Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Crowds over the years

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
My Dad was re-counting some Charlton stories with me last night, he was looking through a Thick Red Book not sure what it was called, but it had every single result, team attendance from Charlton games. One thing we noticed in some seasons particularly the seventies was our attanedances fluctuated wildly, one season I think our first game pulled in 6,000, yet this had changed to over 20,000 within a matter of a month and one game later on pulled in 30,000+. He also metioned about our away support which used to be pheneominal, even when we were getting 7,000-8,000 at home 2,000-3,000 were going to Rotherham, Colchester, Burnley away soemtimes even in midweek, we cannot even do that at most Premier league grounds now.
Just goes to show the support used to be there if the team was any good. We have probably only got about 15,000 proper CAFC fans (Not Premiership fans) now, not sure if we'll ever get back to what we had. I also found out the year of the Gillingham Game I went to which was my first one, it was 1974 & I was 4 years old.

Comments

• Options
    Always a good reference site this one. I use it frequently when putting the Nigels right about our comparative gates over the years.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/chaa.htm
  • Options
    Even when i started doing the away games in the early nineties, we would always take a minimum 500-700 everywhere, midweek or not, and that when we were getting crowds over Upton Park of 4-5000.

Now our home crowd has increased times five, those numbers still haven't changed.
  • Options
    Away games have though gone up in cost dramatically in that time both in terms of tickets and travel and more games are televised these days. Remember when Match of the Day was one game shown in decent length plus highlights of two games, even when we were in Division One in the '80s we never got on TV. Every week now there is a decent highlights package on TV and every goal gets shown.