

Now and again you're just too ill to go to work and I also think that now and again a well timed sick day's not such a bad idea either.

So long as people are getting their work done and hitting their deadlines and we're talking 3 or 4 per year tops then I really don't see what's all that wrong with a sick day during down time.

Not the case in my new job yet (I'm sure it'll come!) but in my old one I worked far more than my contracted hours EVERY week (often 60/70 hours a week) so 2 or 3 times a year when things were a bit quieter I gave myself a day off in lieu! Self preservation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

thats amazing, in my old firm this was a nightmare for me and a pal who worked the same dept! We were hardly sick in 6 years, didnt get fuckall for it, when others had loads of days off paid! Some firms do take the mick, and like your westy side some are great!

On this funny ol subject, i hate it when the smokers are allowed more breaks just cos they frigging smoke! Again in my old firm i didnt smoke, but when i wanted a cuppa, they would moan if i stood with the smokers having a 'fresh air' break, in my appraisals i used to get bollocked for standing out there! Work this out, 2 minute (yeah right more like 5) fag break twice (yeah right more like 5) a day, for 5 days a week, in a year it is about 2 days off! and thats being kind! Firms should reward non smokers with a day in lieu of something, anything. its bollocks it is!

rant over

bad innit. i mean, in a way, why should you be rewarded for working to what you are paid for, thats what your salary covers. it does create bad feeling when some who have a good attendance are not praised but then those that take sick days get away with it.
    i'd feel too guilty to have a day off sick. plus in my department, if i was off for a few days, i'd come back to a bigger mountain of work on my desk than i do at the moment, and the thought of that puts me off. those in big companies where other people can pick up the work can get away with it.

i used to take cig breaks, but most of my office smoked at the time. now i make sure i take a break in the morning and pm, even if its a 2 min walk down to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. its not actually healthy to stay at your pc for solid hours. cig smokers probably get more fresh air than i do in a day as my lunch is already here and i don't go out during my lunch hour!

in my old company after 6pm you could smoke at your desk. that was weird. we always used to end up working till 7, so used to smoke whilst we worked. thats weird. been smoking (fags) an odd bit recently socially, and going to stop after watching a prog about healing last night. was horrible.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Blimey, you lot are harsh!

Now and again you're just too ill to go to work and I also think that now and again a well timed sick day's not such a bad idea either.

So long as people are getting their work done and hitting their deadlines and we're talking 3 or 4 per year tops then I really don't see what's all that wrong with a sick day during down time.

Not the case in my new job yet (I'm sure it'll come!) but in my old one I worked far more than my contracted hours EVERY week (often 60/70 hours a week) so 2 or 3 times a year when things were a bit quieter I gave myself a day off in lieu! Self preservation.

i don't really get a quiet time in my job, able to just take days off. even tho i only get 20 days, last year i nearly lost the days as i didn't have time to take them and had 8 days to take 3 weeks before the holiday expired!!

this year i have 5 days left to take before end of march. but using em up when i eventually move.

talking of which, where have you been (working hard? ;-) ) and have you moved yet?
  • Options
    Didn't get a lot of downtime in my old job either but if you were clever you could isolate the odd bit of time here and there.

There were only 13 of us based in London heading up the international team - all SVP's other than me so now and again they'd go to LA and I wouldn't have to so I'd just stay home, check my E-mail intermittently and have a bit of time out (or come in and spend the afternoon in the pub with my PA!).

Sick days are wrong if someone else is having to pick up your work for you but wasn't the case in my job and they were getting far more than their pound of flesh out of me still! I am really hard working (just ask my mates who were forever sat around waiting for me to finish work up until about 10 o' clock!) and believe in earning your money but think you have to be careful not to be too loyal to these corporate machines as they'll keep taking and not give anything like as much back.
  • Options

alright Passit, long time no see on charlton life. are ya well??

Anyway regarding what ya say re 'So long as people are getting their work done and hitting their deadlines' i cant agree, as all work places are different of course. I fsay my colleuge who shares my dept here goes off sick, i have double the work to do, then i get behind then get bollocked for not doing all of it!, and that is anytime during the year! People who take sickies need to be beaten up !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

talking of which, where have you been (working hard? ;-) ) and have you moved yet?

Has been a while - been really busy changing jobs, handover at my old place and then endless meetings when I joined here to try and get up to speed - just haven't had chance to get on here really.

No, haven't managed to move yet but had an offer accepted on a place in Sidcup (moving all of about quarter of a mile!) last week which I'm pretty excited about so hoping that'll go through without too many problems (it's a new build so possibly through within 5 weeks they reckon!).

Seems as though you've purchased sucessfully then? Congrats! Lee?
  • Options
    I work for a Japanese company - the Japanese guys take a days holiday if they are off sick!! Good discipline...
    Me myself, I've had one or two days off in the last ten years, that is apart from 7 weeks with a leg in plaster (they wouldn't let me in the office as the insurance didn't cover it and I work 8 floors up) and 3 months off after a back operation (when they still gave me my full holiday allocation for the year - still unused 3 years later). I prefer to share ordinary germs and save up the sick leave for a major occasions. Still, work my balls off when i'm here...
  • Options
    Alright MCS. Not too bad thanks - just settling in to my new job - haven't really had the chance to get on here before now (they're absolute internet nazi's here as well so I could well be banned at any time!).

Yeah, that's fair enough - if it has a negative impact on someone else then it's wrong. In my case that wasn't what happened, other than my PA no-one worked for me so it was all my responsibility - it was just a bit of time management!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]

Has been a while - been really busy changing jobs, handover at my old place and then endless meetings when I joined here to try and get up to speed - just haven't had chance to get on here really.

No, haven't managed to move yet but had an offer accepted on a place in Sidcup (moving all of about quarter of a mile!) last week which I'm pretty excited about so hoping that'll go through without too many problems (it's a new build so possibly through within 5 weeks they reckon!).

Seems as though you've purchased sucessfully then? Congrats! Lee?

well....hope so. supposedly exchanging this week.....we'll see tho! yes, in lee.
    we're moving across the road, should save on removal van!! high street sidcup or lower sidcup?
  • Options
    didnt no ya had a new job, nice one dood.

good luck with the exchange suz (and Les if ya watching), i hope it works out good
  • Options
    If they paid me more money then maybe i'd care about whether they care if i have a day off!!